Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Question Looking for 3G Android Phones

I recently did a stint in the hospital near death and unfortunately lost my phone of 1 month during my time there.

I lived though, so all in all it was a winning experience.

To the point at hand, I was using a (CricKet model) Samsung Galaxy Indulge and liked it for the most part, although there were a couple features I wouldn't necessarily put on a sales pitch.

The 4 Hour battery life
    the inability of the device to prioritize its applications. It had a 1ghz processor but I think the ram was holding it back

I'm not necessarily looking to blow a lot of money, but I want to get what I pay for - and a laptop with full functionality is about 500 bucks so... yeah. Lol.

My wishlist for a device would be:
    Tablet-like. 7 inch screens are pretty cool, but I'm not picky. A smaller screen is fine as long as I can type on it. QWERTY keyboards are fine, etc. I'm not too picky when it comes to form factors. (anti-iFanboy)

Anyways, thanks for any help!

I have been checking out this:
    HTC Legend

ut it doesnt seem like it would work on the Cricket 3g as it is a Quad band and I believe cricket's network is Triband. (I'm still a bit fuzzy on all of this but I'm trying to do my homework.)

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Recognized Developer
    Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

Personally, I would pick up a DROIDX or EVO 4G and flash it to cricket. Best bang for your buck. They can be found on ebay / CL for under $200...

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Welcome to the forum....

I would recommend the Droid X or Evo as well along with the Droid, and Droid 2. Evo Shift isn't bad either....
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

I third these recommendations.

I hope you won't be offended by the fact that I found the first line your post a bit humorous. When you said "in the hospital near death " it made me think of death as a place. Struck me funny. I have a wierd sense of humor though. Glad you're ok.

Sent from MIUI4DX
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone Whore(;
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

First android phone I had and used was the shift. I loved it, there was a keyboard, it was touch screen, I had my music on it, no glitches, it was great. Then I moved on to my Samsung Fascinate. I REALLY like this phone. It was great, perfect screen, worked wonderfully, except pictures wouldn't send but I don't send picture mail unless it's to my Facebook. Oh, I also had the Indulge, I didn't like it one bit. Next I had the Droid X. Durable, sturdy phone. It was great. Now I have the HTC EVO 3D. Personally, it's just a phone. I don't ever use the 3D. It's just a toy. lol

Anyways, I would also recommend the Droid X. Or any type of Droid. It's a boy phone
    *Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    I third these recommendations.

I hope you won't be offended by the fact that I found the first line your post a bit humorous. When you said "in the hospital near death " it made me think of death as a place. Struck me funny. I have a wierd sense of humor though. Glad you're ok.

Sent from MIUI4DX
    Oh and you call me insensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by knewsom32 View Post
    First android phone I had and used was the shift. I loved it, there was a keyboard, it was touch screen, I had my music on it, no glitches, it was great. Then I moved on to my Samsung Fascinate. I REALLY like this phone. It was great, perfect screen, worked wonderfully, except pictures wouldn't send but I don't send picture mail unless it's to my Facebook. Oh, I also had the Indulge, I didn't like it one bit. Next I had the Droid X. Durable, sturdy phone. It was great. Now I have the HTC EVO 3D. Personally, it's just a phone. I don't ever use the 3D. It's just a toy. lol

Anyways, I would also recommend the Droid X. Or any type of Droid. It's a boy phone
    Fascinate MMS was intermittent. You can't go from these premium phones to an Indulge either. Flashed phones rule if you can use them in your Market.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Fascinate MMS was intermittent. You can't go from these premium phones to an Indulge either. Flashed phones rule if you can use them in your Market.
    Just wondering, what do these other flashed phones have over the indulge?? I mean for someone who doesn't care about front facing cameras, 3D, camera flash, etc..

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by 154-4bdu114h View Post
    Just wondering, what do these other flashed phones have over the indulge?? I mean for someone who doesn't care about front facing cameras, 3D, camera flash, etc..
    If you know what you are doing, full blow custom ROM"s with amazing speed and stability as well as running the latest android build is possible, plus the development community for non-cricket devices is huge.

For instance, If I left my fascinates stock w/ ED05 Froyo, it would have Bing, be sluggish and generally a bad user experience. Put CM7 or MIUI on there, then you have one of the best devices money can buy IMHO. Same goes for the DROIDX, feels like a whole new device once you remove the crap...

tl;dr; Major carriers use better hardware and have bigger dev communities behind them for custom ROM's / kernels...

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself View Post
    If you know what you are doing, full blow custom ROM"s with amazing speed and stability as well as running the latest android build is possible, plus the development community for non-cricket devices is huge.

For instance, If I left my fascinates stock w/ ED05 Froyo, it would have Bing, be sluggish and generally a bad user experience. Put CM7 or MIUI on there, then you have one of the best devices money can buy IMHO. Same goes for the DROIDX, feels like a whole new device once you remove the crap...

tl;dr; Major carriers use better hardware and have bigger dev communities behind them for custom ROM's / kernels...
    ^^ Yep. Now if someone would port MIUI to CM7 to the Indulge .... ya that'd be a slick unit. Course the screen is still too small for my old eyes so it's X for me. With a good rom tho I think it'd be a way better phone.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

I meant for people who rather use a computer than play with phones all day.. (people like me)

I get why "techies" like them, but I'm into computers not gadgets.

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

Well, I definitely would rather use my PC, but I can't all the time, so having a fast, stable, working device with a data connection is definitely useful...

fast would be the part I want to emphasize, especially compared to Cricket branded android devices...

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself View Post
    Well, I definitely would rather use my PC, but I can't all the time, so having a fast, stable, working device with a data connection is definitely useful...

fast would be the part I want to emphasize, especially compared to Cricket branded android devices...
    I think for the average user it would probably be better just to get the indulge and stick to authentic Cricket devices, especially if they do not already have an android phone from another provider. Most customers probably don't even need an Android, they're just jumping on the bandwagon to be cool.

For people who like to mess around with phones, flash custom roms, etc, then of course they would go the route of flashed phones.

Personally I'd be happy with an LG Optimus C, but I love the indulge. I know there are better phones out there, but I don't really need one, and I KNOW for a fact most people don't either (average cricket customer).

My point is basically, flashed phones are nice for some people, for others, especially those who can't flash them themselves they are an unnecessary headache.

I would recommend the indulge for the OP.

NOTE: I'm around a computer 90% of the time, or more. This may influence my opinion.
    Last edited by avenue; 08-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Thread Information