Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Customer Since
    Sept 2012

iPhone 5 carrier "Searching..." when GSM SIM card in a CDMA phone

I bought an iPhone 5 on Cricket (USA CDMA local carrier).

I activated the phone with Cricket in the US already and I brought it to the UK. That's when it didn't work and kept saying "Searching..." when I put in the Vodafone UK SIM card. The SIM is not faulty as it works in an officially unlocked iPhone here.

I have tried a restore and wiped the phone. Went through setup and activation process and the phone is still saying "Searching...". Toggling airplane mode on/off etc. didn't work. Also tried to search for the carrier manually - when I try to set the Automatic off it'll search for a bit but then it says "Unable to load network list".

The phone is not locked as when I go into Settings > General > About, under carrier it says Vodafone UK 13.0. So it's reading the SIM.

When I take the SIM out, and restart the phone the carrier in Settings > General > About, says Cricket.

Is there a solution to get my phone completely wiped and working on my GSM SIM?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

I saw your post at MacRumors and I also had the same issue in Poland recently. I just tried something with my AT&T SIM that was interesting and am curious if you have tried it too.

1) Go to Settings>General>Cellular and set Cellular Data to off.

When I did this the iPhone 5 went to searching service/no service for a minute and then restarted. At this point it came back wanting to be activated but wouldn't accept the AT&T SIM. Since you are not in a Cricket territory and have a UK SIM I'm curious what it would do at that stage.

Thread Information