Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 2.0%

Customer Since

[Q] Google Nexus 5 - SIM Card Data Issue

Strange issue. I am a new Cricket customer. Back in January I bought 2 Google Nexus 5 unlocked phones directly from the Google Play store. I had been with Sprint since 2004. Way too long. Coverage at my house was terrible. Anyway, I brought 4 phones to Cricket.

I took advantage of the Moto G deal from last month and transferred 2 numbers over to those phones no issues. I then brought our two Nexus 5 phones over. This is where it gets weird.

My phone got a SIM and it works fine, LTE data connections and all is good. My wife's phone got a SIM and she can call and text but no data. If I swap SIMs between phones, her phone will work with data and mine will not get data.

This tells me two things.

1. The APN on both phones is correct.
    2. The issue is with the SIM and not the device.

I took the phone into a Cricket store and they reassigned a new SIM. Same problem. The SIM with my wife's number will not work in either phone (data access). My SIM continues to work (for data access).

Is there something that needs to be done to allow data on that SIM? The problem cannot be device specific if the problem follows the SIM.

As an additional test I am going to swap one of the other working SIMs into her phone and put her SIM into that phone. I suspect that any phone with the SIM assigned to her phone number will not get data.

The Cricket rep was stumped like I was. The rep he contact said it probably is the SIM slot on my wife's phone damaging the SIM; however, I can swap SIMs and her phone gets data.

Any ideas or help appreciated.
    Last edited by gyoung345; 09-18-2014 at 12:53 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Customer Since
    Okay, found the solution with the help of some guys at work (thanks Anand and Vipan!). Since we ruled out everything else it came down to the SIM card. Since they replaced the original SIM we then came to the conclusion that it wasn't the SIM card itself (what are the odds of getting two defective SIM cards), it had to be something with the number.

I was going to contact Cricket customer service when they suggested going to the Cricket website and just changing the plan to see if that fixes the problem. It DID!!!

Nothing was wrong with the SIM, but rather with the phone's data plan. Changing data plans fixed something. Just thought I would add this here in case someone runs into the same problem in the future.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Interesting. What was the old plan and the new plan?

Customer Since
    The old plan was the $50 SMART plan and I changed it to the $40 BASIC plan.

Thread Information