Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 8.0%

HELP a Newbie! Does Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 need to be flashed to work on Cricket?

Hi there- I just switched from Verizon to Cricket. I thought my Verizon phone wouldn't work on Cricket at first becuase when I first put the Cricket SIM in, it didnt make or receive calls. But then all of the sudden today it did! Texts came in and so did calls! I was able to download the Cricket visual voicemail, etc. My internet is working because I have only been on WI-FI.

Will my phone actually work without flashing it, or must I flash it? And if I do flash it, is it true that I can only get 3G data? Am I better off just buying the cheapo free Cricket phone that is offered right now? I just love my phone, and hate to stop using it if there is a way... Thanks for helping me out!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by AnneMarie Hamant View Post
    Hi there- I just switched from Verizon to Cricket. I thought my Verizon phone wouldn't work on Cricket at first becuase when I first put the Cricket SIM in, it didnt make or receive calls. But then all of the sudden today it did! Texts came in and so did calls! I was able to download the Cricket visual voicemail, etc. My internet is working because I have only been on WI-FI.

Will my phone actually work without flashing it, or must I flash it? And if I do flash it, is it true that I can only get 3G data? Am I better off just buying the cheapo free Cricket phone that is offered right now? I just love my phone, and hate to stop using it if there is a way... Thanks for helping me out!
    You are connecting to Cricket's new network (AT&T). I've done some research into which GSM motherboards will fit into the Cricket S4s. Verizon and Sprint will fit. But, because they don't have all of the radio bands turned on, they will not get 4g LTE. I do believe that they can get vanilla 4g, though.
    And yes, Verizon and Sprint are on CDMA networks, but their Galaxy phones have GSM abilities, though somewhat limited.

I didn't answer your question. Because it's GSM, you don't flash. The phone just needs to be unlocked, which yours obviously is.

So does that mean I need to flash my phone for it to work properly? Or can I leave it as without flashing? Am I better off ordering a free phone from Cricket, or even switching to Page PLus since they run on Verizon? Sorry for all the questions, I just didn't realize how complicated this would be for a non-techie.

Quote Originally Posted by rsdin559 View Post
    You are connecting to Cricket's new network (AT&T). I've done some research into which GSM motherboards will fit into the Cricket S4s. Verizon and Sprint will fit. But, because they don't have all of the radio bands turned on, they will not get 4g LTE. I do believe that they can get vanilla 4g, though.
    And yes, Verizon and Sprint are on CDMA networks, but their Galaxy phones have GSM abilities, though somewhat limited.

I didn't answer your question. Because it's GSM, you don't flash. The phone just needs to be unlocked, which yours obviously is.

It really isn't complicated. Your phone doesn't need flashing or anything else. You're good as is. Swapping the Verizon SIM card to a Cricket one is basically what a CDMA flash is. I don't think any of the other pre-paid providers will give you even the vanilla 4g. So unless you want to spend some money on a new Cricket phone just to get LTE, you're as good as you can get.

Hmm- so why do people "flash" their phones? I turned off my wi-fi to see fi the data would work, and it said no internet connection. What do I do about that?

Quote Originally Posted by AnneMarie Hamant View Post
    Hmm- so why do people "flash" their phones? I turned off my wi-fi to see fi the data would work, and it said no internet connection. What do I do about that?
    Flashing is for CDMA phones (old Cricket, Page Plus, ...). Verizon is CDMA as well, but their Galaxy phones have GSM radio abilities as well (new Cricket, AT&T, T-Mobile, ... are GSM). I don't know why your data isn't working. Anyone else used a Verizon S3 on the new Cricket?

Customer Since
    FEB 2013
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4

They need to set up apns for data.

Ok just got off phone with Cricket customer service and we set up the APN, but my data is only receiving "E" not 4G. She said there may not be "Room" on the 4G server? Not sure what to do because the internet is SO slow. Anyone have any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by cjreyes666 View Post
    They need to set up apns for data.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

What does your apn setup look like? And the "no server room" is bs.

name- internet
    apn- ndo
    proxy, port, username, password, server- not set
    MMSC-
    http://mmsc.aiowireless.net

Mutilmedia message proxy- proxy.aiowireless.net
    multimedia message port- 80
    MCC- 310
    MNC- 150
    aunthetication type- not set
    APN type- default,mms,fota,hipri,sutl
    APN protocol- IPv4
    APN roaming protocol- IPv4
    mobile virtual netrowk operator- none

SHe also said I could select "GSM" or "Global" for network mode.

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

the verizon galaxy s3 varient does not get hspa. . sorry E is for edge, 2g
    LTE 750
    CDMA 850 / 1900
    GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    GSM supported only with update after launch

Galaxy S3 Android Phone in Pebble Blue from Verizon - 4G & S Beam | Samsung

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3804

Last edited by indica; 08-23-2014 at 04:43 PM.

Thread Information