Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum

New to Forum

Hello Everyone. I've pretty much made up my mind to switch over to Cricket, but I've still got a lot to learn about flashing and rooting Androids. There is so much info on here! It's awesome. Greetings from the Rio Grande Valley. I look forward to our interchanges.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Welcome to Cricket Users!

I look forward to your future posts.

Have you decided which phone you're going to get?

Thank you.

I'd like a Droid 3. I saw Chrisngrod's video tutorial to flash it. But after seeing the prices they go for on Ebay I'm a little hesitant. I'm thinking about getting a Droid 2 for now and then waiting until the prices for the D3 go down some.

At this point a D2 seems fine. I'm coming from a Symbian Device, and quite frankly, the OS is outdated.

I can't wait to get all those handy apps!

Quote Originally Posted by jrdz View Post
    Thank you.

I'd like a Droid 3. I saw Chrisngrod's video tutorial to flash it. But after seeing the prices they go for on Ebay I'm a little hesitant. I'm thinking about getting a Droid 2 for now and then waiting until the prices for the D3 go down some.

At this point a D2 seems fine. I'm coming from a Symbian Device, and quite frankly, the OS is outdated.

I can't wait to get all those handy apps!
    I really think you will like Android.

After you get your phone all set up on Cricket, please come back and let us know how you like it. Do you know of anyone in your area that has Cricket?

I had Cricket a while back, but I wanted to upgrade to a smartphone. Since Cricket's handsets were all feature phones I switched carriers. I ended up with a Nokia E71 on Straight Talk. But Symbian has been overlooked so I'm looking to switch again.

I will try to flash the Droid 2 on my own. If I can't I know of a local shop that does it.

Sifting through the forum, I've noticed a few users who are in my area who've had luck with flashing their phones. I am still confused about whether or not my area is dual band as well as tri band. Thus far I've gathered that if my area is tri band only I'll be at risk of being switched to another plan, or what's worse being disconnected(?).

The Coverage map on the Cricket website shows my area as a tri band area. Does anyone know for sure if South Texas supports dual band handsets?

I had Cricket a while back, but I wanted to upgrade to a smartphone. Since Cricket's handsets were all feature phones I switched carriers. I ended up with a Nokia E71 on Straight Talk. But Symbian has been overlooked so I'm looking to switch again.

I will try to flash the Droid 2 on my own. If I can't I know of a local shop that does it.

Sifting through the forum, I've noticed a few users who are in my area who've had luck with flashing their phones. I am still confused about whether or not my area is dual band as well as tri band. Thus far I've gathered that if my area is tri band only I'll be at risk of being switched to another plan, or what's worse being disconnected(?).

The Coverage map on the Cricket website shows my area as a tri band area. Does anyone know for sure if South Texas supports dual band handsets?
    If the coverage map shows you're in a Tri-Band (AWS) area, then you need to use a Cricket phone. You're right that it is possible to use a flashed phone but eventually you will most likely get moved to another plan and eventually get disconnected. By using a flashed phone on Cricket in your area, you're really just using Sprint's network, not Cricket's. I would definitely recommend a Cricket phone for you. You might want to look into the Huawei Glory, which is going to be Cricket's most powerful phone when it comes out.

If you do decide to flash your phone, we can do it for you, but using a flashed phone in your area is done at your own risk. Store

Here is some additional information: http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...t-worries.html

I figured as much from reading through the forum. I had read already read the FAQ. Still, I'm going to give it a shot and see how I fare.
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Huawei. It's resemblance to the iPhone is uncanny. I dislike iPhones though, so that's out.

One thing you said stood out though. What do you mean by "eventually"?

Also, I read in another thread that Cricket's acquisition of Pocket in my area would be helpful for me, since I plan to use a flashed phone. I don't know if that changes anything.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Welcome jrdz to the forums! i live in Donna so i can help you out when it comes to flashing.

Excellent! How has your experience with a flashed handset in the Valley been?

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Excellent! How has your experience with a flashed handset in the Valley been?
    Well for a basic flashed phone original cricket prls would work great , but since the network upgrade full flashed suffered. For data to work here you'd need either prl 58008 or its hybrid and I get 3g on my thunderbolt ^^

Sent from my Thunderbolt 4G using Tapatalk
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Ah. I see. I'm reading through the Official Cricket PRL Thread right now. I see there is a lot of discussion about the Valley and getting flashed phones up and running. You think I'll get 3G on the D2? Also is it erratic, or relatively stable?

It'd be a shame to limit the smartphone's capabilities. I'm afraid of flashing the phone and then having a smartphone that's only good for calling.

Isn't that funny though? A couple of decades ago people were impressed with the idea of a phone you could take with you. Now, if your phone is only good for voice, then it's archaic.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Lol my phone has had no problems. I see where your going though, basic flash just sucks. There are several tutorials on full flashing your phone and just change the prl to the one I uploaded on the Prl thread. And if you need any help ill be here or any other member will sure help ^^

One thing you said stood out though. What do you mean by "eventually"?
    You might not get switched to the other plan right away, but it might happen in time. I've heard of people getting switched to it but I don't remember talking to anyone on here that has.

I appreciate you answering my questions. I'd also like to thank everyone in advance, because I know I'm bound to have questions in the future.

I've never flashed or rooted anything, so I'm completely ignorant, but I look forward to it. It'll be fun. I'd rather do it on my own and use the money I saved to support this forum, which is better because rather than doing it for me, the info on here taught me to do it myself.

I've begun to distrust "professionals". First I had an incident where my motorcycle was idling rough (or weak), so I took it to a shop. They called me saying the bike was good to go. I took it home and realized that my idle was unusually high. I was well over the appropriate rpms. I removed my air box and realized all they did was raise my idle speed to keep it from idling rough. They turned a screw and charged me one hundred dollars. I eventually learned my air/fuel mixture was off. A ten dollar jet fixed that. Then I tried to get a Bluetooth kit installed and the shop guys couldn't even remove my headunit! Furthermore, they said my particular BT unit was incompatible with my car. I bought an SOT harness on eBay, a set of keys for my headunit off Amazon, and installed it myself for all of eighteen dollars.

But what really did it for me happened just this week. A mechanic that was "fixing" my car called me after a seven day wait to tell me that my car was sitting in an impound lot in Alamo. His helper was arrested while driving my car drunk!

Sorry about the tirade, but I've come to the conclusion that professional help should be sought out once all means have been exhausted and I wanted to share that using some of the funny incidents I've gone through.

By the way, which PRL should I use? You referred to the one in the PRL thread, but there's a few of them.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

That's another reason why I do everything myself. The prl for you would be 58008 hybrid should be on page 13 I think

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information