Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Do you think Cricket will ever get an OFFICIAL update for the Huawei Ascend?

Do you think Cricket will ever get an official update to either Android 2.2 or Android 2.3 for the Huawei Ascend?

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Negative. 2.2 would be a long shot, considering they have the Optimus C, and a few other new phones coming soon. 2.3 I can't ever see an official solely based on the hardware limitations, too much would have to be left behind to make it worthwhile. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I can tell you that 2.2 is the sweet spot for the Ascend. Ran CM6 for a while before upgrading phones, and it ran VERY well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsanders77 View Post
    Negative. 2.2 would be a long shot, considering they have the Optimus C, and a few other new phones coming soon. 2.3 I can't ever see an official solely based on the hardware limitations, too much would have to be left behind to make it worthwhile. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I can tell you that 2.2 is the sweet spot for the Ascend. Ran CM6 for a while before upgrading phones, and it ran VERY well.
    I'm actually running CM7 now, and it works pretty good.

I don't think we'll see an official update. I think Huawei is the one that releases the update, because Cricket keeps saying on their Facebook that it's up to Huawei and that they haven't heard anything about an update. Someone on Facebook said that MetroPCS paid for the update and Cricket didn't. I hope Huawei isn't charging for updates. I think that's a stupid idea. If they support their product by giving out updates, people will want to buy more Huawei products in the future.

I understand they might want people to buy the Huawei Ascend 2 instead, but I still think it's better to support your current products so people will want to stick with Huawei and will want to recommend them to others.

Overall activity: 34.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

If you only knew the amount of work Issac and Pip put in on getting CM7 to run properly, your jaw would drop. He almost gave up on it at one point. I just think that it would be too much for a company like Huawei to invest in. They are out to make money on the No Contract market, and have yet to release the source coding for the 2.2 version that went on the Metro TapOut Ascend, even though they are required to by Open Source Guidelines. When we mounted an email and forum campaign to pressure them to do so, they shut down their email and forums. I just can;t see them doing anything without money involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsanders77 View Post
    If you only knew the amount of work Issac and Pip put in on getting CM7 to run properly, your jaw would drop. He almost gave up on it at one point. I just think that it would be too much for a company like Huawei to invest in. They are out to make money on the No Contract market, and have yet to release the source coding for the 2.2 version that went on the Metro TapOut Ascend, even though they are required to by Open Source Guidelines. When we mounted an email and forum campaign to pressure them to do so, they shut down their email and forums. I just can;t see them doing anything without money involved.
    So, do you think they charged MetroPCS for the Android 2.2 update then?

We have received information regarding the Huawei Ascend getting an update to a newer version of Android. We weren't planning on posting it just yet, but it looks like Cricket Wireless leaked it out on their Facebook. So, we'll release what we've heard now.

From what we heard, the Huawei Ascend on Cricket Wireless should be receiving an Android update. We think that is going to be Android 2.2, but we're not certain. We also don't know when the update is going to be release. If we receive that information, we will post it.

Here is a screenshot from when Cricket posted about it on their Facebook:

Thanks to Darkencypher for the screenshot!

In my opinion i don't think that Cricket will come up with an official update for the Huawei Ascend.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

Kinda think about it. Why sell the first Ascend when they now have the Huawei Ascend 2, right? Its like selling the DS and the DSI. At least, that's whats i think. lol

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I think we're almost beating a dead horse. It's probably over for the Ascend. People who think the Ascend 2 isn't a big upgrade... Well think it like this. What real good 2.2 or 2.3 do for the first Ascend? There are a few perks, but nothing like when the Galaxy phones or Evo had the 2.1 update.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 3.0%
    Phone
    original Ascend

I wish it'd get an update, but I doubt it Didn't metro have a lot of problems when they updated theirs? Seems like less of a chance if so

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

either way, I cannot wait for Cricket to update ANYTHING with the ascend. I mean, my gf's Zio got an update before mine?! What's up wit dat?

Thread Information