Sign Up Now FAQ
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

 
Welcome to Cricket Users!



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    South Jordan, Utah, United States
    Posts
    19
    Phone
    Droid 2



    To build a Rom...

    Any of you guys experienced with creating a ROM? I am wanting to start be a contributor to the Andro-community and I thought messing with a ROM would expose me to many elements. Do you guys recommend any articles, tutorials, etc that would guide me in that direction?

  2. Remove this advertisement.
  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    I'm also interested in this.

    Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    Recognized Developer
    Points: 8,091, Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    337
    Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR



    It honestly depends on what modifications you are intending to implement.

    In a nutshell, get a Stock ROM as a "base" and modify the .zip as you see fit, there is no real "guide" to doing it.

  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    What about using sdk and making kernels?

    I've already done some room tweeks by playing inside of zip files but I figure theres more that can be done and some of the files I was not able to figure out what they were

    Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whitefiretiger; 07-10-2011 at 08:13 PM.

  6. #5
    Recognized Developer
    Points: 8,091, Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    337
    Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR



    I think you may have some research ahead of you good sir, it is not just using the sdk and making kernels. You need the source code for the particular kernel you intend to modify as well as some knowledge of C. I have not done any kernel work, just FYI.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself View Post
    I think you may have some research ahead of you good sir, it is not just using the sdk and making kernels. You need the source code for the particular kernel you intend to modify as well as some knowledge of C. I have not done any kernel work, just FYI.
    I kinda figured as much. At this point im only interested in doing for the droid. I have yet to find that perfict setup

    Don't get me wrong I love how my phone runs just think I might be ankle to improve it
    And I feel bad its my device I want to put more into it

    Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by whitefiretiger; 07-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.

  8. #7
    Recognized Developer
    Points: 8,091, Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    337
    Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR



    Personally, I would just use Project Elite. I almost crapped my pants at how snappy it is on the D1. Either use it, or use it as a base to mod from.

    If you don't know any C, I doubt you will make a performance increase from the kernel. Plus, D1 is saturated with kernels as it is. I am not trying to discourage you, just saying that most of the "legwork" has been done already. I'm all for learning though, so get reading!

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself View Post
    Personally, I would just use Project Elite. I almost crapped my pants at how snappy it is on the D1. Either use it, or use it as a base to mod from.

    If you don't know any C, I doubt you will make a performance increase from the kernel. Plus, D1 is saturated with kernels as it is. I am not trying to discourage you, just saying that most of the "legwork" has been done already. I'm all for learning though, so get reading!
    I'll be looking into this.
    I've been looking for something that explains what some of the os files are and id they can be edited and how without it possibly killing my phone. For example I know what the apns-conf.xml file is and how I can edit it so when I install the rom to a phone most of the work is done for me.

    Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Recognized Developer
    Points: 8,091, Level: 60
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    Posts
    337
    Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR



    If you can SBF, you never will have a brick, just never unplug while flashing the bootloader (rare chance you would be writing bootloader). I am still not sure what you are trying to implement, therefore I can't point you in any direction.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself View Post
    If you can SBF, you never will have a brick, just never unplug while flashing the bootloader (rare chance you would be writing bootloader). I am still not sure what you are trying to implement, therefore I can't point you in any direction.
    Ok sorry. Basically there is a lot of different .xml and other files contained within the rom.zip that I don't know what they are and would like to find a page or something that explains them

    Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk

  12. #11
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    Quote Originally Posted by whitefiretiger View Post
    Ok sorry. Basically there is a lot of different .xml and other files contained within the rom.zip that I don't know what they are and would like to find a page or something that explains them

    Swyped from my Cricket Droid os 2.3.4 using Tapatalk
    I'm experienced in both

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    I'm experienced in both
    then help me figure this stuff out. I scratched your bb. i ment back. lol. i am not trying to take your job just want to tweek my droid then when i think its good share it with the other wonderful members of MCF.

    another thing i was trying to figure out is how to swap a kernel so that dont have to flash a rom then flash a different kernel. im all about simplifying my work. if i can remove a step safly im all for it.
    Last edited by whitefiretiger; 07-11-2011 at 02:25 AM.

  14. #13
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    Quote Originally Posted by whitefiretiger View Post
    then help me figure this stuff out. I scratched your bb. i ment back. lol. i am not trying to take your job just want to tweek my droid then when i think its good share it with the other wonderful members of MCF.

    another thing i was trying to figure out is how to swap a kernel so that dont have to flash a rom then flash a different kernel. im all about simplifying my work. if i can remove a step safly im all for it.
    Can you code?

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Points: 1,825, Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    whitefiretiger's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 18
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lincoln, NE
    Posts
    472
    Phone
    EVO 4G Cricket



    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    Can you code?
    No not really. I just want to mostly be able to know what I can edit

    the other reason i want to know how to integrate a kernal into the rom is because when i try to flash any kernel using the update.zip method my phone gets stuck on the M logo boot screen even if its the kernel that im using already (tried about 20 kernels)
    Last edited by whitefiretiger; 07-11-2011 at 04:39 PM.

  16. #15
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    Quote Originally Posted by whitefiretiger View Post
    No not really. I just want to mostly be able to know what I can edit

    the other reason i want to know how to integrate a kernal into the rom is because when i try to flash any kernel using the update.zip method my phone gets stuck on the M logo boot screen even if its the kernel that im using already (tried about 20 kernels)
    interesting, well without coding knowledge I can't help you much until you learn.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [Download] QPST Version 2.7 Build 355
    By Chris Rodriguez in forum Flashing Tools / Files / General Discussion (programming)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-24-2013, 02:37 PM
  2. ThunderBolt excitement continues to build
    By CU-News in forum Android News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2010, 07:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 07:57 PM
  5. Cellular South to build 4G LTE network
    By CU-News in forum Android News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Advertise With Us?
Advertise with us? (Position 1 - Advertise with Us) Small Banner