Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    feb 2014
    Phone
    samsung galaxy s4

Unhappy Samsung galaxy s4 and hotspot

ok so im so dang frustrated! Every other person that i know that has the same phone as me is able to utilize it as a wifi hotspot, but not ME since i have cricket! The option to do it isn't even on my dang phone! what should i do? is it just my phone or is everyone that has cricket's this way?
    HHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP

2. Remove this advertisement.

Customer Since
    09/2014

Did you buy phone from Cricket or BYOD? Cricket may hide that option on their devices. Regular BYOD devices should have wifi hotspot option. I have Cricket, with a BYOD S2, and hotspot works fine.

Could you install custom ROM? (You are responsible for bricking your device. Try it only if you know what you are doing and willing to assume all risks.)

Overall activity: 99.6%
    Customer Since
    oct 2011
    Phone
    flashed note 2

Cricket does not allow Hotspot or tethering.

Customer Since
    09/2014

Cricket's devices do not provide an option for tethering but you can use your BYOD on Cricket. They used to provide hotspot devices and sell data-only plans, so they disallowed tethering via phone in their terms of service. Before I became a Cricket customer, I had a chat session and asked them about hotspot via BYOD phone. They said "we don't sell hotspots anymore, but if your device does it, it's OK." I saved the chat. I have had Cricket eight months and use it to hotspot from time to time, with no problems.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Reiterating what those above have said, the old cricket CDMA owners allowed hotspots but the new cricket GSM owned by ATT does not allow it (in their contract terms). The CDMA shown in blue below still is on crickets website despite CDMA no longer working. Tammy, on your cricket branded phone you could try out an app like pdanet or similar. But beware of cricket finding out if you drain too much data (like massive 24hr drains, lol) because they might call you out for it. Hotspotting "time to time" may not be enough for ATT to worry about or notice. ....and Sealy64, a chat person doesnt have the authority to overrule the legal terms.

I think we have to go back several years and think about when max data limits were small like 5gigs or less and the industry was growing and any drain on data would slow down their older system. Thats when they were worried most about hotspotting. Nowadays, max gigs are 20 or more and their infrastructure is better. So even though they probably dont watch or care much about random hotspotting, they still want to control their data use and not let some IT department at a fortune 500 company hotspot all their company phones and masssivly slow down the system in that area.

My BYOD ATT S4 has a hotspot & VPN option under "more networks" but ive never used it.

Mobile Hotspot
    Please note: This service is only available to original Cricket (CDMA) customers.
    The new (GSM) Cricket does not offer Mobile Hotspot.

Mobile Hotspot (previously Cricket Tethering) lets you use your phone as a mobile hotspot to connect laptops, tablets, mp3 players, gaming systems, and other devices to the internet via Wi-Fi. Cricket currently allows up to five (5) devices to connect to your handset when using Mobile Hotspot. See
    Terms and Conditions of Service

for details.

Plans

Mobile Hotspot may be included in your rate plan, but can also be purchased as an Add-On to your current rate plan for $10/month. A Mobile Hotspot compatible phone is required.
    Any data used while using Mobile Hotspot (Cricket Tethering) is counted against the data allotment on your rate plan.
    Supported Devices

Cricket provides customer care support for devices sold by Cricket, with Android OS 2.2 or newer, having the "USB tethering" or "Portable Wi-Fi hotspot" settings enabled by the device manufacturer.

Terms:

You agree that you will not use Data Services in any manner which: hinders customer or user access to the wireless network; compromises network security, capacity, or capabilities; excessively and disproportionately contributes to network congestion; adversely impacts network service levels or legitimate data flows; degrades network performance; causes harm to the network or other customers; is resold either alone or as part of any other good or service; tethers a wireless device to a computing device (such as a computer, Smartphone, eBook or eReader, media player, laptop, or other devices with similar functions) through use of connection kits, applications, devices or accessories (using wired or wireless technology) and you have not subscribed to a specific data plan designed for this purpose; or requires a specific data plan for a particular use and you have not subscribed to that plan.

Overall activity: 99.6%
    Customer Since
    oct 2011
    Phone
    flashed note 2

My byod att s3 custom rom has tethering option, but i know not to use it because it is in the terms.

Customer Since
    09/2014

I have an AT&T-branded BYOD GSM Galaxy SII Skyrocket and use it as needed as a wifi hotspot. I'm not a big data user and hotspot maybe 2-3 times per month. The terms of service refer to a Mobile Hotspot add-on option, but I don't think Cricket even offers that option anymore (haven't in quite some time). That suggests that the terms of service are a holdover, not something added when AT&T acquired Cricket.
    Last edited by Sealy64; 06-02-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Thread Information