Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 30.0%

Customer Since
    Sept 2014

Question Selecting phone price camera important September 2014

Getting good pictures isn't just about MP. Interested in actual experiences with presently available phones.

I need to switch some lines over and some rebates look attractive.

The ZTE Sonata 4G with 5 MP and flash sounds good. Any experiences with it? How are the pictures. Want good pics of the grandkids!

The Nokia Lumia 630 has 5MP, but no flash. No flash is concerning. Should I be concerned. Good pictures?

Should I discount the Prelude because it only has 2 MP?

I guess the Moto G possibly should be considered, even though with 4 or 5 lines I am moving from Verixon, it really is getting out of my budget.

Thoughts?

I am really terrified of moving to all touch screen phones. I currently use an SCH1405 with slide keyboard on Verizon and wife uses an ancient LG flip phone.

I am certain I will miss my slider!

Thanks!

GGG

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 5.0%

Customer Since
    June 2011
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 1320

I have no experience with the Cricket GSM phones since I haven't switched from my CDMA service as of yet. ..but a few thoughts anyway.
    To me, since I have a good digital camera....the camera quality on the phone isn't really all that important. BUT I personally would not want anything less than 5MP....same as the first digital camera I ever owned. At 5MP you should get very good quality photos. The flash on my old ZTE Engage and current Galaxy S4 both are great when there's very little to no light. ....but in a normally lit room the flash will wash out the scene if your subject is too close. p1010793.jpgp1020338.jpg These 2 photos were taken with my old Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 which was only 5MP. I don't have the camera anymore since my sister threw her heavy purse on it which ruined the shutter and zoom controls.
    Don't be terrified of the switch from all touch screen. Once you experience it you'll never go back to buttons again. My first cell phone was a Nokia Tracfone. I've also had flip phones. ....and one slider with a "touch" screen (required a stylus) running Win Mobile 5. My first touch screen only was the LG Optimus C from Cricket. Leaving buttons behind kinda scared me but once I got used to the touch screen I never wanted another phone with a keypad. For me the touch screen is just easier...to see and read. Its also more responsive. The other thing to consider is the OS. You have Apple and iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. I've never owned an iPhone but I know a few people who do. ..and considering the troubles they have (phone losing contacts, etc)...no thanks. So far I've been an Android user other than the one phone with Win Mobile 5. Win Mobile was quite stable...phone rarely needed rebooting and didn't have to remain on its charger all day. From what I've been reading online Windows Phone behaves in much the same way. For me...in its various iterations across the 3 phones....Android tends to be a little unstable. The Optimus C being the worst of the bunch with its auto random reboots for no reason. The most stable is my Galaxy S4 which likes for me to reboot it each evening. Because of my experience with the Optimus C (an LG phone), I won't consider any phone from them. Before you make a final decision you might want to visit the Cricket store to play with the working demo units so you can decide which OS you like better. Keep in mind not all Cricket stores will have working demos on display so you might have to ask. Sorry for the rambling but I do hope some of what I said helps you.

Overall activity: 0%

You decide on which phone for your use

sent from an Xposed Sonata 4g

Customer Since
    Sept 2014

Reasonable pictures from a phone or important to me, I used to lug a semi pro camera everywhere. Now I like to limit it to a phone. And a lap top for when I am serious.

I decided on the ZTE Sonata. The camera is probably adequate, but kind of disappointing. I might try some tape over the LED flash to cut down glare. A trick I have used for over a decade on digital point and shoot cameras.

Wondering if there might be a better camera ap than is stock in the phone, but haven't investigated yet.

Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by ljmasdfgh View Post
    Reasonable pictures from a phone or important to me, I used to lug a semi pro camera everywhere. Now I like to limit it to a phone. And a lap top for when I am serious.

I decided on the ZTE Sonata. The camera is probably adequate, but kind of disappointing. I might try some tape over the LED flash to cut down glare. A trick I have used for over a decade on digital point and shoot cameras.

Wondering if there might be a better camera ap than is stock in the phone, but haven't investigated yet.
    You can try the aosp camera app. It seems to work better for me. It seems to focus a little faster and allows you to view your pictures without leaving the camera app

sent from an Xposed Sonata 4g

Customer Since
    Sept 2014

i[QUOTI never found an AOSP camera app, I have tried several cameras, and found none I really like, Part of the problem seems to be the flash is to bright for the sensor. I get a lot of washout. A camera that lets me set to a negative exposure helps, Some times turning off the flash helps. Tempted to try something over LED as a neutral density filter.

One of my digital point and shoot cameras, almost always has a white facial tissue across flash to soften it up.

Possibly the camera programs known for faster shutters will also be useful or the ones that paste together multiple shots to make the best shots.

I haven''t invested any dollars in the appps yet.

E][/QUOTE]

Thread Information