Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: newbie here

Overall activity: 4.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury Ice

newbie here

Hi my name is Angel and I currently have a huawei ascend it's rooted but is pretty much stock I am scared to put a rom on it, I kinda like my mms lol, anyhow I came to this site when I was looking for a way to flash a samsung moment to cricket for my husband to use and thus far have had no luck I am hoping I will be able to find an answer here eventually. It's nice to meet everyone.
    Last edited by Angel Elovich; 05-05-2011 at 06:28 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Elovich View Post
    Hi my name is Angel and I currently have a huawei ascend it's rooted but is pretty much stock I am scared to put a rom on it, I kinda like my mms lol, anyhow I came to this site when I was looking for a way to flash a samsung moment to cricket for my husband to use and thus far have had no luck I am hoping I will be able to find an answer here eventually. It's nice to meet everyone.
    ROM flashing is not nearly as complicated as it sounds. If you have rooted, then the rest is just downloads and following instructions. It is nearly impossible to actually brick your phone if you take precautions. Let me know if you want to try it, and I can point you in the right direction. I currently run the 2.3 mod Cyanogenmod 7, and love it.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury Ice

Do you lose mms that's pretty much all I have read on roms and would I lose swype

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Do you lose mms that's pretty much all I have read on roms and would I lose swype
    Both CM6 and CM7 have full MMS with no modifications needed. The only thing that CM7 does not have is a functional camcorder. Both will also allow you to increase your processor speed, making the phone perform faster. You will lose swype, but you will gain the 2.2 or 2.3 (depending on which version of CM you use) predictive test keyboard. Honestly, I never used Swype once I tried Swiftkeyboard. That app will basically write texts for you after about a week of use. Both ROMs are still considered works in progress, but CM6 is complete and totally stable. The devs are still adding things to them both, so they might do a new version at some point with added functionality. The nice thing about flashing is every ROM flashes using the same procedure, so if you do it once, you will know everything you need to know to do it again.

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Welcome! Thanks for providing some clarity for her Dsanders. Unforutnatley, I am not an Ascend user. I thought someone would offer to sell me theirs at a good cost after flashing their phone. Actually one lady did and then took back that offer. Bummer.

With root you can also tether if you ever need to do that...
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Welcome! Thanks for providing some clarity for her Dsanders. Unforutnatley, I am not an Ascend user. I thought someone would offer to sell me theirs at a good cost after flashing their phone. Actually one lady did and then took back that offer. Bummer.

With root you can also tether if you ever need to do that...
    Check PM.......

Phone
    Huawei Mercury Ice

I had looked up cm7 the camera issue is the camcorder only right? If I backed up the download for swype would I be able to download it back on there? I have tried swiftkey and slideit on the samsung moment but they are only trials right? I hate onscreen keyboards lol swype was a main reason I choose this phone (My mom and dad have it so I got to try before bought it).

Chris I did know about tethering that's actually the only reason I rooted my phone, would I loose the ability to tether? I have tethered my phones for internet for the last few years and that's my only source of internet. Sorry about all the questions but I am new to all this andriod stuff and really don't want to mess up my phone... One more thing I already have a backup of stock (after I started messing with my phone so did my dad and he deleted stuff he shouldn't have and I had to do a complete wipe and restore on his phone) If for some reason I don't like cm7 could I start over like I could if changed the operating system on my computer but made a factory image first so I could revert back if I didn't like it?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Sanders would probably be able to give a better response, but check if there's a stock ROM image out there... I think there might be.

Swype usually is device dependent so it may or may not work with that ROM. Again I hope someone chimes in. The new Swiftkey coming out is pretty darn good, but it still has some bugs. I think those are mainly apparent when I try to post Facebook comments setting desktop as the client, with Dolphin Browser.

Tethering should be fairly simple to get setup again.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I had looked up cm7 the camera issue is the camcorder only right? If I backed up the download for swype would I be able to download it back on there? I have tried swiftkey and slideit on the samsung moment but they are only trials right? I hate onscreen keyboards lol swype was a main reason I choose this phone (My mom and dad have it so I got to try before bought it).

Chris I did know about tethering that's actually the only reason I rooted my phone, would I loose the ability to tether? I have tethered my phones for internet for the last few years and that's my only source of internet. Sorry about all the questions but I am new to all this andriod stuff and really don't want to mess up my phone... One more thing I already have a backup of stock (after I started messing with my phone so did my dad and he deleted stuff he shouldn't have and I had to do a complete wipe and restore on his phone) If for some reason I don't like cm7 could I start over like I could if changed the operating system on my computer but made a factory image first so I could revert back if I didn't like it?
    Here is the Stock Image

http://www.filedropper.com/m860v100r001c153b251sp03

(Hit the Gray Button)
    And as for Swype, there is a way to get it back, but I have never done it. Let me see if I can dig you up a link for it. Btw, If you have done a stock recovery, Flashing a ROM will be a breeze for you.

Edit: Looks like the Swype I see is a Beta for a newer version coming to the Ascend 2. It Has not been confirmed to work with CM6/7, but should work with rooted Stock. Here is the link, but it is a bit technical. Going to do some more research and see if it is really as daunting as it looks, but it is probably not.

http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-...root-reqd.html

Last edited by Dsanders77; 05-05-2011 at 06:55 PM.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Just got a Tweet that Issac fixed the camcorder. CM7 is now a complete ROM. New build should be up soon.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury Ice

I already have the stock image on a sd card and back up on my computer so that's not a problem. I guess it won't hurt to try and if I don't like it I can always go back to stock. Lol now if someone could help with flashing that moment llike the help I have gotten with changing my rom lol

Phone
    Huawei Mercury Ice

NEvermind
    Last edited by Angel Elovich; 05-06-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury Ice

OK I put cm7 om my phone other than style I don't see much difference I was hoping to get flash-player 10.1 but cant even find it. So what does this ROM bring to my phone just wondering

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

OK I put cm7 om my phone other than style I don't see much difference I was hoping to get flash-player 10.1 but cant even find it. So what does this ROM bring to my phone just wondering
    Flash will never be on the Ascend. It does not have the hardware to support it, regardless of the software. The Skyfire browser does get around this by converting Flash to MP4 server side, so you might try that. The extra functions like Overclocking, Notification slide and other are all upsides to the ROM. You also get a faster ROM, and access to new apps in the market. I personally like the speed and memory management aspects of it.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

What happens if you guys manually install flash from the APK? Just curious.... Are any items not coming up in your Market. I know sometimes you have to clear cache from Market and data from Google Framework Services I think it is.

Also might be due to the build prop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information