Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

5 out of 5 members liked this post.

Full Flash HTC Evo to Cricket: 2.2 Froyo Talk, Text, MMS, Internet

UPDATE: We've made some additions for 2.3 Gingerbread. You DO NOT have to user a 2.2 Froyo ROM to get your Evo fully flashed. Remember that this tutorial was first written prior to the Gingerbread release.

First of all this tutorial utilized a great ROM by deathsled of XDA. If you found it helpful, please donate here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=9CABFDZR8L9NJ

This is a tutorial that should have been posted earlier. The Sprint HTC Evo 4g is one of the best phones to flash to Cricket. I say this because it's a good device in general and for some reason it seems to perform better than a lot of the phones that are flashed (speed wise when it comes to data).

At this moment there is no 4G with Cricket. They have already made moves to establish a partnership and have an LTE network. It has been rumored that Sprint is even trying to move away from the Clear 4g network (WiMAX). This means that you will have no 4g service when you flash this phone. I believe the radio gets it's authentication by MAC address so it might be possible to put this on a Clear account. One of my customers said he was able to do this with his Epic that I flashed. He was also a Clear reseller.

You'll notice that yes, this tutorial covers using the $45 or $55 Android plan.

Let it be known that sometimes Cricket says they have put you on the $55 Android plan, but they put you on the All in 55 Plan (5m5). There are now 55 dollar Mexico plans also. If you want easy Internet access, make sure you are on the Android plan.

We offer plan change for free to supporting members. Just use the links under site services. Premier Supporters of the forum receive additional benefits such as free ESN changes on your account. No more paying $15 everytime you change phones. To become a Premier/Supporting Member, just click the link at the top of any page.

We offer plan change for free for supporting members. Just use the contact us link at the very bottom of this page. Supporting members of the forum receive additional benefits such as free ESN changes on your account. No more paying $15 everytime you change phones. To become a "Supporting Member", just click the link towards the top of the tutorial that says "Become a Supporting Member" . Choose a membership level of your liking. Use the account services tab to make request changes. Cricket Users depends on the support of it's members to pay for server fees, advertising, etc. The more people we can bring to the forum, the more knowledge we'll have in one place. It's good for us all.

Anyways moving right along. We'll establish the items that you will need. This is usually similar across the board.

NOTE: At the very end we'll include some wireless tethering instructions.

A. QPST (http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing...ild-355-a.html)

B. HTC Diagnostic drivers for the Evo (attached on this thread [32 and 64 bit])

C A Windows PC with either Windows 7, XP or Vista plus your Evo with a USB cord.

D. PRL (http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing-tools-files-programming/5041-sticky-official-cricket-prl-thread.html)

E. CDMA workshop (google) OR http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing...-download.html) to get the MSL (aka SPC) if you don't know it already. Alternative would be MSL reader from the Market or attached below.

F. Anycut (attached below or on the Market), u2nl/autostart which are available at
    www.whiterabbit.org

, or (my favorite) GreenK45.

G. 2.2 Froyo: Latest version of Unrevoked to root the phone. (available at
    www.unrevoked.com

... currrently working with 3.32) 2.3 Gingerbread: Latest version of Revolutionary to root the phone. (available at
    Revolutionary

)

H. Optional and only recommended for those on Froyo 2.2: One of, if not THE best, ROM to use with Cricket. Jiminy Cricket is available for download here:
    [ROM][12.23.10] Jiminy V (for Cricket) - 100% EVO 3.70.651.1 - xda-developers

. Thanks deathsled. UPDATE: looks like the download links are broken there. Please use the one below.

In case one of those download links don't work for you try:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

I. Android SDK which includes ADB drivers. (
    Android SDK | Android Developers

)

ROOT and RECOVERY
    (only required if installing a new ROM/using the $45 plan)

Install HBOOT drivers onto your computer. This is the tutorial and download location from Unrevoked.

Windows HBOOT driver installation instructions
    • Download the
      unrEVOked modified USB driver

and expand it somewhere you will remember.
    • Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
      • On EVO 4G, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.

• Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
    • Open Device Manager.
      • Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.

• Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device, similar to the picture below.

• Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software. You should then be at the following screen:

• Click on Browse my computer for driver software.

• Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
    • You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
    • Your driver should install and your screen will look like below.

• Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

Thank you brucekey for the screen captures.

Boot your EVO normally and turn on USB debugging. This should be under settings > applications > development. It'll throw up a warning but proceed. Nothing to be concerned about.

Install the drivers like you would for any other device. Don't search. You want to specify the location you placed these drivers at. You're installing the drivers that came with the Android SDK.

2.2 Froyo
    Once the device is installed run Unrevoked. It'll detect the EVO and a pop up screen will come up. Continue and the device will be rooted, and a recovery will be installed (Clockworkmod Recovery specifically). Just let the program run it's course. If there are any errors, I suggest just running it once more.

2.3 Gingerbread
    Refer to this thread for rooting (http://www.cricketusers.com/sprint-h...vo-evo-3d.html). It's similar to the Evo 3d on the third post down.

ROM Install and SPC/MSL Obtaining

Place the newest version of Jiminy Cricket for EVO in the root of your SDCard. Note that this is a 2.2 Froyo ROM and that installation is optional. There are methods to get MMS if you're not using it.

Boot the EVO into recovery by pressing the down volume key, holding it, and then pushing the power key. Use the volume keys to go to recovery and then the power to select it.

You should load up Clockworkmod Recovery now (green lettering everywhere). Wipe user data and cache (yes, you'll lose whatever you have on the EVO now... if you need to backup your contacts, hopefully you put them on your Gmail, but if not just export them to your SD).

Then select install from SDCard. You will choose the location from your SDCard and continue. It'll load up the new ROM. Once complete back out to the menu that allows you to reboot.

Go ahead and reboot at this time. Give the system at least 8 minutes to load up. If there is a problem at this point, go back into Clockworkmod and try clearing user data and cache again.

Skip through all these screens on the EVO until you are at the home screen. Go into the phone dialer and hit ##3424#. You might have to hit talk after this. It'll cause the phone to go into DIAG mode. You'll see the device on your computer. Use the diagnostic drivers (specify their specific location) to complete the install.

Now you can find your MSL using CDMA Workshop OR MSL Reader which I've attached below. Install MSL reader, give it Superuser Permissions, and it'll kickback your MSL.

For CDMA Workshop, the port number has to be fairly low. I think we're talking about under 30. You'll see when you start it though. Look at your device manager to figure out the port that it's on. Select that port and then hit connect. Go over to the security tab and for SPC hit read. It'll give you your MSL/SPC. The best thing to do here is to use the SPC button then SEND command to send this number back to the phone and unlock it. Then type in 000000 or some number that's easy to remember. Hit the SPC button and WRITE. Now the MSL/SPC is 000000 or whatever you typed. This is all you need to do with CDMA Workshop.

Programming

This is the point where you will be using QPST. Use this tutorial to setup the EVO correctly. Note that the mobile IP behavior must be Simp or you will get errors on your Evo from time to time.

Ignore any NV read errors you get when writing to the phone.

( http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing-tools-files-programming/6450-qpst-tutorial-pictures-cricket.html )

Once you get done with this part, talk and text will work. If you are on the $55 Android the Internet should work.

$45 Plan

Using this plan is not condoned by the forum. There are methods which have been posted far and wide. Since the site attempts to combine all Cricket knowledge in one place, we have listed methods for informational purposes only. You are subject to Cricket's policies and any violation of them could result in account closure.

GreenK45: The easiest way to setup proxies is via Green45APK (http://www.cricketusers.com/android-...-few-taps.html). This was developed by a trusted member of the forum. Donate to him if you can. Busybox is required.

Old School Method: Before starting the next step make sure you have the u2nl file in your this folder c:\android\tools and also that you have you autostart.sh file in this folder c:\android\tools
    Now go to command prompt and type the following commands,

cd c:\android\tools <enter>
    adb shell <enter>
    mkdir /data/opt/ <enter>
    exit <enter>
    adb remount <enter>
    adb push c:\android\tools\u2nl /system/bin/u2nl <enter>
    adb push c:\android\tools\autostart.sh /data/opt/autostart.sh <enter>
    Now:
    adb shell <enter>
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/u2nl <enter>
    chmod 0755 /data/opt/autostart.sh <enter>
    exit <enter>
    adb reboot <enter>

Install Autostart from the Market or download it form the bottom of this post and install it. Reboot the phone (sometimes it will take more than 1 reboot) and give the Superuser Permission box a few seconds to pop up. Autostart will be looking for permission. Grant it.

Alternate method: Install Anycut and make a shortcut to the activity Proxy Settings. That will place a shortcut on your homescreen to these settings. If you put wap.mycricket.com and port 8080 the Internet should work. I've had less than stellar luck with this. Autostart and u2nl are preferred.

That is the end of the instructions for the $45 plan.

MMS

We're attaching the XML file that includes the APN settings in this thread. Open it up with notepad and you should see the following:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <apns count="1">
    <apn name="CDMA-MMS" numeric="46605" mcc="466" mnc="05" apn="mms" user="your10digit#here@mycricket.com" server="NA" p***word="cricket" proxy="wap.mycricket.com" port="8080" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.mycricket.com/mycricket/mms.php" type="mms" />
    </apns>

Just edit the "your10digit#here" part with your phone number and save this.

Place it on your phone's SDCard under a folder called "apnbackuprestore". Then open the Android App APN Backup and Restore (included in this thread and on the Market) on your Evo. Delete APNs and then restore the Cricket.xml you just modified.

You should have everything working now. Talk, text, MMS, and Internet. There are a few more steps left to enhance the experience. Below is my attempt to fix a step that I left out.

Youtube videos might not play unless you modify some settings. Sprint by default routes media through their servers. To change this dial ##data# from the dialer on the Evo. You will get to the EPST settings. Click edit and then enter the MSL. It will prompt you for a password which is the MSL aka SPC.

Once you get past that, go to advanced > RTSP Proxy Address (for stock Gingerbread it's advanced > RTSP/HTTP Setting > RTSP Proxy Address). Make this 0.0.0.0 (had to use 254.254.254.254 for Gingerbread). Also make the HTTP PD Proxy Address 0.0.0.0 (had to use 254.254.254.254 for Gingerbread). Back out and you should be good. If you hit commit modifications, you might get an error.

YOU HAVE COMPLETE THE FULL FLASHING TO CRICKET. ENJOY!

ROMs other than Jiminy (credit goes to timinator94from XDA)

The mms and telephony files are attached below in the Gingerbread fix zip.

1) Using root explorer, go to /system/app and rename mms.apk to mms.apk.bak, then put the included mms.apk into /system/app then open and install it.
    2) Using root explorer rename everything located in /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/ with .bak at the end, then put the telephony.db file provided in that directory.
    3) Reboot
    4) Profit
    *UPDATE*
    If the above method doesn't work try the following in conjunction with the above.
    1) Flash attached cricket_eris_web_mms_v10.zip
    2) Install autostart from market
    3) Reboot and select yes at the su prompt at startup.
    4) If you're on the 55 dollar Android plan, reboot a few times and then eventually go into Superuser permissions and deny autostart or uninstall it as you won't need it anymore.

For the stock 2.3.3 Gingerbread (prior to Unrevoked coming out with a fix) try:

GO SMS from the Market (remember to disable notifications of messages in the stock app)

Google Maps

You might have to go to the Market and download the newest version of Google Maps for it to work correctly.

Wireless Tethering

I've had the best luck with WiFi Tether. Just Google "WiFi Tether Google". If the latest beta version doesn't work, try a more stable, non experimental release.

OTHER ALTERNATE METHODS

If you can't get QPST to work try this for data:

On the phone type ##3282# or ##3282 call and hit edit mode and do these settings:

In Data Profile:

Active Profile:1
    UserName:yourtendigitnumber@mycricket.com
    Spi MN:HA: 12c
    spi mn:AAA:2
    Reverse Tunel:Enable
    home IP:0.0.0.0
    Primary Home:68.28.15.12
    Second Home:68.28.31.12
    HA Shared Secret:cricket
    AAA shared cricket:cricket
    DSA:Leave it as it is

Then go back and go to Advanced and do these settings:
    Slot Cycle Index:
    MCC:310
    MNC:00
    ACCOLC:2
    Vocoder:Enable
    Home Orig:Voice 13k
    Roam Orig:Voice 13k
    LBS PDE IP: Blank
    LBS PDE Port: BLANK
    Home Sys Reg:enable
    Foreign SID reg:enable
    DDTM:disable
    Home SID/NID#1:4139/65535 (leave it as it is whatever it is)
    Everything else not mentioned leave it as it is.

Then hit menu and Commit Modifications. Your phone will reboot.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 02-13-2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Zer0mist619

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Great thead my. seriously I bought my evo 4g last year already flashed and it was on the 45 dollar plan but kept getting errors and mms not working well. Then something happened and had to get it redone with another rom which didn't work like it used to, had an awesome interface though! (probably the ava-froyov10-2 or the z3)

but i digress, I'm interested in the 45 plan now since paying almost 60 bucks doesn't appeal to me anymore, and am curious if i can change the rom or is it preferred to keep jiminy?

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    HTC EVO Flashed

I got all the way till the point of getting the drivers to use QPST. When I dial 611 I do get crickets CC service. Where can i find drivers ADB HTC DIAG? other then that loving the jimminy Cricket............

I am Blind never mind haha LOVE IT CHRIS WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by twisteddreams; 04-26-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Cant read :)

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I list the link to the thread in XDA forums but also reuploaded it to MultiUpload just in case people couldn't get it. Did you try both?

http://www.multiupload.com/3S3MGAFUMF

Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

marcopolo85

i did part 2 on your guide but i still cant get talk and text the guy in the corp. store said i cant use my htc evo in chicago il cuz they said they use 1700-2100 mhz aws and the htc evo doesnt support that here but for some reason i have internet

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by marcopolo85 View Post
    i did part 2 on your guide but i still cant get talk and text the guy in the corp. store said i cant use my htc evo in chicago il cuz they said they use 1700-2100 mhz aws and the htc evo doesnt support that here but for some reason i have internet
    When it comes to problems there are usually more in getting internet to work than talk and text in tri band areas. For the most part it is suppose to work like that however, with the right PRL (and perhaps most EVDO PRLs) you should be able to get service.

Have you already placed the EVOs ESN on your account? Data will work with any data profile from an active account, however the ESN of the phone has to be on an active account for talk/text to work.

Phone
    HTC EVO Flashed

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    When it comes to problems there are usually more in getting internet to work than talk and text in tri band areas. For the most part it is suppose to work like that however, with the right PRL (and perhaps most EVDO PRLs) you should be able to get service.

Have you already placed the EVOs ESN on your account? Data will work with any data profile from an active account, however the ESN of the phone has to be on an active account for talk/text to work.

I just dialled the *228 or whatever it works but I am still having issues with MMS i am blank in Command Promt. What are the commands to convert to XML? And also Youtube still wont play after ##data# but might be signal i only havve 1 bar on 3G

i cant get data or mms to work also on cmd when i put mkdir /data/opt/ it says it failed because file exists also when i put *228 it tells me im sorry it cant or something like that i am also in the aws signal but now theres cdma but i dont get 3g on my phone for some reason

Phone
    HTC EVO Flashed

Quote Originally Posted by stevog View Post
    i cant get data or mms to work also on cmd when i put mkdir /data/opt/ it says it failed because file exists also when i put *228 it tells me im sorry it cant or something like that i am also in the aws signal but now theres cdma but i dont get 3g on my phone for some reason
    I get data and all its just need help in CMD i never used it haha. I get calls, Text, GPS. I just need to get the apn file converted to .XML so it will find it

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

If you're having trouble getting MMS going:

First, open/download the link (above in the original post) which says "CricketXML.zip" file. Download it to your computer. Open the zip file and select "edit" to edit it. The program "Notepad" should automatically open it up. If it doesn't open it in Notepad, then open it manually in Notepad. You should see the following>>

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <apns count="1">
    <apn name="CDMA-MMS" numeric="46605" mcc="466" mnc="05" apn="mms" user="your10digit#here@mycricket.com" server="NA" password="cricket" proxy="wap.mycricket.com" port="8080" mmsproxy="null" mmsport="null" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="
    http://mms.mycricket.com/mycricket/mms.php

" type="mms" />
    </apns>

Open the zipfile up (click on it) and you will see the Cricket.xml file inside. Right-click on it and select "Edit." Just edit the "your10digit#here" part with your phone number and save it. DO NOT select "Save As" or else it will try to save it as a text (txt) file which is not what you want. Only select, "Save" and close it out once it's saved. Also, DON'T change anything else in the file just that 10 digit number part.

Next, ensure your "connection type" (Settings>Connect to PC>Default Connection Type>Disk Drive) to the phone is "Disk Drive" (change it if needed) in order to connect the computer to the phone so that you can proceed to the next step with a file transfer.

Move the “Cricket XML file” you just saved and modified….to the "apnbackuprestore" folder (APN Backup & Restore is FREE through Google Marketplace - download it to your phone)....on your phone (with the USB cable connected to your computer if it isn’t already). Once the file has been transferred to the “apnbackuprestore” folder on your phone, DISCONNECT the USB cable from your computer.

This is important! Make sure the USB cable to your phone is DISCONNECTED for the following steps coming up.

Now, on your phone, open the app: APN Backup & Restore. Select, “Delete APNs.” Select, “Yes.” Then Select,
    “Restore APNs.” Then select the “Cricket.xml” file. Select “No” when the “check for duplicates” dialog comes up.
    Reboot the phone. MMS should work now. Test it once it boots up.

Last edited by erjrsatx; 04-27-2011 at 03:20 AM.

Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Where exactly are you located? You've put the ESN on your account already? Have working talk and text? PRL? I never *228 EVER. Probably would have a harder time if you're in a tri band AWS area. There you wouldn't really be in a "home" area for *228 to even work I believe. Without data there is no MMS.

If that directory (/data/opt/) already exists that's fine. Just move on to the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDude View Post
    Where exactly are you located? You've put the ESN on your account already? Have working talk and text? PRL? I never *228 EVER. Probably would have a harder time if you're in a tri band AWS area. There you wouldn't really be in a "home" area for *228 to even work I believe. Without data there is no MMS.

If that directory (/data/opt/) already exists that's fine. Just move on to the next step.
    i live in laredo texas i have prl 42900 i didnt put the esn i put the meid dec i have working talk and text but no mms or data

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

i live in laredo texas i have prl 42900 i didnt put the esn i put the meid dec i have working talk and text but no mms or data
    Try the "EV 32100" Cricket PRL file that I have attached. This is the one that worked for me.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erjrsatx; 04-27-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0mist619 View Post
    Great thead my. seriously I bought my evo 4g last year already flashed and it was on the 45 dollar plan but kept getting errors and mms not working well. Then something happened and had to get it redone with another rom which didn't work like it used to, had an awesome interface though! (probably the ava-froyov10-2 or the z3)

but i digress, I'm interested in the 45 plan now since paying almost 60 bucks doesn't appeal to me anymore, and am curious if i can change the rom or is it preferred to keep jiminy?
    The Jiminy Cricket ROM is now the standard and works flawless! You were probably experiencing issues during the infancy stage of using and testing new ROMS with the EVO on Cricket. A lot of issues have been fixed now with the Jiminy Cricket ROM.

Quote Originally Posted by erjrsatx View Post
    Try the "EV 32100" Cricket PRL file that I have attached. This is the one that worked for me.
    i tried that one but now i dont even get service at all

Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information