Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Flash Sprint Samsung Epic to Cricket (Talk, Text, Internet, Possible MMS)

Here's another tutorial on how to flash a phone to Cricket. Some of this comes from synnmox at the XDAdevelopers forum.

We'll modify it in an attempt to provide the most complete solution possible.

Let it be known that sometimes Cricket says they have put you on the $55 Android plan, but they put you on the All in 55 Plan (5m5). This is not where you want to be. You're paying 10 more bucks a month for absolutely nothing over the 45 dollar plan.

We offer plan change for free to forum members. Just use the contact us link at the very bottom of this page. Premier Supporters of the forum receive additional benefits such as free ESN changes on your account. No more paying $15 everytime you change phones. To become a Premier/Supporting Member, just go to the settings up top and find Paid Subscriptions on the left hand side. Choose a membership level of your liking. Also use the contact us form for any modifications you need made to your account or additional help.

On to the tutorial.

--Start--

Required

A. QPST (http://www.cricketusers.com/flashi...ild-355-a.html)
    B. Samsung drivers for the Epic (
    Samsung

)
    C A Windows PC with either Win7, XP or Vista
    D. PRL (http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing-tools-files-programming/5041-*sticky*-official-cricket-prl-thread.html)
    E. ConnectBot APK or CDMA workshop (google) OR http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing-tools-files-programming/44-cdma-workshop-2-7-download.html to get MSL (aka SPC)

---Getting your MSL---
    -If you know your MSL already you can skip this part and start at the "Getting started and setting up QPST".
    1. Find and install "Connectbot" found in the market or at the bottom of the post.
    2. Select the dropdown box on the bottom left that says "SSH", and choose "local". Put whatever you'd like in the nickname box and hit "enter".
    3. Click on "Android".
    4. Use the command "getprop ril.MSL" and hit "enter".
    5. Your MSL should now be displayed.

...If that doesnt work...
    1.Type "getprop" instead.
    2. It should show a long list, scroll down to the section that starts with "ril".
    3. You should see "ril.msl", the 6 digit MSL number will be after that.

If that works, then don't worry about the method below.

For the CDMA workshop method you need to install the drivers at the bottom of this post. Install CDMA workshop also.

Then plug in your phone to your computer and when prompted to choose between "Charging, mass storage, or tethered modem", choose "Tethered modem", then choose "3g modem".

***(Note: If you are having trouble with QPST recognizing your phone, instead of using the "Tethered modem" method when plugging in your phone, dial ##8778# and switch both the "UART" and "USB" options to "MODEM". QPST should then see your phone. Revert the "MODEM" option in the previous menu to "PDA" when done.)

Open up CDMA workshop and select the port that your phone shows up on. Hit connect. Then go to the security tab and hit "read" under SPC/User Lock. It will give you a 6 digit code. Either write that one down OR hit send. This will unlock the phone. Then you can enter 000000 or something easy for you to remember. Hit write and it'll change it to this number. Close out the program, but don't let it reset your phone. Choose not to.

---Getting started and setting up QPST---
    1. If you haven't already, plug in your phone to your computer and when prompted to choose between "Charging, mass storage, or tethered modem", choose "Tethered modem", then choose "3g modem".

2. Open up QPST > "QPST Configuration". Click on the "Add new port" on the bottom right. Uncheck mark the "Show serial and USB ports only". In the box above it, you should see your phone connected and the corresponding COM port. Select it and the "Port" and "Port label" will autofill. Hit "Ok".

3. Open up QPST > Service programming. Select your phone in the "Select an active phone" box.
    Click on "Read from phone" and enter your SPC when prompted.

***(Note: If you are having trouble with QPST recognizing your phone, instead of using the "Tethered modem" method when plugging in your phone, dial ##8778# and switch both the "UART" and "USB" options to "MODEM". QPST should then see your phone. Revert the "MODEM" option in the previous menu to "PDA" when done.)

---For talk/text---
    1. You will first write a new prl to your phone. Our link from earlier should containt the most up to date PRL.
    2. Click on the "Roam tab at the top.
    3. Click on the "browse" button under "Preferred roaming" and locate the prl file you wish to write.
    4. Click on "Write to phone".
    5. Let QPST do it's thing and voila, your new PRL will be written to your phone.

---For internet---
    1. Click the "M.IP" tab (may be "M.IPv6") and set "Mobile IP Behavior" as "MOB + Simp".
    Select any profiles listed under "user profiles" and click edit. Do the following for all profiles:
    Make sure that "profile enabled" is checked and enter in the following:
    NAI: your10digitcricketnumber@mycricket.com
    Tethered NAI: your10digitcricketnumber@mycricket.com
    2. Change "home address", "primary ha", and "secondary HA" to all zeros.
    3. On both "HA Shared" and "AAA Shared Secret, select the "enter text string" and type in the following password (all lower case): "cricket".
    4. Click "Ok".
    5. Set active user as "0".
    6. Click "PPP Config".
    7. Click the "Um" Button.
    8. Under user ID enter: your10digitcricketnumber@mycricket.com as well as for tethered NAI. If a text box is black with red lines in it, click it and press ctrl + D. Enter "cricket" in the password box.
    9.Click the "AN" Button and repeat the last step.
    10. Click "write to phone"...After that, you should now have the 3g icon on your phone.

If you are on the 55 dollar Android plan, then your data should work at this point. If you would like to use the 45 dollar plan, please read on.

First $45 Plan Method

You must be rooted in order to use this... Here is a root method for Froyo and Eclair: http://www.cricketusers.com/sprint-s...html#post20117

GreenK45

Second$45 Plan Method

You must be rooted in order to do this. The easiest method is z4root which is attached. Just install it and run it. If it freezes for a long time, reboot and then run it immediately after the system stabilizes.

Get Autostart.sh & U2nl from
    whiterabbit.org

(thanks to whiterabbit). Save autostart.sh and U2nl in C:\android\tools\.

Before starting the next step make sure you have the u2nl file in your this folder c:\android\tools and also that you have you autostart.sh file in this folder c:\android\tools
    Now go to command prompt and type the following commands,

cd c:\android\tools <enter>
    adb shell <enter>
    mkdir /data/opt/ <enter>
    exit <enter>
    adb remount <enter>
    adb push c:\android\tools\u2nl /system/bin/u2nl <enter>
    adb push c:\android\tools\autostart.sh /data/opt/autostart.sh <enter>
    Now:
    adb shell <enter>
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/u2nl <enter>
    chmod 0755 /data/opt/autostart.sh <enter>
    exit <enter>
    adb reboot <enter>

Install Autostart from the Market or download it form the bottom of this post and install it. Reboot the phone (sometimes it will take more than 1 reboot) and give the Superuser Permission box a few seconds to pop up. Autostart will be looking for permission. Grant it.

If you have problems doing this from the command prompt, you can move these files with something like Root Explorer. Just place the files on your SDCard.

Your Internet should work now.

Third $45 Plan Method (not recommended)

Get anycut.apk at the bottom of this post. Install it and you will make a shortcut to an activity. You're looking for "proxy". When you select it from the list, it will make a shortcut on your homescreen. Click it and enter wap.mycricket.com port 8080.

Your Internet should work now.

MMS

I'm attaching the files that were on the Cricket Indulge. Good luck with MMS on this one though....

Youtube and Other Streaming Media

1) Dial ##3282# (this doesn't dial anyone just opens a hidden data menu)
    2) Choose Multimedia
    3) Enter MSL Code (mine was 833546)
    4) Change RTSP Proxy Address to: 0.0.0.0
    5) Change RTSP Proxy Port to: 0
    6) Change HTTP PD Proxy Address to: 0.0.0.0 (mine already was)
    7) Change HTTP PD Proxy Port to: 0 (mine already was)

--end--

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 08-14-2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

Hello,

I have followed all the steps on this tutorial and it seems like I did everything right because the new PRL shows up on my phone info. I activated my phone with Cricket yesterday on the Android 55 plan but my phone is getting no signal at all.
    It shows the little circle with a diagonal dash on it saying that there is no service, sometimes when I'm outside it will get one bar but it won't hold it for long enough for me to even activate it through *22804.
    Anyone has an idea on how to fix this issue?

-Edit: I have tried the following PRL
    45722.prl
    45513MyCricketForumDotCom.prl
    42900.prl
    EV 32100.prl
    42700.ckt.prl
    42800Ckt.prl

Best,
    ecco

xbiker321

MMS is a tough one, I installed the Mms.apk file you provided and that didnt work either.

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

As the other two posts above me i have not been able to get MMS working either. If anyone has any other suggestions i am open to try anything else out. I am in the San Antonio area and i will post all the PRL that i will be trying to see if that makes a difference.

xbiker321

I dunno what I was doing wrong but setting up internet on the $45 plan was a tough one. The settings in QPST have to be just right, then adjusting somethings in the phone. Sheesh, just glad I got everything working..except Voicemail and MMS or course.

Overall activity: 1.0%

I also was successfully able to get everything running well except MMS, which I'm used to when it comes to flashing to cricket, so I am highly satisfied Might I also suggest rather than using autostart everyone should try script runner on the market. It will run the autostart and u2nl files automatically whenever you turn on your 3g internet you can also set a time interval to make it re-run the scripts if you're having dropped connection problems

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by epicnewbie69 View Post
    As the other two posts above me i have not been able to get MMS working either. If anyone has any other suggestions i am open to try anything else out. I am in the San Antonio area and i will post all the PRL that i will be trying to see if that makes a difference.
    Are you having voicemail or voicemail notification problems? If it's the latter then get voicemail notifier from the Market.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

I have finally figured out how to get MMS working on my Epic. So far i have been able to send to my wifes Ascend 2. I will keep testing it out to see if it will work across all networks and not just cricket. See you all in a few hours.

xbiker321

Great job Newbie!! Definitely let us know how it turns out.

Chris, thanks for the advice, I'll try that now

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I have finally figured out how to get MMS working on my Epic. So far i have been able to send to my wifes Ascend 2. I will keep testing it out to see if it will work across all networks and not just cricket. See you all in a few hours.
    If this is a stable working solution, you'll please a lot of people. There are so many methods to getting MMS to work on different phones, that one combination should work. Please let us know.

I was able to get MMS on 2.1 with DroidFlash, but that program cost a lot of money.

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

Well im back and still testing but i never thought about testing an incoming mms. So far i can only send out but not receive. When i send a test to myself i get the message but its from sender anonymous and i dont see a picture. I tried a test mms from my wifes ascend 2 to my epic and same thing happen sender anonymous and no picture. But i will keep messing with it and get back with you all.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Someone on XDA was getting incoming SMS. I need to get a hold of another Epic.

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    Someone on XDA was getting incoming SMS. I need to get a hold of another Epic.
    I think i saw that thread but it was on boost mobile service. At least that was the only thread i had found at the time.

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

Ok so for everyone following along let me tell you what i have done to get at least sending working.
    For specs in on Syn rom Frozen 1.2 modem ee03 genocide 2.0 kernel.

what i had to do was use voice dialer and say A P N. That gives you the open apn settings. in there i had to restore default. once it was restored i powered off the phone and turned it back on.

Once powered on i go back into open APN and i modify the sprint apn thats in there.
    For name and apn i put cricket.
    Proxy is wap.mycricket.com
    Port 8080
    User name yourphonenumber@mycricket.com
    Password cricket
    Server leave blank
    MMSC
    http://mms.mycricket.com/mycricket/mms.php

MMS Proxy wap.mycricket.com
    MMS Port 8080
    MMC and MNC i leave whatever is already there. If i change anything in MMC or MNC the APN disappears
    Authentication type None
    APN type MMS.

If anyone can figure out why receiving doesnt work that would be awesome but i will continue to test and see if i can figure anything out. As for the 2 methods above they did not work for me since the settings were different in the MMC and MNC. I didnt trying changing the MMC and MNC before restoring them with apn backup and restore but i will give that a try sometime. Good Luck everyone

P.S. Just as a heads up, i tried to send myself another message and once i tried that i now cant send out like i used to unless i poweroff the phone. A reboot will not work if you send yourself a mms you will have to power it off.

Last edited by epicnewbie69; 07-25-2011 at 12:26 AM.

xbiker321

P.S. Just as a heads up, i tried to send myself another message and once i tried that i now cant send out like i used to unless i poweroff the phone. A reboot will not work if you send yourself a mms you will have to power it off.
    Thanks, I tried it and same situation with the one time send. I'll keep messing around with it too.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information