Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    HTC EVO

extremely slow upload speeds (download not too great either)

I'm having some major issues with uploads, over the last few days I've seen mostly single digit upload speeds (1-9kbps), sometimes it gets up to the teens. Pings are also a little higher, was getting under 100, now usually 100-400. Downloads are on average around 400, which isn't too bad, but I used to get 1100 pretty often before... well, long story:

I started having signal issues around last Thursday (5/12/2011), the fix (I believe) is when I re-bent the contacts for the antenna inside the phone (previous owner/store "fixed" the screen before selling it, and damaged the GPS and wifi contacts in the process, so I figured either them, or possibly me from all the times I went inside to fix the other issues, also bent the antenna contacts, intermittent signal issues went away afterwards, but now I have very crummy speeds) Tried 2 different speed tests, "speedtest.net" app, as well as the one in "Open Signal Maps".

The reason I'm posting here and not in the "Cricket Wireless Network Issues" is I believe the issue could be flash/configuration related, since, before I bent the pins back to fix the signal issue, I did... a lot of other stuff to troubleshoot the problem...
    Upgraded radio from 1.40_003 to 1.77_003 to 1.90_003, back to 1.77, then back to 1.90 (also, baseband version to 2.15.00.11.19)
    Uninstalled a bunch of apps that were recently loaded, just-in-case they were causing an issue
    Tried more PRL files than I can remember, including *228 to get the latest(45513) from OTA, and going back to my original one.
    Wiped/re-flashed Fresh ROM
    Went through the steps on flashing an HTC EVO to Cricket from more than 1 site multiple times (last steps I followed were the ones posted on this forum)
    Went back to my old kernel (netarchy-toastmod-4.3.4-cfs-nohavs-noUV-nosbc-universal-signed.zip)

Checked my usage, it's nowhere near 1 GB (May estimated usage: 0.237 GB)
    Went to the cricket store, was told something about leaves on trees coming in and this time of year being "weird"...... ok so obviously they aren't going to be much help...

oh and speeds are fine over wifi.

I live south of Denver.

My old uploads used to be pretty reliably in the 80's. Even half that would be fine, but when it's as low as it is now, internet related apps have issues functioning, and even web browsing is extremely slow. Seems to eat in to my battery a bit more as well.

Just did some driving around town to see if it was related to the tower near my house, but I get the same sort of results on different towers.

I'd take it back where I bought it for help if they didn't do such an awful job with both the original flash (getting PCS password error) and problems they caused with the hardware, I'm pretty sure I'd get it back in a worse state than it's in now.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or things I should check/test?

Thank you,
    Chris

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Hello. This looks like a tough one. I'm guessing that you're on the 55 Android plan?

Sometimes Cricket behaves strangely so it gets really hard to diagnose problems.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    HTC EVO

Yep, on the $55 plan, under 'myaccount' it shows as "ADR Smartphone All In $55".

One thing I've not tried, that I'd really like to, is bumping my PRI back down to 1.40_003, but all my searching turns up results on upgrading from 1.34 to 1.40, and all of those have been about doing a lot of resets and downloading it OTA, nothing to download and flash. I think I'd also need the baseband (for 1.40 it should be 2.05.00.06.10 I think) as a flash too. Any ideas along those lines?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Well how are your signal levels in general?

They were probably referring to this:

How do I determine foliage (absorption) loss?

Foliage loss must be considered in heavy foliage areas. The loss is affected by the size of the leaves, the density of the branches, the height of the trees, the season of the year and so forth. One thing can be certain when predicting the coverage in a heavy-foliage area: the antenna height at the cell site should be higher than the top of the trees. While PATHANAL does allow you to enter foliage loss, PATHANAL does not calculate a foliage loss value. Quite simply, no good model exists for making foliage loss predictions which may be unique for the vegetation and/or area involved. How should you go about deciding on an appropriate foliage loss value? We're not sure there is a definitive answer. What we will attempt to do is to present some alternatives.

Anyways have you noticed any poor behavior with other devices in the area? My phone is crawling right now, but I do think it's cause of usage.

February, 2011 2.822 GB
    March, 2011 2.410 GB
    April, 2011 2.711 GB
    May, 2011 2.408 GB
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    HTC EVO

Well, I guess about the trees, they did say that to me when I talked to them about my signal dropping out constantly and calls dropping (before I bent the antenna contacts and resolved that issue), but I just thought they had to be joking/misinformed, if they wanted me to believe I would have unusable service any time of the year but winter.

Signal is almost always great. At home I've usually got full bars, sometimes missing 1.
    Today there's a lot of rain going on (odd for Colorado) and it's staying mostly at full bars.
    Open Signal Map says the strength is "-73dBm, 20asu"

My wife's work phone seems alright, but she's not really using it to the extent that I use mine. Not sure if she's allowed to download a speed test app on it, it's also on a different network.

As for your usage, you're breaking 1GB, isn't that the cap before they throttle speeds?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

The signal level you mentioned sounds good. I wonder if asu it equal to jitter (
    Jitter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

). There might be interference in these frequencies.

Loss of signal passing through a medium depends on the size and density of the medium. Depends on if it interferes with that wavelength. I don't think rain is that much of a killer.

Yes I've gone over and my Internet sucks right now.

Phone
    HTC EVO

Mobile phone signal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

talks about asu, though it mentions GSM, it appears to be just another way to write the dBm (dBm = 2*ASU - 113) so I suppose could apply to CDMA too. If it doesn't though, then I'd guess the app that's showing that is just built for GSM and CDMA phones, and we should ignore asu then?

I'd agree rain doesn't kill cell signal much, just from my testing alone the last few days (speeds suck before, during, and after the rain, hah!)

As for usage, do you have access to wifi for any length of the day? Being a stay at home dad, I'm at home a lot, so use my home wifi for the phone (except when I've been testing my speeds lately). I've had days where I've used less than 1 MB of data over cell. My last 3 months of estimated usage on the Cricket site show: 0.291, 0.240, 0.445

Either way, I bet your cell upload speeds still beat mine right now

Could you indulge me and do a few speed tests while you're throttled? I'm curious how much of an impact that has

Another test, I just tethered my desktop to the phone, speeds are about the same, though the upload test usually times out.

Do you think switching me to the $45 plan then back to the $55 would have any impact? Might it reset some things to default within the Cricket system that could be messed up for my account?

edit: one more thing, my "time without signal" is 0%. BEFORE I bent the antenna contacts in place, it was a lot higher, at least in the 30's I think

Last edited by piercedgeek; 05-20-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Phone
    HTC EVO

Well, after a LOT more digging, I'm still unable to find a way to get myself back to PRI 1.40. If anyone knows of a method to return to it, please share

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Most of the throttled speeds are like 70kbos or less. I've decided to sacrifice outgoing MMS for higher download speeds.

Went back to the 45 plan last night.

http://geekfor.me/faq/how-to-get-bac...i-1-40-on-evo/

That doesn't work?

----- Sent on my Cricket Gingerbread Droid 2 on Cricket (tapatalk)

Phone
    HTC EVO

no, the hands free activation fails, I assume because I'm on Cricket and not Sprint? Tried a few times, hoping that even with the activation failing, it would still grab the PRI, but it did not. I think I need to be able to complete that step first.

When you say sacrifice outgoing MMS for higher download speeds, does that mean everything on the $45 plan works, but MMS? Tether, internet apps and all that?
    I never use MMS (or even SMS, except through google voice), so you've peaked my interest

I found this post:

I just went through the hassle to restore the 1.40 PRI to my EVO (which I then had to reprogram for Cricket via qpst).

There is no difference in download speeds for me, however that may be a restriction by Cricket on the lesser plans ($45/month unlimited plan). My internet is routed through the Cricket WAP using the popular token419 method. I've heard if I go upgrade to the new Android/Smartphone plan they have my internet speeds may pick up.

With the old PRI and the newer 1.40 my download speeds hover around just over 500kb/s. My uploads are insane according to the speed test (Xtremelabs Speedtest) at 2-3Mbit/s, however I expect that to be incorrect, lol
    PRI Version [Archive] - Page 2 - xda-developers

So, basically it is saying QPST is needed.

Phone
    HTC EVO

mental note, clicking "Reply to Thread" a second time will wipe everything you've just typed in the reply box, argh!

Yes, I've been looking at the QPST screen more than my phone screen for the last week

I think I've come up with a workable solution,

[ Radios ][ 5-6 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

has several PRI, NV, and radio versions. Not the 1.40 I've been trying to return to, but just about every single other one.
    I went through various combinations, taking notes as I went, most had major issues with signal, making calls, and/or data. The best I've found so far is
    PRI 1.77, NV 1.77, Radio 2.05.00.06.10
    Calls are good. Downloads are alright (average about 600) uploads have a lot of flux, range from the teens, to about 100, but average 30ish, MUCH better than the single digits and constant failed connections I was getting before.

I'm going to stick with this combo for a few days to make sure it's going to be consistent, then may try a few others to see if it can be improved on. Will post if I find better.
    And if anyone finds a way to get back to 1.40, please post!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by piercedgeek View Post
    no, the hands free activation fails, I assume because I'm on Cricket and not Sprint? Tried a few times, hoping that even with the activation failing, it would still grab the PRI, but it did not. I think I need to be able to complete that step first.

When you say sacrifice outgoing MMS for higher download speeds, does that mean everything on the $45 plan works, but MMS? Tether, internet apps and all that?
    I never use MMS (or even SMS, except through google voice), so you've peaked my interest
    First I should note that you can reply to multiple posts and quote them all in your reply. I'm Tapatalk now, but everyone should know about that functionality.

With the EVO and Jiminy ROM it should still get MMS with 45 plan. I think I've had the least problems with that device. I just can't figure out 45 dollar MMS on Gingerbread Droid 2.

My DL speeds are much faster since I'm not throttled with the 45.

----- Sent on my Cricket Gingerbread Droid 2 on Cricket (tapatalk)

Phone
    HTC EVO

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    My DL speeds are much faster since I'm not throttled with the 45.
    So $45 is faster than the $55, after you're over the 1 GB limit on 55, or is it always faster?

And one of the most important parts for me, would wifi tethering still work on the 45 plan?

Quote Originally Posted by piercedgeek View Post
    So $45 is faster than the $55, after you're over the 1 GB limit on 55, or is it always faster?

And one of the most important parts for me, would wifi tethering still work on the 45 plan?
    The $45 plan would only be faster because you're not throttled.

Please note that Cricket may take action if they find out you are using a plan other than the one you're supposed to. So, do it at your own risk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information