Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Overall activity: 4.0%

I want root as well for different reasons so I actually need a root

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Anyone here familiar with srsroot? According to their tweet and website, you can root with their app. I haven't tried yet because I don't know this program at all.

OK, tried srsroot. Website and twitter claimed it could root z987, but after 5 tries, it was still a failure.<br/>

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

google shows eroot or super-root for zte grand x max will work. ...or so they claim.

Tried both e root and super root, but found in details it was the V987 not Z987. Unless theirs been an update to the programs in the last month

Customer Since
    March2014

Has anyone tried kingroot? It took a few tries and only gave me a temporary root but I was able to change system to /rw and have also heard of a few people getting trwp for zmax to work as well.

Customer Since
    March2014

Some screenshots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot_2015-06-07-18-07-42.png   screenshot_2015-06-07-18-08-07.png  

Overall activity: 11.0%

Customer Since
    Jan 2007

Rooting Z987 info

To Root ZTE Grand X max Plus

You need Kingroot APK Ver 4.1.0.249
    the apk will be 6.42 mb

download zmax_twrp_286.apk
    the apk will be 11.48 mb

download

UPDATE-SuperSU-V2.46.zip file

get TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-V5.zip

file will be 1.71 mb

and Team Epic-RemoveRoot-from-Recovery-Signed.zip
    File will be 594.09kb

PUT THE ZIPS ON THE EXTERNAL SD CARD

I risked my phone to do this
    1. Install Kingroot and root your device if it restarts then go to apps clear data on king root and keep trying to root

2. on success of root. do not restart your phone it is temp rooted

3.install the zmax twrp apk
    4. flash the recovery it should say success.
    now click the reboot to recovery. now you will see team win

5. flash team epic root from recovery it will lock root in
    5. remove root from recovery unroots.
    yes team epics root files are for Samsung I know but it works for z987. you will be able to do nandroid backups

install the twrp apk from the play store to do a complete backup it saves your recovery partition data and cache and system partitions..

now figured out a perm root maybe you can figure out the bootloader unlock. and make the system writable.

as long as you get these exact files through google you wont brick your device and make a nandroid before you do anything to your phone. so hopefully you can figure out custom roms and kernals and other cool things

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chrismixindaly View Post
    To Root ZTE Grand X max Plus

You need Kingroot APK Ver 4.1.0.249
    the apk will be 6.42 mb

download zmax_twrp_286.apk
    the apk will be 11.48 mb

download

UPDATE-SuperSU-V2.46.zip file

get TeamEpic-Root-from-Recovery-V5.zip

file will be 1.71 mb

and Team Epic-RemoveRoot-from-Recovery-Signed.zip
    File will be 594.09kb

PUT THE ZIPS ON THE EXTERNAL SD CARD

I risked my phone to do this
    1. Install Kingroot and root your device if it restarts then go to apps clear data on king root and keep trying to root

2. on success of root. do not restart your phone it is temp rooted

3.install the zmax twrp apk
    4. flash the recovery it should say success.
    now click the reboot to recovery. now you will see team win

5. flash team epic root from recovery it will lock root in
    5. remove root from recovery unroots.
    yes team epics root files are for Samsung I know but it works for z987. you will be able to do nandroid backups

install the twrp manager apk from the play store to do a complete backup it saves your recovery partition data and cache and system partitions..

now figured out a perm root maybe you can figure out the bootloader unlock. and make the system writable.

as long as you get these exact files through google you wont brick your device and make a nandroid before you do anything to your phone. so hopefully you can figure out custom roms and kernals and other cool things
    you have to get twrp manager app to do a nandrois with the recovery partition included

Customer Since
    Jan 2007

And when you flash the su update zip it replaces King user. You will have to uninstall all King root apps and you will be fully rooted the root from recovery writes the su into the Xbin folder that is what keeps us perm rooted. King root roots but it is temp rooted because Su is not in the system Xbin folder but after you complete the process you will have gained root access and it keeps root access after your reboot plus the recovery stays. Zte may patch this vulnerability but they probably don't know about exploiting the recovery through temp root.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

The bootloader is still locked. So the system is not rw. Unless there is a way to figure that out. But from the nandroid maybe someone can build a Clockworkmod recovery and build lollipop roms or older roms. But this is a huge step and if you try it tell me your success story

Overall activity: 18.0%

Any way we can get a list and links on this thread to help others quicker? I would but I have no PC right now at my disposal.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Jan 2007

And your nandroid should be around 4 gbs or less plus if you open your recovery log through a text editor it will give you all the info of partitions on your phone. So that should help a developer write a new bootloader. Recovery and flash tools for the ZTE Z987. Good luck. It works well for me hopefully it will help you all out. So this is the official root method that works for me

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by KinlawSr Andrew View Post
    Any way we can get a list and links on this thread to help others quicker? I would but I have no PC right now at my disposal.

OK I will get links for the files and find out but I googled each file. I got the team epic root for recovery from a galaxy s3 rooting forum. Lucky I kept the files. Hold on I will search for all these files I have and put up links but I am new to this forum. So I don't know if it is OK to do that. I just posted the name of the files I have on my hard drive if you click and paste each file in google it will give you the zip files easily

Overall activity: 18.0%

Thank you for all the work. Chrismixindaly. I'm going to share your news and hopefully get some more people involved in this project..

Customer Since
    Jan 2007

You don't need a pc to do this. I rooted this phone just using this phone no pc. Download all the files. They have the version numbers on them I put the version numbers so you all have the correct files and correct sizes to verify you have the right files. Do not use any other version files they will bootloop your phone. I tried that so these files are specific for you to have a guaranteed root. If you use any other version you risk bricking your phone. I put all of the correct files with version numbers on here. If you follow the directions you will have a safe rooted phone make sure you have a full battery or plugged in while you are doing this as well

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

No problem I just did some testing for a while and tried every method and this is the safest I know of as long as you get the exact files with the version numbers you will be safe. And this site got me started on this project and I wasn't going to post anything until iI was successful. So I know it works for the Z987

Customer Since
    Jan 2007

Well I uploaded the files to my dropbox. Does anyone know any free file hosting sites that I can upload a link? To get these files if so let me know and I can upload all the proper files to make it easier for you to get these files?

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Try mediafire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information