Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Phone Whore(;
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Apple iPhone 5

Google Play Design

Name:  google-play-540x337.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  50.3 KB
    (Picture Source:
    Android Community

)

If you haven't noticed by now, there is quite the controversy going on over at
    Android Police

about why the Google Play Store's interface is a "mess." Android Police's author, Liam Spradlin, posted an article explaining why he thinks the interface "doesn't jive with Google's overall habits of design" and how it is unorganized and jumbled.

In his defense, just in case someone asked him what he wanted it to look like, he posted a few photoshopped photos of the Google Play Store. Here are a few:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png_thumb2.pn.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	2040

Name:	png3.pn.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	703.6 KB 
ID:	2041

Okay, here's what I think.... I think this is horrible. The blinding white background is an eyesore, the font colors are even worse because they are hard to read, and I also believe that the promotions should stay on the front page of the app.

Oh, and I also think every app should be different. Of course the Play Store is going to have a different interface than Google Plus, and Google Mail, and Books, it's a totally different app made for a different purpose. It's not going to be the same as a social media app. I'm sorry, but I'd also like to be able to distinguish which app is which.

I like to have color and that's what the Play Store gives us now. I love the tiled interface, I find it easy to navigate and anyone who finds it confusing, is a herp derp. (Referencing Jersey Shore,
    Urban Dictionary

)

So my questions are, what would you change? Why would you change it? Do you like the original interface or the fashion designers blinding white eyesore interface? What would you keep/change?

Here are some more of his examples of the Google Play Store:

Name:	2-app-front2.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	296.7 KB 
ID:	2042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-app-listing1.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	313.4 KB 
ID:	2043Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-music-front1.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	2044Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-music-listing1.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	2045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-book-front1.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	2046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-book-listing1.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	2047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8-movie-front1.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	359.8 KB 
ID:	2048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-movie-listing1.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	2049

Last edited by knewsom32; 03-23-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    *Please PM me ONLY if you have posted in the forum, and I have not replied. Thank you.*

Wanna know how I became a SuperMod?? I got engaged to the creator of the site. (;

Find devices to flash to Cricket here (refine the search to find the phone model you desire).
    Feel free to donate so we can get more devices to write tutorials on!
    GreenK45 - Automatic proxy setup (u2nl/autostart) for Android flashed phone users on the $45 plan. Now available on the Android Market!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

The author was like a fashion reporter, photographer, etc. Why I value others opinions, I believe this layout reflects something one would wish to appear in print media. It really seems dull to me.

The only conclusion I've come up to satisfy everyone is an app with default layouts and customizable ones. That could easily make everyone's Play time enjoyable.

In general though, I don't think this was a big enough deal to write about. Different departments design different applications. I'm pretty sure of that. My Gmail has a different purpose than Google Plus. Should I stay away from all apps that don't follow the same theme?
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information