Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Overall activity: 11.0%

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

I wonder if this lawyer has ever won a case or if he just one of those prepaid lawyers cause he is a complete moron.... If went to first year of law school would know this site falls under fair use...

He has no case...... You have no cricket logo.... sorry but cant copyright/trademark a color...... so who cares if site is green woohoo....

If couldnt use a companies name then lets see PaypalSucks.com would have been shut down years ago but its been up for atleast 8 years..... Then got the many Microsoft and Windows hate sites, sprint hate sites, AT&T hate sites and pretty much any major companies hate site...

This is just to try to scare you to shut down..

I would personally just reply with: "kiss my a$$"

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

SIGNED...Face book and twitter are powerful tools!!

---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-06-2012 at 11:42 PM ----------

SIGNED..I read/saw somewhere that copper is one element that is more in abundance unmined than in service; (oxidized copper does have a greenish sheen; not unlike the greens seen on this website) ...so why the increased thefts and price hikes???
    Last edited by Sport; 03-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

"The second reason is that my mother who has supported me through my divorce both emotionally and monetarily has been diagnosed with cancer. It is my strong belief that she will make it out unscathed (minus the temporary loss of hair due to treatment). Any move I do make will have many consequences. Just need to think out my next step.

Sorry if this has turned into a mindless rambling. I feel like someone has scrambled my brain."[/QUOTE]

Wow....that's a lot of stuff to deal with. I left my company of ten years back in California to move back to Albuquerque to be with my mom who had breast cancer. She died a few weeks ago, but I was able to spend a lot of time with her while she was with us. She led me to believe she was going to be fine and was on the road to recovery. But as if out of no where she was gone. I thank God that I was able to spend such good time with her. I say all that to say that whatever decision you end up making I'll be praying for you as this kind of thing that life throws at us isn't easy to deal with.
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 03-07-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Customer Since
    notanymor
    Phone
    T-Mobile GS5

and this?

Chris - might want to do something with this at the bottom of the page too?

And this in the forums page....

Cricket Wireless Dealer Forum

This forum is for verified dealers only. If you own or work at a Cricket store, please use our
    contact form

to gain access.

Read more: http://www.cricketusers.com/forum.php#ixzz1oPA44bm6

Just thinking about might want a small possible language change like.... "cricket Wireless" to just Cricket

And this on the forums page

Last edited by Pestelence; 03-06-2012 at 11:30 PM. Reason: found more

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I'll get on those tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	1893

Like they say... Bad publicity is still publicity. Highest traffic days ever.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Hey, I got the email about this issue, sent a reply to the Webmaster email addy. I think it's important to know that you're legally allowed to use their trademark when it's describing them. There were several court cases sited and info about it.

"It is often virtually impossible to refer to a particular product for purposes of comparison, criticism, point of reference or any other such purpose without using the mark. For example, reference to a large automobile manufacturer based in Michigan would not differentiate among the Big Three; reference to a large Japanese manufacturer of home electronics would narrow the field to a dozen or more companies. Much useful social and commercial discourse would be all but impossible if speakers were under threat of an infringement lawsuit every time they made reference to a person, company or product by using its trademark."

i.e. Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft v. Church, 411 F.2d 350 (9th Cir.1969), where we held that Volkswagen could not prevent an automobile repair shop from using its mark. We recognized that in "advertising [the repair of Volkswagens, it] would be difficult, if not impossible, for [Church] to avoid altogether the use of the word 'Volkswagen' or its abbreviation 'VW,' which are the normal terms which, to the public at large, signify appellant's cars." Id. at 352. Church did not suggest to customers that he was part of the Volkswagen organization or that his repair shop was sponsored or authorized by VW; he merely used the words "Volkswagen" and "VW" to convey information about the types of cars he repaired. Therefore, his use of the Volkswagen trademark was not an infringing use.

In other words, since your site uses their trademark to reference their products, you have every right to do so.

Sign'd

Can't believe that Cricket would pull something like this. Sounds like a losing battle to me.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

If you must change again I suggest dropping the Cricket angle and opening it up to the entire industry.. Of course keep the Cricket section alive, but add sections for other companies, phones, and related technology.

Not only would this drive more traffic, it would keep the legal teams off your back and you would maintain much of the core traffic you already have.

It would require a lot more work, more moderators, more bandwith, etc.

But at this point it is much better than closing up shop, too many people have poured too much into this forum to close it, and you have a huge stake in it. I'm not sure if you get a lot of revenue, but I think you probably get a couple extra dollars, or the chance of getting cheap phones to play with.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by Nabby View Post
    Hey, I got the email about this issue, sent a reply to the Webmaster email addy. I think it's important to know that you're legally allowed to use their trademark when it's describing them. There were several court cases sited and info about it.

"It is often virtually impossible to refer to a particular product for purposes of comparison, criticism, point of reference or any other such purpose without using the mark. For example, reference to a large automobile manufacturer based in Michigan would not differentiate among the Big Three; reference to a large Japanese manufacturer of home electronics would narrow the field to a dozen or more companies. Much useful social and commercial discourse would be all but impossible if speakers were under threat of an infringement lawsuit every time they made reference to a person, company or product by using its trademark."

i.e. Volkswagenwerk Aktiengesellschaft v. Church, 411 F.2d 350 (9th Cir.1969), where we held that Volkswagen could not prevent an automobile repair shop from using its mark. We recognized that in "advertising [the repair of Volkswagens, it] would be difficult, if not impossible, for [Church] to avoid altogether the use of the word 'Volkswagen' or its abbreviation 'VW,' which are the normal terms which, to the public at large, signify appellant's cars." Id. at 352. Church did not suggest to customers that he was part of the Volkswagen organization or that his repair shop was sponsored or authorized by VW; he merely used the words "Volkswagen" and "VW" to convey information about the types of cars he repaired. Therefore, his use of the Volkswagen trademark was not an infringing use.

In other words, since your site uses their trademark to reference their products, you have every right to do so.
    That's very incouraging to know, but the practicallity of it all is a rather dim due to the big money and big lawyers aspect. When I first started my business I was sued with in the 4 month of starting it and after a year of Lawyers and fees I had given up on the whole thing. My lawyer contacted me and said the the people suing me ran out of money and wanted to settle the case. Another way to put it was they had to drop the case because they had no case, but it really hurt my business and they just opened up a location of their business in my area to try to close me down. Thank God, they closed up and we had 10 yrs there. It was a very stressful thing to go through and unless we have some pro bono lawyers on here that are willing to work for free while the site continues, this could be a tough thing. Again, I know I'm just a newbie to this site, but this place is great and don't want it to go away. Hoping and praying this can get worked out for the better. Peace

Gold Member
    Overall activity: 99.9%

There is free speech and fair use and the lawyers recognize those things. This is a standard legal effort to eliminate any misuse, fraudulent use, etc... of cricket's name and business. Cricket probably doesnt want this site to give the "appearance" that it is affiliated with cricket for those reasons. Since 99% of cricketusers.com talk about phones related to cricket it can be construed that it looks too much like a cricket site. So, as others have suggested, there needs to be some direct/indirect references to cricket removed or changed. The green color, no matter what RGB, makes it look like cricket to the average person. References to "cricket dealers" makes the site seem cricket related. Meta tags diverting traffic away from cricket are not good. These are example of things that cricket lawyers may claim "cause harm" in a generic sense. What doesnt cause harm is any postings/converstion about cricket due to free speech. Setting a forum up based on android and cricket phones is also protected under free speech/fair use. The fact this site doesnt cause cricket to lose phone or plan sales, causes no harm. This site doesnt slander or tarnish cricket's name or buisness, causes no harm.

That leaves the url cricketusers.com issue. I think a conversation with cricket just might convince them to support this site or to see it actually help them. Their "warning letters" do not give them final judgement on the matter. Thats why i recommend letting a lawyer talk with their lawyer. There is room for negotiation and agreement. Cricket knows this site does not have deep pocket money nor is it "harmful" so they are not going to spend time suing. They may serve papers, have hearings and all but not actually sue just to scare people into mediating to their liking. Also, a lawyer writing a nice letter to their CEO and public relations office explaining the issue and this sites desire to work with cricket and continue supporting their cause ....might give them good press (hint, hint cricket).

...imo.

P.S. does the military give you free legal counsel for personal matters?

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by 154-4bdu114h View Post
    If you must change again I suggest dropping the Cricket angle and opening it up to the entire industry.. Of course keep the Cricket section alive, but add sections for other companies, phones, and related technology.

Not only would this drive more traffic, it would keep the legal teams off your back and you would maintain much of the core traffic you already have.

It would require a lot more work, more moderators, more bandwith, etc.

But at this point it is much better than closing up shop, too many people have poured too much into this forum to close it, and you have a huge stake in it. I'm not sure if you get a lot of revenue, but I think you probably get a couple extra dollars, or the chance of getting cheap phones to play with.
    howardforums.com anyone? I respectfully disagree. A Cricket specific forum is needed. I think it's all just scare tactics, hoping we will fold up and go away.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    howardforums.com anyone? I respectfully disagree. A Cricket specific forum is needed. I think it's all just scare tactics, hoping we will fold up and go away.
    I get your point, those type of forums are a dime a dozen, but if it comes down to it it'll be better than closing up.

In all honestly I have gotten better information here than anywhere else, even if said information didn't always originate here.

If it came down to it I would suggest keeping the entire cricket section alive, and just adding others on to appease the lawyers.

Overall activity: 4.0%

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

I don't think they would have a case against you. If they send you another DMCA notice, take it to a lawyer. A lot of big corporations think they can shut sites down just by scaring them. DON'T let them boss you around like that, you've done nothing against the law.

This is anti-competitive behavior at its' finest. GG, Cricket legal team -,-

Phone
    Samsung Indulge

I'd remove the "free ESN changes/add a lines" for supporting members. I can see how that would get on their bad side since you are making money even though you don't have a contract with cricket. I could also see dealers taking offense to that since you are taking those potential fees and activations out of their pockets.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post
    Yep...

Quote Originally Posted by 154-4bdu114h View Post
    I get your point, those type of forums are a dime a dozen, but if it comes down to it it'll be better than closing up.

In all honestly I have gotten better information here than anywhere else, even if said information didn't always originate here.

If it came down to it I would suggest keeping the entire cricket section alive, and just adding others on to appease the lawyers.
    I understand. If I had other carriers like MetroPCS here it might be feasible. Right now there would be empty forums and then just a wealth of Cricket knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby9058 View Post
    I don't think they would have a case against you. If they send you another DMCA notice, take it to a lawyer. A lot of big corporations think they can shut sites down just by scaring them. DON'T let them boss you around like that, you've done nothing against the law.

This is anti-competitive behavior at its' finest. GG, Cricket legal team -,-
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieKDealer View Post
    I'd remove the "free ESN changes/add a lines" for supporting members. I can see how that would get on their bad side since you are making money even though you don't have a contract with cricket. I could also see dealers taking offense to that since you are taking those potential fees and activations out of their pockets.
    Not quite because there are some dealers behind the scenes. I understand though.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

I'm sorry if I don't personally reply to everyone's post. I'm kinda skimming as there are a few things I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by wrhsonwheels View Post

Wow....that's a lot of stuff to deal with. I left my company of ten years back in California to move back to Albuquerque to be with my mom who had breast cancer. She died a few weeks ago, but I was able to spend a lot of time with her while she was with us. She led me to believe she was going to be fine and was on the road to recovery. But as if out of no where she was gone. I thank God that I was able to spend such good time with her. I say all that to say that whatever decision you end up making I'll be praying for you as this kind of thing that life throws at us isn't easy to deal with.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post
    There is free speech and fair use and the lawyers recognize those things. This is a standard legal effort to eliminate any misuse, fraudulent use, etc... of cricket's name and business. Cricket probably doesnt want this site to give the "appearance" that it is affiliated with cricket for those reasons. Since 99% of cricketusers.com talk about phones related to cricket it can be construed that it looks too much like a cricket site. So, as others have suggested, there needs to be some direct/indirect references to cricket removed or changed. The green color, no matter what RGB, makes it look like cricket to the average person. References to "cricket dealers" makes the site seem cricket related. Meta tags diverting traffic away from cricket are not good. These are example of things that cricket lawyers may claim "cause harm" in a generic sense. What doesnt cause harm is any postings/converstion about cricket due to free speech. Setting a forum up based on android and cricket phones is also protected under free speech/fair use. The fact this site doesnt cause cricket to lose phone or plan sales, causes no harm. This site doesnt slander or tarnish cricket's name or buisness, causes no harm.

That leaves the url cricketusers.com issue. I think a conversation with cricket just might convince them to support this site or to see it actually help them. Their "warning letters" do not give them final judgement on the matter. Thats why i recommend letting a lawyer talk with their lawyer. There is room for negotiation and agreement. Cricket knows this site does not have deep pocket money nor is it "harmful" so they are not going to spend time suing. They may serve papers, have hearings and all but not actually sue just to scare people into mediating to their liking. Also, a lawyer writing a nice letter to their CEO and public relations office explaining the issue and this sites desire to work with cricket and continue supporting their cause ....might give them good press (hint, hint cricket).

...imo.

No they don't. They actually don't get involved in as many matters as one might think. Even when it comes to spousal problems and divorce.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

I'm sorry if I don't personally reply to everyone's post. I'm kinda skimming as there are a few things I have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by wrhsonwheels View Post

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldman View Post

...imo.

No they don't. They actually don't get involved in as many matters as one might think. Even when it comes to spousal problems and divorce.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information