Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Droid 2 Bootstrap APK File

In case you are having a problem download the Droid 2 Bootstrap APK by Koush, we've attached it here. We had pretty good luck using the Droid X Bootstrap APK for a while, but it's probably better if you use this one.

Basically if you didn't know already, you need this to boot into Clockworkmod Recovery.

"Caveats:
    This is not a *real* recovery. The way this recovery works is by hijacking portions of your boot process during system initialization and starting into recovery instead. So, if you hose your system *COMPLETELY* you will need to SBF. Specifically, if your logwrapper, logwrapper.bin, or hijack binary are missing from /system/bin, you will be screwed.

Do I have to be rooted to run this?
    Yes.

So can we now install custom ROMs?
    Yes, but you can't replace the kernel or boot image. But really, once you have access to /system, anything is possible. It will just take a little hackery.

How does this work?
    When your device boots up, there is a init.rc script in your boot image that runs various components found in /system. The Droid X recovery bootstrap mimics the "logwrapper" binary. The hijacker then looks for "/data/.recovery_mode", and if it finds it, it unmounts /system to prevent android from starting. It then starts up recovery instead.

How do I boot into recovery?
    You can manually create the /data/.recovery_mode via a terminal file and simply reboot, and you will be in recovery. Or you can use the handy Droid X Recovery Bootstrap application to reboot into recovery.

What if my phone won't boot? How do I get into recovery without the app?
    When the hijacker runs, it will automatically create the "/data/.recovery_mode" file after it finishes. This tells the system that the next time it boots, it should boot into recovery. But, when the system starts, the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap will then delete that file when Android is fully started, to prevent you from booting into recovery. So what does this mean? If you fail to boot, simply pull your battery, and your next boot will be into recovery (unless your /system is *really* hosed, in which case you need to SBF).

How do I fix my phone if I really mess it up?
    Use an SBF. Google it. Twitter /

Why does the Droid X Recovery Bootstrap start on boot?
    As mentioned above, it needs to log that your phone booted successfully and recovery mode is not necessary. It also replaces your "adb daemon" with one that has root permissions, allowing for easier usage of the adb command.

Will this work with ROM Manager?
    Yep! But you must run the Bootstrap app and leave it installed.

Is this open source?
    Yep.
    Recovery:
    http://github.com/koush/android_bootable_recovery

Droid X Bootstrap:
    http://github.com/koush/DroidXBootstrap

Droid X Hijack:
    http://github.com/koush/android_vendor_motorola_droidx

OK STOP TALKING, WHERE DO I GET IT?
    You can donate and grab it for $2 off the Android Market (search for Droid X Recovery Bootstrap or Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap), or you can download it for free here:"

We encourage you to pay the $2 bucks at some point if you find this useful.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

Thanks, been looking for this everywhere

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Glad to help. I think initially I was able to scoot by using the Droid X, and then it became apparent there were slight differences.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Awesome...thanks!!!

Phone
    Droid X

Please help when I try to download from my droid x it says unsupported content...want to go to gb but need this first any help would be appreciated..........nevermind forced it through pc thanks
    Last edited by 4511.251; 07-07-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: figured it out

Phone
    DroidX Apex rom2.0

Quote Originally Posted by 4511.251 View Post
    Please help when I try to download from my droid x it says unsupported content...want to go to gb but need this first any help would be appreciated
    Do you have allow unknown sources checked in your settings> application settings?

Swyped this from my Droidx using tapatalk

where do i install the bootstrap on my phone?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

It's an apk file. This is the same type of final any of the applications on your phone are. Place it on your phone, find it using Astro File Manager, Root Explorer or any other file manager and install. Make sure that settings > applications > allow installation from unknown locations is enabled.

Thread Information