Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Tired of your slow Huawei Ascend?

The information in this thread is for the first Huawei Ascend, NOT the Huawei Ascend 2.

If your Huawei Ascend is slow, and you're tired of it, look into CyanogenMod 7. This will put Android 2.3 on your phone and will make it run a lot better. We have some information on this here: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...ei-ascend.html

It seems that some aren't making the connection that if you put Android 2.3 on your phone it will run better. So, I'm creating this thread for those who don't really care what version of Android their phone is running, but want their phone to run better!

This will put Android 2.3 on your phone, but the most important part is your phone will run better than new. It won't take five minutes to load your text messages and it won't freeze every few minutes.

Of course, there may be problems, but chances are they won't be major, since most of the bugs have been fixed by now.

This is done AT YOUR OWN RISK. You WILL lose EVERYTHING you currently have, including applications, text messages, and contacts, unless synced with Google. You will lose EVERYTHING. This is starting new.

You may need to use your trackball at sometime during this tutorial. If the touchscreen doesn't work, then use the trackball.

1) Download this file, and transfer to your MicroSD card. You can plug your phone into your computer to transfer the file. Make sure it's not in a folder or anything.
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...te.php&title=f

- Cricket Users Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediafire.com%2F%3F26iv fof8t4fja5n&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13229599169474

Then, on your phone look for an application called File Manager. From there, select the application, z4root, and install it.

After that, select that application from your application list and select "Permanent Root".

2) Download this file, and transfer to your MicroSD card. You can plug your phone into your computer to transfer the file. Make sure it's not in a folder or anything.
    http://playfuldroidz.com/media/Ascen...011-signed.zip

3) Download this file, and transfer to your MicroSD card using the instructions mentioned above.
    http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip

4) Download ROM Manager. Go to the Android Market and search for "ROM Manager". Download that application.

5) Open ROM Manager. Choose "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery". Make sure you choose to do it for Ascend.

6) After that, open ROM Manager and choose "Backup Current ROM".

7) Then, after the backup is completed, go back to ROM Manager and choose "Install ROM from SD Card". If it gives you the option to do a factory reset, do that. Also choose to clear dalvik cache. Then, choose the CM7 file. After that installs, the phone will reboot.

8) After it installs, go back to ROM Manager, and choose "Install ROM from SD Card". Choose the gapps file. After that installs, your phone should reboot.

Then you should be good to go! Enjoy your Huawei Ascend the way it should have been from the manufacturer.

Last edited by avenue; 12-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Thanks a lot. When i re-install my apps that i had on before, i should not be getting charged for them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by reader23 View Post
    Thanks a lot. When i re-install my apps that i had on before, i should not be getting charged for them, right?
    Google should know that you've already paid and should allow you to download them again.

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Google should know that you've already paid and should allow you to download them again.
    Thanks, avenue. If I wanted to upgrade, what which phone would you recommend? My Ascend might be on its last legs, but I'll see what happens after i try to upgrade it with CyanogenMod.

Thanks, avenue. If I wanted to upgrade, what which phone would you recommend? My Ascend might be on its last legs, but I'll see what happens after i try to upgrade it with CyanogenMod.
    I would go with the Huawei Ascend 2 when it's on sale for $79.99 if you're looking for something less than $100. If you don't care about the price, look into the Huawei Glory.

Do they both have the ability to play flash videos?

Do they both have the ability to play flash videos?
    No, the only phone with Adobe Flash right now is the Samsung Indulge, and the Huawei Glory is coming soon, and that should support Adobe Flash. If you're going to choose between the Indulge and the Glory, I would definitely go with the Huawei Glory.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

I put CM7 on my phone several months ago, and while it does run better most of the time, I still deal with some locking up. The phone also reboots on its own from time to time. They are minor annoyances, but I wanted to caution anyone that the CM7 mod is not infallible. I wouldn't go back to the stock ROM though.

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonrw View Post
    I put CM7 on my phone several months ago, and while it does run better most of the time, I still deal with some locking up. The phone also reboots on its own from time to time. They are minor annoyances, but I wanted to caution anyone that the CM7 mod is not infallible. I wouldn't go back to the stock ROM though.
    Yeah, it's definitely better than stock.

I've been having some problems recently but I think it's because of applications on my phone. Maybe I have too much junk on there. I might just put a fresh ROM on instead of backing up all of my stuff.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

I considered doing a reflash too, but I've decided to just wait for a new phone. Still waiting on that Mercury you know...thankfully, that new job I've been waiting for...CAME THROUGH! I may actually have the money for it! WOOHOO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonrw View Post
    I considered doing a reflash too, but I've decided to just wait for a new phone. Still waiting on that Mercury you know...thankfully, that new job I've been waiting for...CAME THROUGH! I may actually have the money for it! WOOHOO!!!!
    Well, I hope you get it, and I hope you like it! I can't wait to see some good reviews on the phone when it comes out. It looks like a great device.

Been running CM 7.2 for about a week now and while it is faster ... it's still very laggy at times.

I was so happy with this phone at first, most likely because it was my first real Smartphone of any type. Also the ability to tether with PdaNet saved my rear end a few times. However I'm so sick of this phone now. I just don't know what to get. It seems that cricKet really has nothing all that good ... some better phones yes ... but nothing really good. I'm starting to believe the "Glory" ain't happening.

Seriously thinking of going with the Samsung Exhibit II 4G and using T-Mobile's no contract month to month service.

I'd stick with cricKet if they got a decent phone like the one I just mentioned or the Glory etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FulciLives View Post
    Been running CM 7.2 for about a week now and while it is faster ... it's still very laggy at times.

I was so happy with this phone at first, most likely because it was my first real Smartphone of any type. Also the ability to tether with PdaNet saved my rear end a few times. However I'm so sick of this phone now. I just don't know what to get. It seems that cricKet really has nothing all that good ... some better phones yes ... but nothing really good. I'm starting to believe the "Glory" ain't happening.

Seriously thinking of going with the Samsung Exhibit II 4G and using T-Mobile's no contract month to month service.

I'd stick with cricKet if they got a decent phone like the one I just mentioned or the Glory etc.
    Take a look at the Huawei Mercury forum. It's really coming to Cricket and is going to be a big improvement over the Huawei Ascend.

Yeah I saw that AFTER making the post here. I figured once it wasn't out for BLACK FRIDAY that it just wasn't happening. After all we were supposed to get that Huawei IDEOS X5 or whatever it was and that never happened. Anyway good to hear the Glory or Mercury or whatever they want to call it is coming so I probably will wait but at the same time the allure of the Samsung Exhibit II 4G is getting harder and harder to pass up.

i am trying to follow the steps but i cant find ROM manager on android market.. i looked it up and it says its cuz i have firmware 2.1
    Last edited by rudyg93; 12-14-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information