Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Thread: Sayin' Hi

Sayin' Hi

New here. Found this when Googling stuff about CricKet, Android, flashing, yada yada.

I've been on CricKet for at least a year, maybe 2 - not sure. I have the Samsung Messager II (SCH-R560) which I got when it was first intro'd. Works OK, as far as it goes. Prior to CricKet, I'd been on Sprint but switched to CricKet when I moved and Sprint coverage was really poor. An acquaintance had CricKet it coverage was great (and cheaper). Been a mobile user since back in the AMPS days (the Motorola "bag phone").

Renewal time came up & all my friends have been showing me their cool new toys. Ordinarily I'm the first geek to try new stuff. So I'm way behind and my rep is suffering.

I've been toying with getting a used handset and figuring out flashing myself. Not sure that's the smartest way to go right now. There are local flashers and I phoned one and he might be good technically, but otherwise seemed like an idiot. His answer to everything was "come over and I can do it" but couldn't explain anything.

Looking at tutorials here, it looks like I gotta invest some time and some money on software to do the flashing.

Is all that worthwhile or should I just go for the $129 Huawei M865 and be done with it, then come here for hints & other goodies?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    LG Optimus C

Hi DesertDude, welcome to the forum.

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Welcome. The choice is one you'll have to make. Are you one who likes to tinker and figure stuff out? Then maybe flashing is the way to go. If not and you just want things to work, just buy a Cricket phone.

The reason the flashers won't say anything other than "come over and I can do it", is because it's their business. If they told everyone how to do it themselves, there'd be no business. If you want to learn to flash , Google is your friend and most stuff you need can be had for free.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDude View Post
    New here. Found this when Googling stuff about CricKet, Android, flashing, yada yada.

I've been on CricKet for at least a year, maybe 2 - not sure. I have the Samsung Messager II (SCH-R560) which I got when it was first intro'd. Works OK, as far as it goes. Prior to CricKet, I'd been on Sprint but switched to CricKet when I moved and Sprint coverage was really poor. An acquaintance had CricKet it coverage was great (and cheaper). Been a mobile user since back in the AMPS days (the Motorola "bag phone").

Renewal time came up & all my friends have been showing me their cool new toys. Ordinarily I'm the first geek to try new stuff. So I'm way behind and my rep is suffering.

I've been toying with getting a used handset and figuring out flashing myself. Not sure that's the smartest way to go right now. There are local flashers and I phoned one and he might be good technically, but otherwise seemed like an idiot. His answer to everything was "come over and I can do it" but couldn't explain anything.

Looking at tutorials here, it looks like I gotta invest some time and some money on software to do the flashing.

Is all that worthwhile or should I just go for the $129 Huawei M865 and be done with it, then come here for hints & other goodies?
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Yep, I tinker with too many gizmos. But I also depend on my cell so I don't wanna mess it up.

I didn't ask any of them how to do it, just about capabilities. None of them gave me much confidence in their abilities to do anything other than collect money. After exploring capabilities of various non-Cricket phones further, I find that their assertion that they can make any phone do anything to be incorrect. On this forum and other places, I find there are some things that certain sets just aren't built for.

My intent isn't to play games and stuff on my phone so perhaps the M865 is a good start for me with Android. It's certainly affordable and I haven't found much online to say it's a bad deal or quirky. I'll wait til this evening and see if there's something posted to advise to the contrary.

Welcome!

In my area, I can't use a flashed phone. Therefore, I'm only going to recommend a Cricket phone. If you can flash phones in your market, then I agree with Woof, flashing is probably the way to go.

If you're looking for an actual Cricket phone, I would personally recommend the Huawei Ascend 2. If for some reason you don't like it, then I would go with the LG Optimus C. The Huawei Glory might be coming in November. I would definitely recommend getting that phone when it comes.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Yep, I tinker with too many gizmos. But I also depend on my cell so I don't wanna mess it up.

I didn't ask any of them how to do it, just about capabilities. None of them gave me much confidence in their abilities to do anything other than collect money. After exploring capabilities of various non-Cricket phones further, I find that their assertion that they can make any phone do anything to be incorrect. On this forum and other places, I find there are some things that certain sets just aren't built for.

My intent isn't to play games and stuff on my phone so perhaps the M865 is a good start for me with Android. It's certainly affordable and I haven't found much online to say it's a bad deal or quirky. I'll wait til this evening and see if there's something posted to advise to the contrary.
    We posted at the same time.

The Huawei Ascend 2 is a great starter phone! I actually have the first Huawei Ascend. I like it, but I'd much rather have the Ascend 2 (of course!). There are some good video reviews of the Huawei Ascend 2 on this site. Just check the Huawei Ascend 2 forum.

-Avenue

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Dude based on what you said here, I'd gp to a Cricket store and play with live phones. See what suits you and go with that. I have a flashed phone and am always messing with it. New Roms etc and I am forever reflashing it. Gets to be a pain let me tell you.
    Something to be said for an actual Cricket phone.

Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Bag phone and Zack Morris phones were some pretty cool devices...

Anyways if you want to go with a top of the line premium device and your area supports it, check out the tutorials. If you want something easy and ready to go from the factory... Go with a Cricket phone.

Welcome to the forums!
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Dude based on what you said here, I'd gp to a Cricket store and play with live phones. See what suits you and go with that. . . .
    Cricket stores must be different here in the desert -- I've stopped at the closest store to me twice. First time they didn't actually have the phone. The last time, the one on display was a fake so I couldn't play with it. So I had to get in line and the woman who helped me pulled hers out of her bra and let me try it (the phone, that is). That didn't surprise me since they all looked like either hookers or rehab clients. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Didn't get much playing in. "We have customers waiting" while she snapped her gum. lol

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Bag phone and Zack Morris phones were some pretty cool devices...
    Ya, I kept the bag phone. It's here someplace.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

LOL that paints quite the mental picture. Clearly a dealer location. Best to try to find a corp store.

Cricket stores must be different here in the desert -- I've stopped at the closest store to me twice. First time they didn't actually have the phone. The last time, the one on display was a fake so I couldn't play with it. So I had to get in line and the woman who helped me pulled hers out of her bra and let me try it (the phone, that is). That didn't surprise me since they all looked like either hookers or rehab clients. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Didn't get much playing in. "We have customers waiting" while she snapped her gum. lol

No, that was a corporate store. I did stop at a dealer once when I didn't know they weren't all the same. There, the first person didn't speak English so had to get me someone else. He was new and didn't understand my question (I went to pay my bill and ask a question).

ANYWAY... I appreciate the warm welcomes and think I'll just get the Ascend II. Once I've played with it and Android I'll get adventuresome. By then there will be newer and cooler phones. Or I'll be confident enough to risk bricking my phone.

Thread Information