Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Discussing the misconception of a flashed phone. Please read if you are new.

I'm going to start this post with a minimum amount of information and hopefully people contribute.

Let's talk about what flashing a phone is not. It's not just unlocking the phone. It's not like Jailbreaking an Iphone. GSM phones have many great qualities about them and one is that when you unlock them, you can just put in a SIM card and presto change-o it works (if it is capable of the appropriate GSM bands).

Flashing a phone to Cricket does not mean that you can just give it to your buddy, or sell it to someone on Craigslist/Ebay and they just activate it like a normal Cricket phone. *228 on these phones (if they have a non hybrid, plain Jane Cricket PRL) might program the newest PRL and talk / text.

Please do not buy a phone that someone is selling as flashed and think you'll just activate it at a Cricket store or online in a few minutes. If a person is selling a "flashed phone" and knows how to program it to your number, then that's much better. Other than that you'll probably find yourself reading up on our forum about how to flash it yourself.

You WILL need an active Cricket account in good standing to flash a phone over to your account. After you are done programming all of your account's info in the phone, you will need to change the ESN on your account (aka activate) the phone for talk and text to work. Data should already work at this point if you have a data capable phone/plan and have setup everything.

Let's start rewording this and making it more friendly to everyone. I just wanted to start it. I'll hold the tail and you can do whatever to this goat you want!
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

Thank you for clearing this up.

Also, check the coverage map. If you see slanted lines going through your area that means you're in an AWS (Tri-Band) area. If you are in one of those areas, do not buy a flashed phone. There are people on Craigslist saying they can flash phones on Cricket, but they probably don't realize you can't do that in an AWS area. In these ares, you will need to purchase a Cricket phone.

*Technically, you can flash a phone in an AWS market, but it will be roaming on Sprint's network all of the time. I don't recommend doing that. Just buy a Cricket phone.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Avenue doesn't work for Cricket but honestly should lol.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I looked at the coverage map and I don't have slanted lines however, unlimited talk/text aren't offered in the Tampa area. Does this mean I can't use a flashed phone?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_99 View Post
    I looked at the coverage map and I don't have slanted lines however, unlimited talk/text aren't offered in the Tampa area. Does this mean I can't use a flashed phone?

There is a good chance if you can only get the Paygo accounts, that you can't use a flashed phone in your area. I think the best thing for people to do are post threads like "Does anyone in Florida use a flashed phone?". Of course there is a way, but I wouldn't suggest doing any donor phones because of the nature of that offense.

where would i need to look to set up programming the iphone? i have a prl on there got them to add the esn. but it wont activate.. i said it was a motorola razr v3

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Flabbergasted View Post
    where would i need to look to set up programming the iphone? i have a prl on there got them to add the esn. but it wont activate.. i said it was a motorola razr v3
    in the iPhone section of the forum, imagine that iPhone question answered in the iPhone threads, amazing.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    *Technically, you can flash a phone in an AWS market, but it will be roaming on Sprint's network all of the time. I don't recommend doing that. Just buy a Cricket phone.
    what if it's a phone that uses aws spectrum for example a meto pcs phone.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    Sprint Galaxy S3

Since this is a thread about "Misconception" the way I understand this is.... I take all the info from my Cricket phone and change the info on my Verizon Gnex to match that of the Cricket info and then have Cricket change the ESN on my account and boom bam presto !! it ill work ? would love to hear feed back as I am about to attempt to flash my Gnex to Cricket. Thanks in advance

Nerd
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Clarifications:
    1) *228-ing Sprint HTC devices and Verizon motorola phones (non-LTE of course) will NOT hurt your flash. You can*228 those as many times as you won't to get the local prl. If you *228 Samsung devices and verizon HTCs, profiles will revert back. So if you have an HTC incredible, do NOT dial *228 of any kind.
    2) *228. *22804, 05 and whatever else will all work in non-triband, regular cricket markets. If you are in a triband market, forget about *228 forever (and *611). Ain't gonna wurk! You will get a prompt "Your account could not be validated, please contact customer service". All this will be said by the annoying deep voiced man from Sprint. If you need to reach cricket in an AWS market, just call 1-800-Cricket. Need a new prl, use CDMA, QPST, or DFS.
    3) I get this question a lot..."Will my phones work with a $25 paygo plan if I flashed it?". The answer is big fat "NO!". Cricket only allows paygo phones on those plans. Do not attempt flashing.

4) Can factory reset erase the flash. Good question!
    a) Sprint HTC, Samsung and Verizon Motorola devices do not erase base flash if you just factory reset it from the phone. Flash WILL erase if you use ##RTN# reset on Sprint phones, and SBF your motorola phone. BASE flash means: talk, text, data. MMS and youtube will need to be set up all over again after any kind of factory reset. BE CAREFUL!
    b) Do not factory reset Verizon HTC phones. Flash WILL revert, even the basic one like talk and text.

5) Changing the number! Ufff, this one needs a special attention:
    a) If you change a number on a motorola Verizon phones (non LTE), then just dial *228 to program it. If you are in an AWS market, use ##7764726+send to program new min and mdn.
    b) HTC Verizon, HTC and Samsung Sprint phones will need to be reflashed to reflect the new number. No *228 will help here.
    c) If you buy a flashed phone on ebay, and it is an HTC or Samsung, make sure your seller programs your number into the phone prior to shipping. By programming, I do not mean the esn change. Just the flashing part, where they need to connect to qpst, and set up EVDO profiles.
    6) If your phone's screen is blue, or your device gets hot, do not blame it on flashing. Flashing is a mere NAM programming, and that does not hurt your device in any way. If you put roms and try other tweaks, then blame the "ROM", not the "FLASH".
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Thread Information