Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Supporting Member

Verizons towers?

Hey guys I live in an area where verizon works great but sprint is kinda terrible. Is there any way to set my roaming list to verizon on my phone? Didn't know if there were any kind of PRL files for that. Kind of a cricket/ verizon hybrid or something

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

You would need to add money to your Flex Bucket account for roaming on Verizon. I'm not sure on the cost. I think it might be 25 cents per minute and text messaging is unlimited. Were you looking to pay for it, or just get it for free instead of Sprint?

Supporting Member

Free instead of sprint basically. I mean I wouldn't mind if it were free off of flex and on a normal plan. I could have swore I used to have it set up that way but I can't seem to figure it out anymore. I know metro can roam on them if you have a prl for it, so any way to do it for free on cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    Free instead of sprint basically. I mean I wouldn't mind if it were free off of flex and on a normal plan. I could have swore I used to have it set up that way but I can't seem to figure it out anymore. I know metro can roam on them if you have a prl for it, so any way to do it for free on cricket?
    I wouldn't recommend doing it for free. Cricket has a decent roaming agreement with Sprint, which is why we can get unlimited roaming on their network, but not Verizon.

You can add the $5/month 30 minute roaming plan to your account. That will give you 30 minutes per month and unlimited text messaging on Verizon. If you want to go for that, you'd need to figure out how to modify the PRL. I'm not sure how to do that.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Verizon is so expensive in my opinion cause their network is so good.

You can't roam for free because their system will not authenticate your device as an authorized one. Text messaging will still work.

This is my understanding of how things work.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

What Chris said above.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Verizon is so expensive in my opinion cause their network is so good.

You can't roam for free because their system will not authenticate your device as an authorized one. Text messaging will still work.

This is my understanding of how things work.
    I mostly just want data and texting to work. Any PRL you guys recommend for it? i'm in perkasie, PA

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I mostly just want data and texting to work. Any PRL you guys recommend for it? i'm in perkasie, PA
    If you're still talking about Verizon, I think you'd be the first person to get this working if you did. Unless you have a Verizon data profile to put in there, I'm pretty sure there's no chance at all in getting just data and texting. If I could have Verizon data and texting, I'd give up voice entirely to be on their network. Their coverage maps are insane compared to Sprint. MVNOs of Verizon give like 20 mb of data a month (Page Plus is an example I think). It's so expensive.

I'm 99.9% positive you will not get this to work the way you want it to.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I'm not sure how to get the PRL to default to Verizon instead of Sprint, and from other posts in this thread it looks like you can't, but I was able to roam on Verizon Wireless for both data and text messaging. I knew text messaging was supposed to work, but I was surprised when data did too. I really don't think I was on Sprint, because the roaming indicator was on, and the last time I heard there isn't in-market Sprint roaming.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    If you're still talking about Verizon, I think you'd be the first person to get this working if you did. Unless you have a Verizon data profile to put in there, I'm pretty sure there's no chance at all in getting just data and texting. If I could have Verizon data and texting, I'd give up voice entirely to be on their network. Their coverage maps are insane compared to Sprint. MVNOs of Verizon give like 20 mb of data a month (Page Plus is an example I think). It's so expensive.

I'm 99.9% positive you will not get this to work the way you want it to.
    Page Plus Cellular is now offering unlimited talk, text, and 500 MB of web for $55/month. If you use WiFi most of the time, you should be fine with the 500 MB.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

would setting mcc=310 & mnc=012 help the cause?

Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I'm not sure how to get the PRL to default to Verizon instead of Sprint, and from other posts in this thread it looks like you can't, but I was able to roam on Verizon Wireless for both data and text messaging. I knew text messaging was supposed to work, but I was surprised when data did too. I really don't think I was on Sprint, because the roaming indicator was on, and the last time I heard there isn't in-market Sprint roaming.

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Page Plus Cellular is now offering unlimited talk, text, and 500 MB of web for $55/month. If you use WiFi most of the time, you should be fine with the 500 MB.
    page plus does interest me but i got my plan down to 35 a month on cricket and it's kinda hard to beat that

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    would setting mcc=310 & mnc=012 help the cause?
    care to further elaborate? Not sure I understand bud

page plus does interest me but i got my plan down to 35 a month on cricket and it's kinda hard to beat that
    I would recommend keeping your current plan unless Page Plus starts offering some crazy deal.

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

my apologies TR, i think mcc/mnc is used for GSM phones and PRL's are used for CDMA phones. I was thinking somehow setting a verizon mcc/mnc with QPST would help the cause.

Take it from someone who worked in VZW's tech support department for 4 years... It ain't gonna work.

Basically, there's a whole bunch of stuff that goes on in the roaming carrier's network. When the other carrier's network picks up the phone, it checks to make sure the two companies have a roaming agreement and polls the home carrier's' network to verify the account connected to the phone is valid.

CDMA phones handle data just like voice calls. It's just that the phone dials a specific short code in the background instead of the user actually dialing a phone number. If Verizon does not have a roaming agreement with Cricket in that specific market, their network is not going to authenticate the phone.

It's possible you were roaming off of a privately owned tower when data was working while you were roaming. Some towers are owned by private individuals or other corporations that are not carriers, and carriers rent space. It's a lot more complicated than you might think.
    Last edited by Hesster; 12-13-2011 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
    Take it from someone who worked in VZW's tech support department for 4 years... It ain't gonna work.

Basically, there's a whole bunch of stuff that goes on in the roaming carrier's network. When the other carrier's network picks up the phone, it checks to make sure the two companies have a roaming agreement and polls the home carrier's' network to verify the account connected to the phone is valid.

CDMA phones handle data just like voice calls. It's just that the phone dials a specific short code in the background instead of the user actually dialing a phone number. If Verizon does not have a roaming agreement with Cricket in that specific market, their network is not going to authenticate the phone.

It's possible you were roaming off of a privately owned tower when data was working while you were roaming. Some towers are owned by private individuals or other corporations that are not carriers, and carriers rent space. It's a lot more complicated than you might think.
    I believe Cricket has nationwide roaming agreements with Verizon, so it should work everywhere. Is there a way to modify the PRL so that it will roam on Verizon if Cricket isn't available instead of defaulting to Sprint? I think the way it works is Cricket is priority (of course), then Sprint, and if Sprint isn't available, then Verizon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information