Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 1.0%

HTC EVO 4G Flashed to Cricket Sprint Hotspot How-to No Root Required

Hi, I am new to this forum, figured I would post this info, as it worked for me.

I have: HTC EVO 4G Android 2.3 OS (I think 2.3.3) NOT ROOT

I used the 49000.prl (loaded using QPST) found here in this forum to get my phone to work with 3G on Sprints tower that is 1 mile from me vs Cricket's 3G tower which is 10 miles from me.

I got MMS working by using the Cricket MMS URL, and used APN Manager Pro to edit the factory "Production" APN that is the only option in the stock messaging application that came with the phone, used wap.cricket.com port 8080.

Then I got greedy (er) and wanted the Sprint HotSpot to work as well, did not want to go through the trouble of rooting my phone, got this far without root, so figured I'd give it a go this morning. I haven't done phone hacking (phreaking) since the Motorola E815 days! Total noob to android hacking.

So this is how you get the Sprint HotSpot to work without root, and with a Windows XP computer (mine is SP3).

1. Download and Install "1-Click WiFi Tether No Root" FREE Version App.

2. Turn the App on after install

3. In your Windows XP Computer, if you simply try to connect to the EVO WiFi by clicking on it, you WILL NOT GET AN IP ADDRESS. At least I did not, and apparently any EVO 4G with some update that people tried to avoid this will happen. The Sprint HotSpot is running in AdHoc mode, will not give you an IP address.

4. After much experimenting I used my experience with building and managing WiFi networks (and TCP/IP in general) and gut feeling told me that this would work, just needed to assign an Alternate Configuration with standard 192.168ish IP settings. Did, and it worked.

5. So to get it to work, you have to do the following:

a. Go into Network Connections (in Windows XP)

b. look for your "Wireless Network Connection" - Right Click it

c. select Properties

d. In the General tab, scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Select it

e. Click "Properties"

f. Leave settings alone in General Tab so you don't cause yourself problems using other "normal" access points.

g. Click the "Alternate Configuration" tab

h. Click "User Configured"

i. Put the following settings -- IP address: 192.168.1.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, Default gateway: 192.168.1.1, Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1

j. Click Ok, Click Close

k. Now click on your Wireless Connections, go to View Availible Wireless Networks, Click on the one coming from your Phone's name, it will try to get an IP Address for about 30 seconds-1 minute, after that it will fallback to the "Alternate Configuration" and will use the info you put in.

l. Test it. Should now have internet access on your laptop via your phone and Sprint WiFi Hotspot program.

For faster connecting (not having to wait on the DHCP to timeout) you can unselect the Assign IP and DNS Automatically settings under your Wireless Connection properties before you went to Alternate Configuration and put those setting in there and try it, but I don't recommend that because if you use other Access Points it may cause you problems.

Anyway, may have missed something, give it a try if something isn't working post up. If it works for you, post up as well, let me know.

Hope this helps someone, I was surely glad to get it to work so when I am on the go and need my Laptop to have Internet Access, I can with my phone.
    Last edited by shimp; 02-10-2013 at 08:49 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Admire 2 64GB

Or you could just use FoxFi.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Quote Originally Posted by wthigon View Post
    Or you could just use FoxFi.
    I would have no problem paying a few bucks for a working wifi app, but thought I'd post this because I could not find anywhere on the net that anyone had got the Sprint Hotspot to work, was quite frustrating. BUT, in the end it works great AND Free, no need to buy the FoxFi app unless you just really want it or need WEP.

Thread Information