Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Will rooting and a custom ROM stop the random reboots?

I've had the LG Optimus C since March of last year and I could say the phone is good if it wasn't for the constant random reboots. It's happened during pretty much everything, from surfing the web, to making calls and texting, sometimes even unlocking the screen will yield the sudden freeze and reboot. It's happened when I'm in the middle of calls, responding a text, checking my email, going into the phone's settings, and, as I said before, unlocking the screen to start using the phone.

I waited to see if a software update would fix the problem, but not only did Cricket and LG neglect to send a much needed update, the phone has now been "retired" from the market.

So my question is, will rooting it and using a custom room fix the random reboots? I can't do much with the phone as it is and I'm trying to see if Cricket will give me a credit for a different phone since this one has been discontinued, but if they just offer me a refurbished version of the same make and model I would like to know if it can be fixed or used for target practice. I never took it to the store because I noticed pretty much everybody who's ever had this phone had the same issues and even their new replacement came with the same problems.

I've been really close to throwing it to the ground and stepping on it many times, so I would like to know if it's OK to smash it to pieces next time it does this, or if a different ROM would make it usable.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Rooting and loading a custom rom might fix the problem not sure if its the Original ROM that is causing it or faulty hardware. I have this same phone and have only had random reboots when I get impatient and start hitting the home button a bunch of times. I'm running CM7 but had the original ROM on the phone for about two months and never had it random reboot on me, but I say if your about to smash it anyway might as well try out Custom ROM.

Phone
    HOV

I was also getting random FC's and reboots. Try a new SD card, not a cheap class 2 or 4. Instead go to a class 10. You can get them cheap on sale, I got mine for 24 bucks plus tax and it's 8gigs and class 10. It seems the one that came with the phone is a class 2 and was pitching errors all the time. This is a cheap fix and no bricked phone by having a bad flash! Best wishes and good luck!

Thanks for your answers guys.

@godzilla61 I bought a new SD card just to try and it's too bad I didn't get your answer earlier today because I ended up getting a class 4, it was cheap and I just thought on testing if the old one was the problem. I can't return this one because of the packaging, but I'll try to get or borrow a higher class card to see if it makes a difference.

Also, I rooted the phone, I haven't tried a different ROM yet, just uninstalled some of the unwanted apps (like photobucket), and that's what I'm still doing right now, getting rid of the bloatware.

I hope at the very least it minimizes the random reboots until I have the money to get a new phone.

On a boot make sure the sd card is properly insterted put the case on and hit the phone (not to hard) in the area where the sd card is. if it removes while your back is still on its probally the sd card the prongs that read th card are pushed down to low. take action and softly life the prongs upwards

Overall activity: 9.0%

I agree, I think its a hardware problem, because with stock rom I never got a random reboots... With CM7 I have problems only with GTA III and FPSe and its because the CPU overclocking.
    From my LG Optimus C with CM7

Thread Information