Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 10.0%

should I keep the M860

a cousin of mine gifted me a m860. It's okay from what the specs say. Not a phone I would want to use for any length of time but given that I don't have to scratch for a mid to high range phone with good camera etc., I thought I might give the ascend a tryout.

How hard is it to flash this thing up to CM7. I read the documents and while they have a lot of information, they don't tell me what I need to know as a beginner.

I guess I'm really wondering is, is it worth upgrade this phone the effort to upgrade this phone and get comfortable with cricket or should I look for an off network phone that closer matches my needs and hack it over to cricket compatibility

The features I value in order of priority

Cost
    phone audio quality
    is the phone a "gator", i.e. loudmouth, small ears
    screen quality
    camera quality
    front and back cameras
    battery life

Now obviously the ascend falls short but ugly to live with it because it's cheap (i.e. no cost to me except for the monthly). starting with the ascend will let me get some feeling for android devices and take my time finding the ideal one (currently the Google phone just because of its fantastic camera setup)

Thoughts, suggestions?
    --- eric

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

get the mercury my 2 cents

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

The ascend is a decent beginner phone....... As long as you don't expect much.
    There are cm7 roms that do help speed it up, but sadly I will have to admit you will probably just throw the phone against a wall within a week because its performance will just annoy you.
    My suggestion would be to get the merc

Ascend has no front camera, no flash, decent sound
    Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

The Ascend was my first smartphone.

I loved it. It is a great learning phone.

After rooting, and putting a custom rom on it, it can be pretty decent. Mine would OC to 672, but my wife's OC'ed to 729, and has been running like that for months.

You can find guides to adjust the build.prop settings to tweak more out of it, and using a script (superchargerv6 for example) can make it run even smoother. Add an a2sd program (I used DTA2SD) will squeeze more internal memory out of it, and allow you to put a ton of apps on it.

Rooting was pretty easy, I was a total noob when I got mine, but by reading, re-reading, and following directions, I learned a lot.

The Ascend is like a tank, nothing seems to stop it. I thought I killed it a few times, but was always able to recover it. Now for free, you can't ask for more, especially if you're saving up for another phone.

So in my humble opinion, I think you should try the Ascend for a while. It, to me, is an underrated phone. The worst part of Ascend, for me, was the 2.5 mm headphone jack, but you can use bluetooth headphones if you can't find a good wired set. Hey, at very least, you can start to learn more about the Android system, and modding in general. IF, by some way, you do kill it, no great loss.

Phone
    Ascend, Rom CM7.2

It's a good phone to play with to get familiar with modding and flashing roms. So that when you do have the cash for a better phone with a little research you already know how to make a backup, navigate CWM recovery, and basic rom flashing procedures

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Overall activity: 99.4%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Agreed!
    Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

to all of you who replied, thank you so very much. I'm going to try and resuscitate this phone and upgrade to CM7. then I'll start searching for a refurbished phone with a much better camera.

Now to process questions. If I read the form correctly, I start here: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...-installs.html

which in turn leads me to
    CM7-Ascend - Prepaid Android

Which gives me the first question, what is clockwork mod? I found an image for it but if I'm supposed to use it to clear the flash, how do I install it into the ascend.

One of the things the instructions are missing is here's a list of software you need, this is where you install it. I get that I have some bundles of zip files and image files to download but what I do with them? That's not so clear

Thanks for any help
    --- eric

Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johansson View Post
    to all of you who replied, thank you so very much. I'm going to try and resuscitate this phone and upgrade to CM7. then I'll start searching for a refurbished phone with a much better camera.

Now to process questions. If I read the form correctly, I start here: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...-installs.html

which in turn leads me to
    CM7-Ascend - Prepaid Android

Which gives me the first question, what is clockwork mod? I found an image for it but if I'm supposed to use it to clear the flash, how do I install it into the ascend.

One of the things the instructions are missing is here's a list of software you need, this is where you install it. I get that I have some bundles of zip files and image files to download but what I do with them? That's not so clear

Thanks for any help
    --- eric
    Here's a good link with instructions.
    [Guide] Installing ClockworkMod Recovery 3.0.0.5

This is a good method, and the one I used.

Phone
    Ascend, Rom CM7.2

Google "ascend ultimate customization guide" is covers just about everything for your phone

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Cricket Droid; 08-12-2012 at 10:41 PM.

well, it boots into the . now what?? what do I need to do to get service

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

boots into the . ? what is (.)? is that cwm? were you already rooted?

you should use this:

ultimate ascend customization guide. - Android Forums

personally, i ran cm7, cm9 and Icarus1.1.....all things aside Icarus was the best, imho. no bugs very light snd speeds up the phone from 528Mhz to 600Mhz. i found that, while the cm7 and cm9 did speed up the processor to 710Mhz(up to 748Mhz!!!), i still got better numbers, with Icarus, through speetest.net and Antutu Benchmark....by quite a bit. i think i got better numbers with Icarus1.1 because it uses much less memory space than the other two, providing the phone a bit more breathing room. plus, it is common knowledge among hardware builders that if you overclock ANY processor too much, it WILL start flaking on you, meaning it will crash more often, run hotter and possibly burn itself out! it is kind of like tuning a car in the sense that:when you advance your engine's ignition timing you WILL get more power-to a point-but the more you advance, the earlier the ignition fires in the power stroke-creating detonation(pinging) and the hotter the engine runs by default! end result with too much timing---the engine dies and won't start, or in more violent terms, can GRENADE on you! as will the phone's processor. think of the phone's processor as the car's engine!

James

p.s.- after you do what you like to the phone, have a look at this page:

Handy Ascend Download Links - Android Forums

it's a sort-of "gift bag" if-you-will, of various Ascend stuff. some good, some not so good.
    on my Ascend, i have Icarus, Titanium BackupPro, ClockWorkModRecovery3.0.2.8(seems some of the others were a bit flakey-5.x.x.x all have issues with AP2SD), SuperuserElite, ROMManagerPro from ClockWorkMod, SetCPU(i didn't change any speed settings when SetCPU installed pre-set on 600Mhz max and i think it's at 245Mhz minimum....i also have it set at "on-demand" for battery performance), AP2SDGUI, lastly-AntutuBenchmark and Speedtest apps(for speed checking)-Antutu will check your phone's total speed, while Speedtest will check your 3G and WiFi speed. however, one thing to note:if you want to check 3G, make sure your WiFi is disabled before you begin the test otherwise it will check WiFi automatically!

Other funnies i added were ALL the AngryBirds....love 'em(kills downtime in the medical field) and FruitNinja(gotta give credit to my 12 year old for showing me this wonderful game!) although, i will say, as far as games are concerned-Icarus will play the much more fluidly than CM7 or 9-yet, when you do FINALLY switch over to Mercury(even in stock trim with NO root or tweaks) it will make the Ascend feel like a Commodore64 compared to tricked out custom SoHo CPU build!!!
    Lastly, become members not only on CricketUsers.com , but also AndroidForums.com and UnleashedPrepaids.com (where PlayfulGod is one of the founders)
    Keep the Ascend1, it is a near bulletproof tank with LOTS of support and a GREAT backup phone when you make the plunge into Mercury waters!!!
    Just my 2sense!

James

Last edited by sportwin; 08-13-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: forgot about this one too

Quote Originally Posted by sportwin View Post
    boots into the . ? what is (.)? is that cwm? were you already rooted?

Keep the Ascend1, it is a near bulletproof tank with LOTS of support and a GREAT backup phone when you make the plunge into Mercury waters!!!
    Just my 2sense!

James
    I'm sorry. Speech recognition error when I was too tired to catch it.

Right now, I'm really happy with CM seven. It's already starting to be useful. I discovered that the data service works fine on the previous owners account even after the phone was reset to factory defaults >>>gack<<< I'm really glad the owner knows me. :-)

So once I have the basic Google applications etc. installed what do I need to do now to sign the phone up for service? Do I need to somehow reconfigure some equivalent to a Mac address? The reason I asked was I called cricket and asked them how I take over the stock phone and they said I needed to go to the store and have them flash something.

I'm also wondering about the minute limits? For example I need more voice time been data time and I typically below through 1200 minutes a month because my cell is my only phone. one thing that would help would be the ability to route calls through WiFi. Any chance of that?

Customer Since
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

wow! i know i saw that somewhere....lemme check. give me a couple hours...

Overall activity: 65.0%
    Phone
    PAE3D, ICS Merc

Cricket should only need the imeid in order to setup the account.
    Is this a cricket phone? If it is then after the imeid, just *228 and your phone should program. If not, then you need to flash.

Cricket is unlimited minutes so you shouldn't have issues there, but if you want VOIP, I actually suggest Google voice, it's free and easy to setup
    Cognac Entertainment
    Last edited by Rites; 08-13-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rites View Post
    Cricket should only need the imeid in order to setup the account.
    Is this a cricket phone? If it is then after the imeid, just *228 and your phone should program. If not, then you need to flash.

Cricket is unlimited minutes so you shouldn't have issues there, but if you want VOIP, I actually suggest Google voice, it's free and easy to setup
    Cognac Entertainment
    yes, it is a cricket phone.the mobile plans look like all I need

Cell Phone Plans | Wireless Plans | Data Plans | Cricket Wireless

the $35 month plan has 1000 minutes. even the 45 and $55 plans have thousand minute limits but they include all this music crap. strangely when I look through the rest the site, it talks about having unlimited long-distance but they don't say anything about the minute limits elsewhere.

what's the cheapest plan I can get away with and still have some form of data service that's livable? What's the right magic words I need to say to the customer service rep?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information