Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

No Cricket account yet but have questions about possibly flashed Evo

Alright, so I'm just kind of confused here. Yes, I've been searching for answers and although I've been learning more and more I still need some questions answered.
    First off I have an HTC Evo 4G and I used the method off a thread here http://www.cricketusers.com/sprint-h...nternet-3.html and I do not have a Cricket plan yet. I want to know that my phone is ready for Cricket service before I drive to a store only to find out it's not ready or something. Here's where I'm at, I've flashed the Jiminy rom, followed those instructions and what not and when I dial both 611 and *228 I get the Cricket welcome man. There's really no way for me to tell since I do not have an account yet but is this a thumbs up? I called a local store and the man said *228 messes the flash up which I kind of understand I think. I can see how it could mess programming up but how if I'm not even activated? He said I've got to flash again because I dialed *228, is this true? I really don't want to pay them $40 to flash it when I'm confident enough that I can myself. It also kind of seems I did this backwards. I have the phone but no Cricket account. This was a sudden decision for me. I just need to know if I'm good to go to get it activated or do I need to reflash? Thanks in advance! This is an awesome forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

It sounds like you are good to go. You obviously have a Cricket PRL on there, all you need from there is MDN and MIN, which require you to get an account. That will get talk / text working. Depending on the plan you choose when signing up, you may need to use proxy to get web / Market working. You may also need to edit APN's for MMS...

Don't OTASP (*228), program manually through EPST or QPST.

tl;dr; Take it down to a store and get an account. Be sure that you get the MIN while you're there.

Thank you! Yes, I've got 45713MyCricketForum.prl. So no need to re-flash? Does that whole *228 thing really just apply for people who already have Cricket? Thanks again!

Also, is there really no way to definitively tell until I get my new phone number and account? As far as the phone number boxes in QPST, I left them alone so basically its not fully programmed yet but the PRL seems good.

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

In short, don't OTASP a flashed device, program it manually. The only thing you need to do now is get MDN & MIN, then input those using EPST or QPST.

Over-The-Air Service Provisioning (OTASP) - The ability of carriers to add new types of services to a customer's handset by using the wireless network instead of requiring the customer to bring the phone to a carrier's location for reprogramming.

Alright, I shouldn't have done this backwards, lol. It's probably one of the reasons I'm getting myself confused but I understand too. Thanks!!

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

It's not "flashed" until you program the MDN and MIN with your account information. The PRL is on there, meaning it is communicating with Cricket already and just needs to be programmed.

GET AN ACCOUNT > GET MIN > PROGRAM DEVICE > DONE

Stop overthinking this and go get an account and program it.

You're so right! I know I'm making this more complicated than it is. Sounds good, I'm going to the Cricket store later today so then hopefully after I get the account and the necessary info I need I'll have my Evo running with Cricket. You've been very helpful to me and I appreciate it! I'll give an update after all is said and done.

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Evo is so easy, everything will work on stock if you program and change apn.

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Oh and for the O.P. here is what you can do..

1. GET THE PHONE ACTIVATED ON THE 55 ANDROID PLAN, MAKE SURE THEY PUT YOU ON THIS PLAN
    2. DIAL *228 AND MAKE SURE TO TEST IT BY CALLING THE NUMBER OF THE STORE YOU ARE IN, THIS WILL PROGRAM YOUR MDN AND MIN IF IT WORKS.
    3. GO HOME AND FINISH FLASHING.

This way you won't have to deal with trying to get the MIN from the store employee who may try to convince you to pay them to flash.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I don't want them to pressure me to have them flash it because like I said I'm confident enough in myself to do it. I just want to go in there, buy the plan, pay the activation fee and then be on my way and finish it myself. Thanks.

Okay, need some more help. I went and signed up with cricket today and I came home to program it. The web is working fine it seems. I uploaded a pic to Facebook and YouTube worked as well. My problem is that talk and text don't work. When I try and call out a lady comes on and says something about "if I'd like to make a collect call to a mobile phone or landline I need to use a payment card"... ? I've tried two different PRLs if that has anything to do with it.

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

That can be a problem with wrong esn on the account. I had that happen one time. They messed up one digit on the account and it did not work. Also, prl could be an issue, but I would check: ESN and correct MIN first.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

Try one of the hybrid PRL's posted here. If it works, you are most likely in a triband area and will be "roaming" throughout the majority of your billing cycle which will cause Cricket to can your account ASAP. If that's the case, you should get a Cricket branded phone...

Okay, I'll try that now. I looked at the coverage map and I am covered and I know other people whose Evos work. I'm in the Kansas City area if that helps you. I'll report back in a few. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information