Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 2.0%

Epic 4G no longer shows up in Device Manager - Windows 7 x64

So I went to Austin last weekend, and while I was there my phone somehow lost it's PRL. The phone was working just fine, then I put in my pocket for about an hour and when I pulled it back out to use it again, it had the no service icon showing. After getting back to SA, I did some research and that's when I found my prl was missing. I also found that if I went to settings --> about phone --> status, that I get a message that says "The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

I thought I would try and reload my prl to see if that would restore my service. I've flashed two of these Epics on my computer so far, and things went swimmingly before. However, for some reason my computer will no longer acknowledge that my phone is connected when I plug it into a USB port and set the phoneutil (##8778#) to modem.

If I select "Mass Storage" on the phone when I plug it in and hit the connect button, Windows will bring up the contents of the sd card, so I know the USB ports and the cable are working. But when I select "Charging Only" on the phone and then use phoneutil to switch it to modem mode, nothing happens on the computer. No new ports, modems or USB devices show up in the device manager. Subsequently, this means QPST cannot connect to the phone and I'm left without service.

Things I Have Tried
    First thing I did was ensure that debugging mode was not on (it wasn't).

Then, re-download the drivers from Samsung's web site and re-install them. Then I rebooted both the phone and the computer and tried again. That didn't resolve my issue though.

Next, I tried connecting the phone to all 6 USB ports on my computer (2 in the front, 4 in the back) as well as trying the 4 additional ports offered by an externally powered hub that I have connected to the computer. I still could not get modem mode to be recognized (but mass storage worked fine on each port).

Settling on one of the back USB ports on the computer, I then proceeded to try switching debugging mode on and off and switching both the UART and USB options on the phoneutil to PDA and the Modem in all combinations (including trying with the USB cable connected and disconnected). I still could not get Windows 7 to assign the phone a port number.

Next, I tried booting the phone into download mode (powering down the phone then holding down the 1 key and the power button at the same time). Windows then at least installed a Samsung modem driver, which I could see in device manager under the Modems section. Unfortunately, QPST could not use the phone in this state.

I pulled the battery and rebooted hoping that perhaps the newly installed driver would help in some way, but alas, it did not.

I'm at a loss here. What else can I do to get the phone connected to QPST?

Info That Might Be Useful
    Firmware: 2.3.5
    Baseband: Unknown
    Kernel: 2.6.35.7-CleanGB-gdaf5649
    Build: CleanGB-1.0.3
    Hardware Version: Unknown

Under Settings --> Wireless and Network, the following are greyed out and won't let me into the sub-menus: Bluetooth Settings, Mobile Networks, Roaming.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Hmmmmm. 50 views and no responses. This must be one of those issues so simple that the answer is a link to "Let Me Google That For You". I'll keep searching the google-verse, but so far I can't find anything different than what I've done above. At this point, I'd appreciate that LMGTFY link as I've obviously left out an important keyword from my searches.

Z

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.2%

Re: Epic 4G no longer shows up in Device Manager - Windows 7 x64

Interesting bit of reverse psychology to get people looking. If you find the answer, post it here so future googlers can find it.

Sent from my rotary phone.

I intend to. It's disappointing when you find "problem solved" posts without an explanation of the solution.

My intent was not to try and get someone else to do the work that I have been doing. I figured there were several reasons why there has not been a response yet.
    1. The phone is too old for anyone else to care about anymore. My problem with Windows 7 not assigning it a com port is not necessarily about the phone itself, as evidenced by search results. And while some solutions are phone/rom specific (dialer commands, menu options, etc), I didn't figure this was the most likely solution.
    2. The problem is just too difficult to be solved. I highly doubted this to be the case and therefore decided not to mention it.
    3. I hadn't allowed enough time for a response. This may still be the case, but seeing how many new posts were made and how many views my query recieved, I thought it safe to bump the thread.
    4. The solution is easy and I'm just not seeing it. I found this to be the most probable and therefor decided to post it. The only reason I mentioned LMGTFY is because I often see that on various boards I frequent as a response to problems that someone else finds easy enough to solve.

I apologize if my second post came across as "Hey, someone do the work for me". That's not the case at all. I'm not one to just post a request for help at the first sign of an issue. I use google frequently and I'm usually able to resolve most of my issues with it's help. On few occasions, however, I am unable to find a solution and it's only then that I reach out for help from a community.

Now I probably sound all pouty and hurt. *sigh*

All I need is some direction in getting the phone recognized by the OS again. It used to work as I flashed the phone with this same set up (computer, phone and cable) before and for some reason it's no longer working. The problem and my fruitless searching are both frustrating and that frustration is probably coming through in my posts. I'm sorry about that if it is.

Z
    Last edited by zilonox; 12-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.

My repair efforts have resulted in now not being able to access the phone as a mass storage device any more.

Any one have a tip on how to resolve all this?

Z

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|
    Overall activity: 0%

Re: Epic 4G no longer shows up in Device Manager - Windows 7 x64

That happened to me once, flashed a custom ROM and fixed the problem so try that. Make sure its not aosp or cm or you won't get into diag mode unless you use a set of scripts to do it

-Posted with Samsung Galaxy SIII
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    EVO 3D

Did you ever find a solution for the problem? If not, this worked for me. If this video helps please thank QBKING77 for his support.
    How to Unroot / Unbrick the Samsung Epic 4G - Latest - YouTube

Thank you oriax123 and D3M0 for your suggestions.

After a month of not having a phone and messing with drivers and phone settings, I finally got to the point where I swallowed my pride and took the phone to a shop to have it reflashed. It took some time to find one that would accept it (reasons most often cited were my stated problems with the phone (so much for being honest I guess) or the fact that it was running a custom ROM (CleanGB)).

I didn't really want to plunk down the $35 they asked for, but I realized that by that point I had invested a lot of my time into trying to resolve the issue, not to mention the month of phone service I paid for but had/could not use. So it was with a heavy heart and high hopes that I paid and left the phone with them.

I returned the next day as instructed, only to find that they were not able to perform the flash. They tried three different computers and at least that many cables and experienced the same problem I had been having - the phone stubbornly refused to reveal it's presence to the computers. They did not perform any further diagnostics (since I had paid for a flash, not a repair), but theorized damage to one or more of the pins in the USB port on the phone since it would charge, but not be recognized by the computers.

On the one hand, I was disappointed that I was still without a phone, but on the other hand I was delighted to find out that the issue was one of hardware and not of skill. (Granted, I probably caused the damage by using the phone while it was plugged in - the USB connector is on the top of this phone and I can now see the stress put on the connection when using it in portrait mode while it is plugged in.)

With refund in hand, I headed home and dug my old HTC Hero out of the drawer it had been languishing in and did a quick ESN swap (as well as changing my plan from the old $55 one to the new $50 one). I'd forgotten how sluggish that thing was, but I also realized how much I missed having actual hardware buttons that click satisfyingly when you press them (call me old-fashioned if you must). And the trackball was/is really handy for things like placing the cursor when editing text (something I used the keyboard arrows for on the Epic), and navigating through/around web pages.

I'm looking at options for another upgrade. I'm thinking of getting Cricket's SGS3 for my wife so she can have 4G (she uses her phone A LOT). Her current Epic Touch (SGS2) would pass down to me then. I really did like the physical keyboard on my Epic though... but I guess such niceties are already a thing of the past.

Anyway, to close this up here: Yes, the issue is resolved in a sense. Since it was a hardware issue, I had to switch phones. (BTW, if anyone needs an Epic 4G for parts, I'll have it up on eBay in a couple of days - with an honest description of it's state/condition of course.)

Z
    Last edited by zilonox; 01-10-2013 at 12:10 PM.

Thread Information