Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

Tutorial: How to Install CM7 on your LG Optimus C

So you want CM7 on your LG Optimus C right? It's risky you could brick your phone. Bricking means you won't be able to boot your phone back up. However if you're careful you'll be fine and move ahead. It's your phone, your liability.

CM7 stands for CyanogenMod. It's like an operating system for your phone. CM7's website shows a list of androids that support it. LG Optimus C isn't one of them. Someone has to put in extra work to make CM7 work for the LG Optimus C. Some features do not work fully for the Optimus C on CM7 right now. The CM7 is still in alpha testing for the LG Optimus C. Right now only the stock kernel is being worked on. Meaning you won't be able to overclock the phone until later in the testing. Custom kernels are what makes overclocking possible.

The basic steps to get CM7 on your Optimus C:

1. Root your phone
    2. Get recovery image on your phone
    3. BACK UP PHONE in the recovery
    4. Install newest build

Step 1: Root Optimus C

You need to root your phone to get greater access to your phone. If your phone is currently already rooted skip this step.
    The easiest way to root your phone that I've had is
    Gingersnap Root Utility (one-click ROOT!!!) Multi-Platform - Android Forums

. This is a really simple one click way to get your phone rooted. You'll need to register. The post says LG Optimus S. Don't Panic! It works for the Optimus C. Make sure to do all the instructions. Granted I used my older Windows XP computer. You'll have to comment if your computer's OS works.

After you do everything and you should be able to see this icon in your application's menu.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Dju3s6mBT7.../superuser.jpg

. Which means your phone is rooted.

Step 2: Get the Recovery Image on your Phone

What's an recovery image? It's basically the gateway between the different Operating Systems in a practical sense. You need the recovery image to install new builds on cm7 and in my opinion more importantly to back up your current default OS. If anything goes wrong installing cm7 you'll be able to start up the recovery and recover your back-up and it'll load back to your old operating system.

To get CM7 you will need the Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM). You can find CWM on
    CM74OC - Playfuldroidz Wiki

. NOT ROM Manager NOT Xiona.

i) Install that file on your sdcard. Just on your sdcard and not in any folders.

ii) Now to install the recovery you can do it one of two ways. Either you can get Terminal Emulator from Android Market. And type in these commands in Terminal Emulator:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
    chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

OR

You can do what I did and buy FLASH IMAGE GUI from Android Market. It cost a dollar. And then run it and select Recovery Image on the radial menu and click the browse button and find the recovery image file you put on your sdcard. Then click "Flash Image."

Both ways should get you your recovery software installed. To see if you have the recovery software installed: Turn off phone, hold down the power button + volume down + home button. Hold for a few seconds until the recovery shows up. If your screen looks like the following link then you've successfully installed the CWM recovery image.
    http://www.villainrom.co.uk/SGS2/pics/device.png

To move around in the recovery. Volume up is up, Volume down is down, camera button is forward, power button is back.

Step 3: BACKUP PHONE

It's in caps for a reason. You need to back up your current OS so if you mess up you can always boot back to your backup in CWM recovery. Mistakes happen!!

To back up your phone do the following. Boot up CWM recovery then click "backup and restore" then click Backup . Once it successfully backups you're good! Hopefully. You will figure out that the backup is installed on your sdcard. It's good practice to make your own backup of the backup folder and files on another hard-drive just in case your sdcard messes up. Knock on wood! :P

You don't need to backup your phone all the time going from one operating system to the other. However it's good practice getting used to it. Definitely the first time.

Step 4: Install the Newest Build

To get the most current build go to:

Put the zip file on your sdcard. Put it on the actual sdcard and not in any folders. Do not extract.

Then do the following:
    1) start up CWM recovery.
    2) click "wipe data/factory reset"
    3) click "wipe cache partition"
    4) click advanced
    5) click "Wipe Dalvik cache"
    6) press back
    7) click "install zip from sdcard" > choose zip from sdcard
    8) locate the build zip file on your sdcard and click it. Wait until it's finished.
    9) then go back until you see "reboot system now" and click

If you did all the steps right you'll have CM7! Good luck!!

Last edited by papasmurf520; 11-29-2011 at 11:23 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Verified Developer

nice tut, added to my wiki and gave you full credit of course

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

I think this be sticky worthy.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Wow Man. thanks A ton. I really needed this. It took sometime to get everything right but it was pretty easy Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by R3n390 View Post
    Wow Man. thanks A ton. I really needed this. It took sometime to get everything right but it was pretty easy Thanks a lot.
    you're welcome!

So I have a few concerns - 1, it doesn't seem to run much better by default (IMO).
    2. It has no android market anymore.
    3. It has no speech to text microphone option anymore.
    4. The keyboard sucks compared to the stock one I had with swipe.
    5. How do I restore the backup I took properly. I appreciate the hard work and all, but without the above stuff working right, its useless for me. Maybe you guys know something I don't though

EDIT ** I figured out eh restore - that was simpler than I expected. Its running now.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by cwatson9631 View Post
    So I have a few concerns - 1, it doesn't seem to run much better by default (IMO).
    2. It has no android market anymore.
    3. It has no speech to text microphone option anymore.
    4. The keyboard sucks compared to the stock one I had with swipe.
    5. How do I restore the backup I took properly. I appreciate the hard work and all, but without the above stuff working right, its useless for me. Maybe you guys know something I don't though

EDIT ** I figured out eh restore - that was simpler than I expected. Its running now.
    Glad you figured it out.
    Keep in mind this CM7 thing for the LG is a work in progress. No one has achieved perfection yet.
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Ok, so basically its more of an Alpha or Beta. I can deal with that. It does need the droid market and the speech to text thing before I start running with it, but its certainly very clean and I kind of like that. Was this 2.3 ginger?
    Thanks for getting back to me too BTW

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

The market can be installed using the gapps zip file thats out there. In fact, I think its on PlayfulGod's wiki. I believe that does the voice bit as well. Look here

Verified Developer

Ok, so basically its more of an Alpha or Beta. I can deal with that. It does need the droid market and the speech to text thing before I start running with it, but its certainly very clean and I kind of like that. Was this 2.3 ginger?
    Thanks for getting back to me too BTW
    more a Beta, my A2 port is a alpha lol

So I have a few concerns - 1, it doesn't seem to run much better by default (IMO). - maybe so, I thought the stock ran real good compared to most stock ROMs I've seen
    2. It has no android market anymore. - install gapps.
    3. It has no speech to text microphone option anymore. - installed thru gapps or from the market.
    4. The keyboard sucks compared to the stock one I had with swipe. can be gotten from the market, but I will look into adding it

PG^

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    The market can be installed using the gapps zip file thats out there. In fact, I think its on PlayfulGod's wiki. I believe that does the voice bit as well. Look here

Yea and I change back to the 0613 gapps as the newer ones seem to be causing the market, sync, and space error issues.

Angry Bricked My Phone????

I did everything that you stated in the tutorial.

Downloaded the recovery.img and placed it on my sdcard (not in folder)
    installed Flash Image GUI and followed your instructions.
    Turned off the phone.
    Turned on the phone holding the home + volume down + power buttons.

My phone stays on the LG boot screen... WTF? even on normal boot, it wont pass the boot screen. ???

ANYONE Have any Ideas? Can I do something or am I f***ed!

Quote Originally Posted by dlopes381 View Post
    I did everything that you stated in the tutorial.

Downloaded the recovery.img and placed it on my sdcard (not in folder)
    installed Flash Image GUI and followed your instructions.
    Turned off the phone.
    Turned on the phone holding the home + volume down + power buttons.

My phone stays on the LG boot screen... WTF? even on normal boot, it wont pass the boot screen. ???

ANYONE Have any Ideas? Can I do something or am I f***ed!
    when you selected the radial menu on flash image gui what option did you select? Did you select kernel image or recovery image?

When you do home + volume down + power **EDIT** There should just be the all LG white logo for a couple seconds. then it should go right to the recovery menu.
    Last edited by papasmurf520; 09-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf520 View Post
    when you selected the radial menu on flash image gui what option did you select? Did you select kernel image or recovery image?

When you do home + volume down + power there shouldnt be a lg logo shown up. it should go right to the recovery menu.

Also if you managed to successfully get CWM on your phone. And you backuped your phone on CWM and you still have the backup files somewhere there's always a way back to your old phone.

Ok... I have decided to go ahead and take the leap and try out the CM7....

Having a small problem... can't seem to get ADB to see that my device is connected to my system... went for the terminal and getting an error from the 'mount' command...

When I use
    mount -o remount, rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock5 /system
    I am seeing the 'mount' usage syntax. Is there something wrong with the syntax in this tut?

I am sure that I have typed it correctly in the terminal window, and still yet I am seeing this. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by gryghost99 View Post
    Ok... I have decided to go ahead and take the leap and try out the CM7....

Having a small problem... can't seem to get ADB to see that my device is connected to my system... went for the terminal and getting an error from the 'mount' command...

When I use I am seeing the 'mount' usage syntax. Is there something wrong with the syntax in this tut?

I am sure that I have typed it correctly in the terminal window, and still yet I am seeing this. Any ideas?
    Yeah that code is probably outdated. I'd really would recommend using Flash Image GUI it's way easier. That's what I did. I'm going to cut out that manual code pretty soon. Unless someone has manual commands that work?

**EDIT** the code was edited and fixed.
    Last edited by papasmurf520; 09-17-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: changed "remount, rw" to remount "remount,rw"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information