Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 96.30%
  • No

1 3.70%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nerd
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

6 out of 7 members liked this post.

Lightbulb Android Flashing Checklist

BEFORE YOU START FLASHING these are the terms you need to know:

ESN/MEID DEC:
    electronic serial number. Each phone has a unique serial number that needs to be activated on the network for the phone to operate. ESN DEC is 11digits, and MEID is 18. Cricket only accepts ESN/MEID DEC (numeric). If you have MEID HEX (letters and numbers, you will need to convert it to DEC here:
    MEID Converter - Free MEID and ESN conversion tool

You can find the ESN/MEID number under the battery. If not, from the phone pull up menu-settings-about phone-status.
    Bad esn does not matter when flashing to Cricket because if the phone was never been activated on Cricket's network, it will have clean ESN for it.

MDN/MIN:
    both are crucial. One is the Mobile Directory Number, the other is Mobile Identification Number. If you make a mistake in one of them, the phone will not make or receive any calls. Make sure you double check those numbers.

PRL:
    Preferred roaming list. It is a file that makes the phone look for towers. Without PRL, the phone will not be able to communicate with Cricket towers.

SPC:
    Service programming code. This is the code that basically unlocks the inside of the phone for you, so you can make it compatible with a different network. Verizon SPC is 000000, Cricket's- 333333, Sprint's-each phone has its own, US Cellular- normally 000000, but can be like sprint's, Metro PCs can be calculated on
    linux, android, and cute bunnies - whiterabbit.org

Check List

This is a basic check list for those who want to flash their Android phones. Please go through this check list from start to end. This should eliminate most of the "Forgotten steps". Just copy paste and check mark steps.

1) Hardware:

Phone. Make sure it is not a T-Mobile or ATT phone.
    Cable. Bad cable can cause the phone not to connect.
    Check the charging port on the phone. If the charging port has broken prongs, the phone will still charge, but the computer will show "Device not recognized" message. You will need to maneuver with the cable to get it to connect properly.

2) Software:

Windows PC (XP, Vista and 7). 64 bit is fine. Make sure you have administrative privileges to install.
    Drivers for your phone. Please make sure you have the correct ones. HTC diag drivers have different drivers for 32bit and 64 bit systems. If you use XP, just use a 32bit version of the driver. Each Samsung phone has its own drivers. Motorola has a universal one. Check the tutorial you use for links.
    QPST and CDMA workshop. CDMA workshop is optional for HTC phones. It is required for Motorola/Some Samsung Devices.
    Any other software listed in the flashing guide for a specific phone.

3) Account:

If you have a number with Cricket:
    a) Call 1-800-Cricket (*611) and request MIN number.
    b) Become a forum member and submit the ESN change request. It is only $12.99/ year, and you can get 2 FREE esn changes per months. So 24 of them a year. They also provide you with the MIN number upon request.
    If you do not want to be a forum member, call Cricket, and pay $15 per esn change.

If you do not have number:
    a) If you are flashing HTC/Samsung phone, just do the basic flash first (just reset the spc security code and load a prl). Then get the number and finish the flashing process.
    b) If you have a motorola phone, no worries. You will not get a 3g symbol if you do not have a number with cricket yet. It will only appear after you activate the phone.
    c) If you are in a triband market, you will not be able to get a new number with Cricket on the flashed phone. Therefore, buy a cheap cricket phone and request ESN change later.
    d) Check the plan. $55 plan, if you do not want to root your phone, or $45 if you want to root. Honestly, $55 is better because it allows you to get software updates. Also, on most HTC and Motorola phones, master reset won't be a problem with that plan.

4) Flashing process.

Make sure your phone is on the home screen, not the Android Activation screen.
    Complete all the steps in the guide you are using for a particular flash.

Basic required things that need to be done:
    Get the SPC code on Sprint phones through CDMA workshop, or rooting method. Change it to 000000 (for convenience). Verizon SPC is 00000.
    Set up MIN and MDN. Double check those.
    Load PRL
    Load NV items if necessary (Motorola and Samsung phones)
    Configure PPP and MIP settings. Username: yournumber@mycricket.com, password: cricket. NO capital letters in the password field.
    Triple check each and every setting according to the guide you are using.
    Triband customers and some nationwide roaming customers: if your phone is not activated in the system, it will give you "Account not validated" message when dialing out. Do not worry.
    Check if you get signal bars after the flashing. If not, your PRL is not working.
    If you have a number with Cricket, and performed all these steps, 3g will be up.
    Set up picture messaging and youtube.

Reading a specific phone flashing guide before starting is very important. It might seem like too much information at first, but it will eliminate any frustrations.

Last edited by Dina; 12-04-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

2. Remove this advertisement.

That's a great post!

Thank you!

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Nicely done Dina.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Thanks Dina. Now I need some time to consolidate all this good info. Come the new year I'll have more time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

EDIT:

Since there are still issues with people trying to flash phones where Cricket does not have a home market, I made this video.

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 08-14-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 3.0%

phenomenal post!

Reall good post cleared some things for me

Overall activity: 2.0%

Very nice!
    Makes a lot of sense to me now!!
    -- wish I had this list & advice available before proceeding to stumble & thrash-about like a pig-in-a-waller... during my first flash!

Thank You Dina!
    djr~

Phone
    ZTE Score *root

This is a must read for all Noobs. Thanx for the clean and clear instruction Dina.

Thanks Alot for making the info clear & precise!

Overall activity: 2.0%

nv items

Nv items... Where do find these? If it makes any difference, I'm preparing to flash a thunderbolt from Verizon.

Sorry, I've rooted, but never flashed. No $ to pay right now, so I must attempt on my own. I plan to use my buddy's cricket #, but he uses the $35 plan, I was going to switch up after flash... Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by hammerdroid; 03-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Quote Originally Posted by hammerdroid View Post
    Nv items... Where do find these? If it makes any difference, I'm preparing to flash a thunderbolt from Verizon.

Sorry, I've rooted, but never flashed. No $ to pay right now, so I must attempt on my own. I plan to use my buddy's cricket #, but he uses the $35 plan, I was going to switch up after flash... Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Again, please follow the Thunderbolt tutorials on here. It has step by step instructions and links to the files. Also you could just use the Cricket 3G Nv item generator i made. Can find that in the Flashing tools thread. If you'd like ill flash it for you just send me a pm.

Sorry for the inconvenience everybody.
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Overall activity: 3.0%

nice post, I have a question, If I flash a phone to cricket and decide to go back to sprint, Will it still work on sprint?

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

If it had a clean ESN for sprint, then the answer is YES! Otherwise NO! When flashing to cricket, save the factory spc code. And when working in QPST, save the stock settings before setting cricket settings =] Hope this help

curious%?

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    That's a great post!

Thank you!
    I'm interested in saving money on my phone n tv as mentioned in your post. Tell me some good news. The users of this forum do a lot of good for a lot of people and i'd like to save some money any way I can. Koolan luke bada bing...

So I am in 21921 and 21001 zip and it says we should be able to use lashed fones yet my 3g on my sprint evo 3D never works, well sometimes ill get like 4 kbs and then it shuts off on me :/ lemme know what im doing wrong

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information