Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Text Messaging Apps

Handcent SMS (free)-Handcent fully unleashes the messaging power for android phones, fully customizable and more features than the stock android messaging app.

Chomp MMS (free) - Frustrated with the built-in Messaging application? Want more features? Then chompSMS is for you, with lots of extra features like chat-style bubbles, contact pictures, quick reply, signatures, templates, blacklisting, heaps of customizations, themes and much more!

I use the first, but both of these are nice replacements for the stock messaging app.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Handcent problems

I use handcent but the main problem I have with it is that I cant recieve pictures with it unless I have the default Mms.apk on the phone. After installing A2tude rom I went in and deleted Cricket folder and removed other apps from /system/app (just the crap I dont or wont use and those that I've found better apps for) anyways I deleted Mms.apk and installed Handcent. I got regular text fine but kept erroring out when downloading picture msgs. Resolved that by reinstalling Mms.apk! Handcent would be perfect if I could have it work without Mms.apk installed!

Overall activity: 0%

I have tried Handscent and Chomp, both are good, but my favorite messaging apps are:

GoSMS Pro (free) - I really like the many features it has along with the many free themes that can be used with it. It's easy to customize and the settings can be backed up and restored. It offers a convenient voice feature, but it doesn't always display what you say with perfect accuracy but it's good for quick short replies. The GoSMS widget integrates perfectly with the messaging app also. The MMS features work well and it even has a feature in which you can create freehand drawings and send them; not really a feature I use, but it's there for those who like those things. I recommend you give this app a try.

MightyText (free) - This is a messaging app that you install on your smartphone that communicates with the MightyText Google Chrome extension so you can text from your computer. It's a very limited application though. Everything comes in as plain text -- so no smileys unfortunately. An annoying feature is each text appears in a new window which means that if you don't respond to the previous text before the next one comes in you will have multiple windows to deal with. Other than that, I recommend this app because it's convenient for those who are always on the computer and are too busy or lazy to pick up the phone to respond.
    Last edited by internalrage37; 01-17-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Thread Information