Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

CenturionFive

Just got a Optimus C, would like to wirelessly tether

I just got the Optimus from Cricket. I like the phone a lot but have not been successful in getting it to tether.

I have installed the "Quick Setting" app and it offers the option of turning on tethering and it appears to work BUT... It shows up in both my laptop and my Tablet's list of available hotspots and will connect but they fail to obtain a IP address.

Also, if I try to set the security to WPA2 SPK with a password I cannot save the settings, the SAVE button is greyed out.

I am not looking for heavy use as a hotspot, I would just like to occasionally use my Tablet to check e-mail, download a book or a market app. Do not want to use it for streaming or bittorrent download. If they watch my traffic it would be no more than what I would do from the phone, I just would rather use my tablet with doesn't have 3G or the ability to do USB tethering.

I would rather not root but will if that is the only way. Any suggestions?

Cen5

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Root is most likely the only solution in this case for free WiFi tethering.

Programs like PDAnet will probably give you tethering via USB and if lucky, through bluetooth. I think a rooting tutorial is needed...

You might want to try the z4root apk. I think I have it listed under a tutorial for rooting the Ascend here. It has had mixed results with the Optimus S and Optimus M it seems.

At worse case scenario it will only do temporary root or nothing at all. Try using it after a fresh reboot also.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 2.0%

z4root might get you temporary root, but it would be lost everytime you reboot. I really need to get my hands on one of these so I can experiment.

There are also programs like SuperOneClick that are probably worth trying. Someone please post up if you have already found a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Customer Since
    Apr 2007
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

No kidding. I really want to gain root on my phone. I might be able to convince my local Cricket dealer to help me out, but last time I spoke with them, they didn't even know how to root the phone completely yet. LG says they won't provide the factory ROM until Cricket requests it too (they're the only provider without any LG phones supported on LG's website). Cricket isn't even part of the
    Open Handset Alliance

yet either, which is just irritating.

I'm a Linux user, but Android is quite different in many ways. I'm still learning the API and stuff. I'm hoping to get to the point of making my own modified ROM, but seems kinda risky and I don't want to risk bricking my only phone since it's my main source of communication. Ugh... get on the ball already Cricket!!

To be fair though, I have been with Cricket for four years now and I wouldn't trade them for anything most likely. I have a LOT of patience with them because I absolutely do NOT want to sign a contract and be jerked around by the other carriers, not to mention having my minutes and usage monitored by them. These are my two favorite things about Cricket. Still... I would darn sure like to see more customer support for their hardware and providing things like USB drivers and ROMs for the Android phones. That extra $10 a month should warrant providing the more knowledgeable customers with the option to root their own phones (at our own risk of course :P).

EDIT: One step closer to rooting. I finally found the USB driver so I can actually connect my computer to my phone. I used the
    LG Mobile Support Tool

. Oddly, the Optimus C (model: LGLW690) is listed under the carrier "LEAP WIRELESS."

Last edited by phunky; 04-11-2011 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Discovered new information

Supporting Member

Can you use LGNPST with these phones? Not that it would give us root, but it would let us see all the settings available possibly.

Cricket is great if you can figure out things on your own. I know that's why this forum was created. If you don't have to deal with their customer service, you'll probably enjoy having them.

I have enough hook ups to where I never deal with them. The owner of this site is launching a program where account plan changes and general update of account information to include your caller id name on landlines is free to members. I think premium members will get unlimited esn changes for free and free add a lines.

Oh and it looks like people have had a harder time than on most phones getting and maintaining root with the Optimus.

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    LGLW690

You can root the Optimus C with Gingerbreak. Just did it to mine and it's working great. However, SetCPU will not go over the stock 600MHz, but atleast I can bring my low-end down for battery consumption.

Now all we need is a stock ROM and the fun can really start!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Wow this Gingerbreak seems amazing... Have you tried tethering yet?
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Supporting Member

I had my doubts when you first posted this, but look into it more. Good find man!

Cross posted it here: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-....html#post6635

Phone
    LGLW690

Tethering works using the "Wireless Tether for Root Users" app. after rooting.

260Kbps. But, Cricket has a 1GB limit before throttling back your bandwidth, so I'd only use it for emergencies.
    Last edited by dforthman; 04-25-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Customer Since
    Apr 2007
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

yeah no kidding. wtb ROM please!! I don't have a clue what I'm doing with all this stuff, but I want to learn hehe. I've gotten into the shell with the driver I got from LG, and I've got a fair amount of experience with Linux so Android isn't completely foreign to me, but the ROMs and stuff are >.<

I look forward to learning more. Anyway, hopefully this Gingerbreak will at least give me a good start for playing around with it and learning more.

Incidentally, even without an actual ROM you can still UN-Root your phone and reset it back to factory (Cricket) default right? At least I think you can do that with ADB right? I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to reboot the phone into recovery mode with the command "adb reboot recovery" via the console with usb debugging enabled in the phone settings and the appropriate usb driver installed.

EDIT: btw, more on topic, I found a nice little app that allows you to tether via usb without root. Although you need to install a coupling app on your PC too, but the Android app will handle that for you. It's called "EasyTether" enjoy
    Last edited by phunky; 04-26-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Supporting Member

You would have to use ADB command to reverse the process that it used to root your phone. I'm going to see if any unrooting instructions were posted up.

That adb command should boot you into the stock recovery. Seeing that the Optimus has been out for a while, I'd think that you could slap on Clockworkmod Recovery and boot to that. Another thing about flashing other ROMs that aren't Cricket is that you should still have talk, text, and Internet. You would probably just lose MMS. This is all in theory since I can't try it out myself...

Phone
    LGLW690

Quote Originally Posted by phunky View Post
    you can still UN-Root your phone and reset it back to factory (Cricket) default right? At least I think you can do that with ADB right? I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to reboot the phone into recovery mode with the command "adb reboot recovery" via the console with usb debugging enabled in the phone settings and the appropriate usb driver installed.
    I tried this, and it's still rooted. I also tried the key combo (Vol Down+Home+Power) and the same deal. Also, selecting "Restore Factory Defaults" from Settings->Privacy does the same thing. Seems all it does is undo your user settings. Even the system apps I've uninstalled remain uninstalled. This would mean that all system directories stay intact during the "restore". Until we can convince Cricket to release the stock ROM, anyway.

To un-root I'd assume you would just reverse the process of rooting.
    Last edited by dforthman; 04-26-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Phone
    LG Optimus C

Thumbs up Rooting the Optimus C

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidDude View Post
    z4root might get you temporary root, but it would be lost everytime you reboot. I really need to get my hands on one of these so I can experiment.

There are also programs like SuperOneClick that are probably worth trying. Someone please post up if you have already found a solution.

Thanks in advance.

I used Gingerbreakv1.2.apk and have no issues with it. It will install SuperUser on you phone and then all you have to do is install the app called Wireless Tether from the android market and grant it SuperUser permissions.

Thread Information