Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 8.0%

I want to flash my Droid X to Cricket.

I recently bought a Droid X that is running Gingerbread 2.3.4 (4.5.621) and I was wondering if it would be possible to flash it over to cricket? I am not sure if it is possible because according to what I've read after I tried rooting my phone is that it's not currently possible to root 2.3.4 (4.5.621) through the normal rooting methods so I may not be able to use the Cricket network unless there is another workaround for that. I bought the phone because I really like it, it was cheap and is better than my crummy Tracphone in terms of features.

The phone has a clean ESN/MEID so I shouldn't have any problems flashing it over and activating service with Cricket if there is a way.

:Edit: Besides rooting I am also having a problem finding a working CDMA workshop, not sure if the trial version is sufficient as I can't afford to pay $100 for something I am only going to use once.
    Last edited by Xtreme2damax; 04-22-2012 at 11:22 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Verified Developer
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme2damax View Post
    I recently bought a Droid X that is running Gingerbread 2.3.4 (4.5.621) and I was wondering if it would be possible to flash it over to cricket? I am not sure if it is possible because according to what I've read after I tried rooting my phone is that it's not currently possible to root 2.3.4 (4.5.621) through the normal rooting methods so I may not be able to use the Cricket network unless there is another workaround for that. I bought the phone because I really like it, it was cheap and is better than my crummy Tracphone in terms of features.

The phone has a clean ESN/MEID so I shouldn't have any problems flashing it over and activating service with Cricket if there is a way.

:Edit: Besides rooting I am also having a problem finding a working CDMA workshop, not sure if the trial version is sufficient as I can't afford to pay $100 for something I am only going to use once.
    there is a rooted 621 out now I do believe, would be on the droidx or android forums.

Finding CDMA Workshop is sumtin I cant help you with tho

Once I root it after installing Milestone X, can I install a custom rom and then flash it over to cricket? Before I get ahead is it at all possible to flash the phone to Cricket with the 4.5.621 update?

Verified Developer

actually you want to flash it over with it stock, you will need the hiiden program menu you access via the dialer to set certain things like phone #. Then once you have it working on cricket, you can flash which ever ROM you want to it.

I had the Gingerbread 2.3.4 (4.5.621) update and just rooted my phone by flashing a milestone rom and running the zerg exploit, is it possible to flash over to Cricket with this rom or the .621 update? I am not sure if the guide for flashing to cricket still applies as it seems the guide was submitted for Froyo.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

For the most part it is. There will probably be differences in the MMS settings.

You can use the NV item sender program CDMA Ware has instead of the full version to complete what you need to do. No pirated software required.

I'm moving this thread because it's in the wrong section. The forum has been broken down into specific devices for this type of conversation.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    For the most part it is. There will probably be differences in the MMS settings.

You can use the NV item sender program CDMA Ware has instead of the full version to complete what you need to do. No pirated software required.

I'm moving this thread because it's in the wrong section. The forum has been broken down into specific devices for this type of conversation.
    Ah ok, didn't know that I posted in the wrong section. What do you mean by differences in the mms settings, is there anything different that I need to do since it isn't a stock rom?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme2damax View Post
    Ah ok, didn't know that I posted in the wrong section. What do you mean by differences in the mms settings, is there anything different that I need to do since it isn't a stock rom?
    You're going to have to experiment with the MMS settings (Froyo are probably not the same as Gingerbread). Mraab's solution is universal and easier to apply than most methods.

Just read up in the Droid X section for people's experiences and tips for getting MMS to work. It should be the last priority during the flash process.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I want to get service prior to flashing the phone so I get everything done correctly the first time. Am I going to have to pay up front to get service with Cricket? I'm not sure, on their website under plans it shows it as TBD and no activation fee. I am not too sure how they do billing. Right now my phone has no service and no number, so how do I get service & a number. I called Cricket and they said I have to go to a local Cricket store.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I say the same thing they do. You can't just get a new account online without purchasing a phone from them.

I would suggest you find your local authorized dealer and explain to them you just need an account. Tell them to put the ESN for your Droid X on there and that you'll do the flashing. Authorized dealers will be less likely IMO to say, "You have to have that flashed before we can do it".

I've always hated that statement. Putting a Cricket PRL on a phone to me does not equal flashed.

Well I just stopped into my local wireless store and they told me I would need to pay upfront for service. Not sure how true that is since Cricket's website states for billing "TBD" and no activation fee, not sure if that only applies to adding a line with an existing account and service through them. This was at a third party wireless store, I don't know if I should bother going to the official Cricket store until I get some money which won't be until next month.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

If you add a line to an existing account it is free for the first month (after paying 15 activation fee).

If you are starting a new line you have to pay the first month and activation fee.

So all it is is flashing a prl basically? What is the whiterabbit website (NVItems) and qpst for, are those for making a prl? Because for some reason Qpst is not seeing my phone.

:Edit: The guide does seem a bit confusing and some things may be outdated. I downloaded the CDMA workshop demo along with HW virtual serial port and sent a cricket prl to my phone. When I dial *228 I get Cricket, is Qpst and NVitems from whiterabbit even required and if so, why? I still can not get Qpst to see my phone for some reason.
    Last edited by Xtreme2damax; 04-23-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

You should try posting in the actual tutorial. This thread is being closed because it's discussion will run parallel to the one in that thread.

You also must have misread/misunderstood me.

Thread Information