Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Looking for a Good Android Phone.

Hello, I stumbled across this forum whilst looking around at possi possibilities for a new Android powered cell phone.

I currently have an LG Rumour Touch, set up with Virgin Mobile and their $25 300 minutes + unlimited texting and data plan. I looked at the Android devices available at Virgin Mobile, and the LG Optimus is quite nice. According to reviews, it is much more efficient than the Samsung Intercept. The newer Motorola Triumph looks amazing, but alas, it is double my price range.

What I have been looking at so far are Verizon or unlocked Motorola Droids, Droid 2s, and Droid Xs. I feel that it would be quite easy to root and flash the roms for Cricket use usage. I'm an Arch Linux user, so I have quite a bit of experience with linux.

Another option that I have been considering is getting a GSM based phone, such as the HTC G1, then getting a T-Mobile sim card activation package and running with one of their prepaid services.

The uses would be primarily web browsing, the obvious cell phone uses, GBA+NES+SNES+wad emulation, ebook reading, and Netflix. I feel that a phone with a larger screen (above 3.5" or so?) would be best suited to these uses.

Any advice, please? My budget would be around $150 or so, give or take $20ish.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

Regarding Virgin Mobile, you might want to check out
    www.virginusers.com

. There is information there on the new LG Optimus Slider. There is also another slider phone that you might be interested. I believe it is the LG Gelato Q if I remember correctly.

Before we get too far in the phone disucssion with Cricket, it would be helpful if you give us your zip code. We can use that to see if you're able to use flashed phones in your area. There are some nice Cricket phones available, including the Huawei Ascend 2, Samsung Vitality, and now the ZTE Score. There is the Indulge, but it is a little out of your price range. Also, there is the Sanyo Zio, but that is going to be discontinued soon. If you're looking for a cheap phone that would be it at just $49.99.

Don't forget to check out the contests that are going on right now. The HTC Evo 3D and the ZTE Score are both being given away. You got here just in time for it! Make sure you enter.

Phone
    HTC Evo 4G LTE

Just out of curiosity, is virginusers.com owned by the same owners of cricketusers?

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    Regarding Virgin Mobile, you might want to check out
    www.virginusers.com

. There is information there on the new LG Optimus Slider. There is also another slider phone that you might be interested. I believe it is the LG Gelato Q if I remember correctly.

Before we get too far in the phone disucssion with Cricket, it would be helpful if you give us your zip code. We can use that to see if you're able to use flashed phones in your area. There are some nice Cricket phones available, including the Huawei Ascend 2, Samsung Vitality, and now the ZTE Score. There is the Indulge, but it is a little out of your price range. Also, there is the Sanyo Zio, but that is going to be discontinued soon. If you're looking for a cheap phone that would be it at just $49.99.

Don't forget to check out the contests that are going on right now. The HTC Evo 3D and the ZTE Score are both being given away. You got here just in time for it! Make sure you enter.
    My zip code is 48642. I also have entered the contests; I figured "what the hell."

You shouldn't use a flashed phone in your area. You're really stuck with whatever Cricket is offering. Currently, the only phone is the Samsung Vitality. Keep in mind it is $55/month and includes 1,000 minutes, unlimited messaging, and 500 MB of data. You can find more information here: http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...formation.html

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    You shouldn't use a flashed phone in your area. You're really stuck with whatever Cricket is offering. Currently, the only phone is the Samsung Vitality. Keep in mind it is $55/month and includes 1,000 minutes, unlimited messaging, and 500 MB of data. You can find more information here: http://www.cricketusers.com/general-...formation.html
    Why would you say that I shouldn't use a flashed phone in my area? When I'm at home the majority of my use will be on Wifi, I'm sure being just out of the coverage range could handle text messaging; I don't call unless I'm out which would be in the middle of bigger cities.

Phone
    HTC Evo 4G LTE

Because you'll get stuck on this stupid roaming plan like I'm on. And it sucks, trust me.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

As far as Android phones go, there the Vitality AND ZTE Score. Both are triband phones.

You'll see many people in triband areas using flashed phones. Feedback is mixed. Your data has the potential of being really slow, but talk and text should function fine. The key for that is the hybrid PRLs listed in the official PRL thread.

Coverage looks kinda spotty in your area btw. Cricket's coverage area is close to that of Sprint. You just can't roam without heavy fees.
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 09-29-2011 at 05:26 AM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Ca5bah View Post
    Why would you say that I shouldn't use a flashed phone in my area? When I'm at home the majority of my use will be on Wifi, I'm sure being just out of the coverage range could handle text messaging; I don't call unless I'm out which would be in the middle of bigger cities.
    Read the quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt95 View Post
    Because you'll get stuck on this stupid roaming plan like I'm on. And it sucks, trust me.

I really doubt Sprint is going to want people to use any phone they want while using their network. If you were in a Cricket market, where they put up their own towers, and it was a PCS, 1900 Mhz market, then it's fine. If you were in an AWS market, you won't be using Cricket's towers with a flashed phone. With these new nationwide markets, you simply need to use a Cricket phone. You can go to your local Best Buy and pick up the ZTE Score or Samsung Vitality, as mentioned above. If you purchase them from Best Buy, you should be fine. If you do decide to go with a flashed phone, it is at your own risk, and like Holt95 mentioned, you might get stuck on a plan and eventually get disconnected.

Thread Information