Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Switching from MetroPCS to Cricket wireless q's?

Hi, new user here, hope I can get help with my questions. Not sure if this is the correct forum to post, if not mods feel free to move it and place it in the correct spot. I'am currently with MetroPCS using a Sprint Evo 4g with everything working(mms,sms,web,talk/txt,gps). Everything is great with metro except their slow 1x data speeds and honestly have waited too long for them to get at least rev.0 in my area but nothing. What I want to do is simple but at the same time a little tricky. Yes, you might of guessed it, I want to keep the Evo(I love my Evo, cant let it go so easily) and switch to Cricket. Simple right? Not likely. The trick is that I also want to keep my number from metropcs.

I spoke to a sales rep at cricket over the phone and told her what I wanted do and she said that in order to keep the number I would have to purchase a cricket phone and then flash my evo to cricket. Is this the only way to port my number and evo? Is there another way without having to purchase a cricket phone which I will prob never use? What steps should I take to do this whole thing?

I hope I made sense and can get help in the matter as I plan to do this in the next week or so. Great forum and thanks for any help!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    eliment

It would probably be easier to buy a Cricket phone, activate it, then port your number to it, THEN flash your EVO and activate your ESN.. Otherwise you will have to find a cricket store that will activate your EVO esn (Not EASY from what I understand) and port your number at the same time then you flash the EVO to cricket.. on the plus side of buying a cheapy Cricket phone is that you won't have any downtime without a cell phone if you cant afford to be without a phone

They have cheap phones on Cell Phone Plans | Cell Phones | Mobile Broadband | Cricket Wireless .. I believe they have the DOMINO for $10 (May not be available in your area but here is the link Kyocera Domino | Cricket Wireless)

OVERALL though IMO it would be easier to get setup on Cricket by having a Cricket phone first then migrating your flashed phone over...

Overall activity: 0%

This is new to me. I thought Cricket would activate a flashed phone without a problem as long as it is not in an AWS market. It doesn't make any sense to purchase a Cricket phone and then do an ESN change over to the flashed phone. Wouldn't that be a waste? I really thought Cricket could activate the flashed phone first.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Is riverside a Cricket market?
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

eliment

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    This is new to me. I thought Cricket would activate a flashed phone without a problem as long as it is not in an AWS market. It doesn't make any sense to purchase a Cricket phone and then do an ESN change over to the flashed phone. Wouldn't that be a waste? I really thought Cricket could activate the flashed phone first.
    I guess it is a waste but wouldn't he have to pay cricket to flash his phone?? Because he wouldn't have the MIN or the number porting done to flash it before hand or could they activate the esn even though its not flashed? then he could flash it later (i assuming he might flash it himself)...Arghh now Im confused..and I hope i didnt confuse nightzun

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post

They will activate it if the phone is already flashed to cricket no problem. Or flash it to activate it to cricket. The problem in my case is keeping my number. She explained to me,don't know if true or not but it does make sense, that if I flash the phone over to cricket first the phone will automatically get DEACTIVATED from metro which will not let me port the number over since the phone the number is activated on will no longer be active. In other words, any number the anyone wants to port, the phone has to be 'active'. How true is that? I don't know. Since this is the first time I've ever tried anything like this.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Is riverside a Cricket market?

Yea there is service here just no official stores corporate or dealers for that matter. So anything I need I would have to either call or go to the nearest store which is about 45 miles away.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

You can activate a new acct with a flashed phone. I do it all the the time.
    I create the account and start the port. Once the port is complete I then do the flash. Simple.
    Anyone telling you it cant be done is lazy, stupid or both.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nightzun View Post
    They will activate it if the phone is already flashed to cricket no problem. Or flash it to activate it to cricket. The problem in my case is keeping my number. She explained to me,don't know if true or not but it does make sense, that if I flash the phone over to cricket first the phone will automatically get DEACTIVATED from metro which will not let me port the number over since the phone the number is activated on will no longer be active. In other words, any number the anyone wants to port, the phone has to be 'active'. How true is that? I don't know. Since this is the first time I've ever tried anything like this.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Yea there is service here just no official stores corporate or dealers for that matter. So anything I need I would have to either call or go to the nearest store which is about 45 miles away.
    Flashing the phone from metro over to Cricket doesnt cancel your metro account (I have now figured out it's not lazy that the problem). How would it do that. The account isnt touched when you flash a phone. Find a smarter dealer.
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    You can activate a new acct with a flashed phone. I do it all the the time.
    I create the account and start the port. Once the port is complete I then do the flash. Simple.
    Anyone telling you it cant be done is lazy, stupid or both.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 PM ----------

Flashing the phone from metro over to Cricket doesnt cancel your metro account (I have now figured out it's not lazy that the problem). How would it do that. The account isnt touched when you flash a phone. Find a smarter dealer.
    See thats what I originally thought but when the sales rep told me that if I flashed the phone, the number associated with that phone automatically got 'deactivated' and I wouldnt be able to port the number. It does make sense that the phone wont longer be connecting to metropcs towers but the account including number will still be active.

So, if thats the case, what is the first step in doing all of this mess? Is it first flash phone(I will do myself), then call Cricket and open an account and tell them I want to use my flashed phone and then lastly port the number over? Any step by step would be very appreciated! Thanks for all your help guys!

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by nightzun View Post
    See thats what I originally thought but when the sales rep told me that if I flashed the phone, the number associated with that phone automatically got 'deactivated' and I wouldnt be able to port the number. It does make sense that the phone wont longer be connecting to metropcs towers but the account including number will still be active.

So, if thats the case, what is the first step in doing all of this mess? Is it first flash phone(I will do myself), then call Cricket and open an account and tell them I want to use my flashed phone and then lastly port the number over? Any step by step would be very appreciated! Thanks for all your help guys!
    You cant flash the phone until you have an mdn

1. Go to a Cricket store and set up a new acct. Use your meto phone esn. Find a store that understands you are going to flash it and just need the acct set up.
    2. Call 866.351.7678 and port your number from metro to cricket. You'll need the temp Cricket # the store gave you and your metro info of course.
    3. OPT 1. go back to the store and ask them to verify the port is done. (your metro phone will have quit working when it is finished but verifying is good) Also get the min after the port from them. Sometimes it changes.
    3. OPT 2. send me an email via the link in my sig and I can verify the port is done and give you the correct min.
    4. Flash your phone to Cricket.

Good luck.

Thread Information