Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Jumpmaster
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Flash Verizon Samsung Fascinate to Cricket (Talk, Text, Internet, MMS)

This is going to be similar to our Epic tutorial, but the Fascinate is a little bit more complicated because it wants to revert data settings back to Verizon.

Chances are this tutorial will be different from anything you've seen. We had results using NV items and QPST 2.7 build 355 only. The other tutorials will suggest that you use two version of QPST to get the data settings to stick.

Let it be known that sometimes Cricket says they have put you on the $55 Android plan, but they put you on the All in 55 Plan (5m5). This is not where you want to be. You're paying 10 more bucks a month for absolutely nothing over the 45 dollar plan.

We offer plan change for free to forum members. Just use the contact us link at the very bottom of this page. Premier Supporters of the forum receive additional benefits such as free ESN changes on your account. No more paying $15 everytime you change phones. To become a Premier/Supporting Member, just go to the settings up top and find Paid Subscriptions on the left hand side. Choose a membership level of your liking. Also use the contact us form for any modifications you need made to your account or additional help.

On to the tutorial.

--Start--

Required

A. QPST ( QPST Version 2.7 Build 355)
    B. Samsung drivers for the Fascinate (
    Samsung

)

C A Windows PC with either Win7, XP or Vista
    D. PRL (http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing...rl-thread.html)
    E. CDMA workshop (google) OR CDMA Workshop 2.7 Download) to get the MSL (aka SPC) if you don't know it already. Alternative would be MSL reader from the Market or attached below.
    F. QPST (http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing...highlight=qpst)

First if the phone is stuck in the activation screen do the following to bypass it:

1. Press Emergency Call
    2. In the dialer, dial:
    3. Then hit send.
    4. Then hit the Home key. Done with that.

Then, install the drivers on your computer.

Turn on USB debugging mode, stay awake while plugged in, allow mock locations (settings > applications > development).

Enable dial up (USB tethering). Should be under settings > wireless and network. The actual name might have changed with the Froyo update.

Now plug the phone in.

ALTERNATE METHOD

Get anycut and make a shortcut to the activity PhoneUtil. Launch PhoneUtil from the shortcut on your home screen and put USB in modem mode. Remember once you are done with everything to put it back into PDA mode.

---Getting started and setting up QPST---

Full QPST tutorial with pictures are here:

http://www.cricketusers.com/flashing...s-cricket.html

1. Open up QPST > "QPST Configuration". Click on the "Add new port" on the bottom right. Uncheck mark the "Show serial and USB ports only". In the box above it, you should see your phone connected and the corresponding COM port. Select it and the "Port" and "Port label" will autofill. Hit "Ok". Check the COM ports in your device manager if you can't figure out what port it's on.

2. Open up QPST > Service programming. Select your phone in the "Select an active phone" box.
    Click on "Read from phone" and enter your SPC when prompted (which is 000000).

---For talk/text---
    1. You will first write a new prl to your phone. Our link from earlier should containt the most up to date PRL.
    2. Click on the "Roam tab at the top.
    3. Click on the "browse" button under "Preferred roaming" and locate the prl file you wish to write.
    4. Click on "Write to phone".
    5. Let QPST do it's thing and voila, your new PRL will be written to your phone.

---For internet---
    1. Click the "M.IP" tab (may be "M.IPv6") and set "Mobile IP Behavior" as "MOB + Simp".
    Select any profiles listed under "user profiles" and click edit. Do the following for all profiles:
    Make sure that "profile enabled" is checked and enter in the following:
    NAI: your10digitcricketnumber@mycricket.com
    Tethered NAI: your10digitcricketnumber@mycricket.com
    2. Change "home address", "primary ha", and "secondary HA" to all zeros.
    3. On both "HA Shared" and "AAA Shared Secret, select the "enter text string" and type in the following password (all lower case): "cricket".
    4. Click "Ok".
    5. Set active user as "0".
    6. Click "PPP Config".
    7. Click the "Um" Button.
    8. Under user ID enter: your10digitcricketnumber@mycricket.com as well as for tethered NAI. If a text box is black with red lines in it, click it and press ctrl + D. Enter "cricket" in the password box.
    9.Click the "AN" Button and repeat the last step.
    10. Click "write to phone"...After that, you should now have the 3g icon on your phone.

Once it reboots you will need to get into CDMA Workshop. Note that both QPST and CDMA Workshop can't work at the same time.

For CDMA Workshop to access your phone, it must be able to support that COM port number. This just means that it can't be too high. You'll see what I mean when you enter CDMA Workshop.

Select the port that your Fascinate is on and then hit connect.

Go to the security tab and under SPC, enter 000000, hit the SPC button and then SEND it to the phone. This will unlock the phone.

Go to
    Android - whiterabbit.org

. Enter your phone number @mycricket.com and generate it for the version of CDMA Workshop you have. Download it to a place where you can find it.

In CDMA Workshop go to the memory tab and hit write under NV items. Find the file you just download and send that. It's going to give you a warning that you need to send the SPC first, but you just did that. Shut the program down and allow it to reset the phone.

Now don't go back into QPST and write anything because it'll revert the data settings back to Verizon. If you have to make a modification to a PRL or anything at a later time, you will need to send the NV items again.

If you are on the 55 dollar Android plan, then your data should work at this point. Reboot the phone if necessary. If you would like to use the 45 dollar plan, please read on.

You will need root access to perform the first method.

If you are on build ED01 Froyo please visit this thread:

http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon-...ascinate/6525-[how-]-root-ed01-froyo-fascinate.html

If you are on Eclair, please visit this thread:

http://www.cricketusers.com/verizon-...air-froyo.html

First $45 Plan Method

You must be rooted in order to do this. The easiest method is z4root which is attached. Just install it and run it. If it freezes for a long time, reboot and then run it immediately after the system stabilizes.

Get Autostart.sh & U2nl from
    whiterabbit.org

(thanks to whiterabbit). Save autostart.sh and U2nl in C:\android\tools\.

Before starting the next step make sure you have the u2nl file in your this folder c:\android\tools and also that you have you autostart.sh file in this folder c:\android\tools
    Now go to command prompt and type the following commands,

cd c:\android\tools <enter>
    adb shell <enter>
    mkdir /data/opt/ <enter>
    exit <enter>
    adb remount <enter>
    adb push c:\android\tools\u2nl /system/bin/u2nl <enter>
    adb push c:\android\tools\autostart.sh /data/opt/autostart.sh <enter>
    Now:
    adb shell <enter>
    chmod 0755 /system/bin/u2nl <enter>
    chmod 0755 /data/opt/autostart.sh <enter>
    exit <enter>
    adb reboot <enter>

Install Autostart from the Market or download it form the bottom of this post and install it. Reboot the phone (sometimes it will take more than 1 reboot) and give the Superuser Permission box a few seconds to pop up. Autostart will be looking for permission. Grant it.

If you have problems doing this from the command prompt, you can move these files with something like Root Explorer. Just place the files on your SDCard.

Your Internet should work now.

Second $45 Plan Method (unverified)

Get anycut.apk at the bottom of this post. Install it and you will make a shortcut to an activity. You're looking for "proxy". When you select it from the list, it will make a shortcut on your homescreen. Click it and enter wap.mycricket.com port 8080.

Your Internet should work now.

MMS

You will need APN Backup and Restore from the Market. We'll also include this on the bottom of the thread.

Copy the APN data below and place it in a text file. You will need to modify the phone number and put yours in it. Use notepad. Save this file onto your phone's SDCard under a folder called "apnbackuprestore".

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <apns count="1">
    <apn name="CDMA-MMS" numeric="310012" mcc="310" mnc="012" apn="mms" user="YOURPHONENUMBER@mycricket.com" server="wap.mycricket.com" password="cricket" proxy="" port="" mmsproxy="" mmsport="8080" mmsprotocol="null" mmsc="http://mms.mycricket.com/mycricket/mms" type="mms" />
    </apns>

Open up APN Backup and Restore on your phone. Note that the SDCard has to be mounted so unplug it from your computer.

We deleted all the APNs and then went to restore APNs. Select the file you just placed there.

We fixed our MMS and have updated this thread. We used the attached MMS.apk. Place this in /system/app. A good way to do this is with the program RootExplorer. It's available in the Market. Rename the old mms.apk > mms.apk.bak. Copy and paste the new MMS.apk from your SDCard and place it here.

Everything worked with the $55, but you can try your hand with the $45 if you want. Please post results.

--end--

UPDATE (6/19/2011): We used this ROM and this Kernel for the best performance. Flashing instructions and

ROM:
    [ROM][ED01][5/25/11] Evil Fascination v3.6.0 - xda-developers

KERNEL
    [KERNEL][TouchWiz][6.05.11] OTB-Reloaded Kernel - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

MMSPackZip: These are working files from our Fascinate on the Android plan. Modify the APN with your phone number where it says XXXXXXXXXX.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 10-08-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: MMS change, update links and video
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

2. Remove this advertisement.

Phone
    HTC EVO

Here's my problem fellas. My girl went (I not knowing!) to get her samsung flashed at a cricket store. I found out and went with her to pick it up and they said that it was fully flashed and that she needed to be on the 55 android plan. I told them that shed upgrade to it when she needed it, so shes still on the 45. The phone does everything (talk/text/mms) but no internet. I followed the instructions above for the 45 plan, but still no luck. any suggestons?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I Have No 3g Icon.

please help me.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by myycoleee View Post
    please help me.
    Did you send the NV items over with CDMA ws after writing the settings in QPST? Also what PRL were you using?
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    HTC EVO

I finally got the MSL with the ADB command! Now that I'm in the phone, I'm following the tut and now for some reason my values aren't saving in the PPP Config tab. User ID keps switching back to VZW. Any Ideas?

Wait a minute.... Should have read further.... Will report back in a few...

Okay, I read further and followed the instructions to the end of the post... Still no luck. It sucks because I have everything else working great. I've even flashed my EVO with everything blazing. I don't know what to do about this samsung, maybe its time to move on.

I found a Flashtotalkfascinate.xml in my APNBackRestore folder on my SDcard. Do you think that may be part of my internet issue?

Performed an APN restore with the provided XML and still no web. Nobody has posted if the phone will work on the 45 plan. Maybe it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Ricky Dash; 06-22-2011 at 01:59 AM.

I've tried with the 45$ plan and it does not work. I'm very curious as to why it does not. I noticed something in the logcat: D/Netutils(2749): failed to add 172.29.***.162 as default route for ppp0: File Exists Not sure if that is important. Kinda makes me think there's some kind of root/permissions issue here.

I went ahead and upgraded to the 55$ plan because thats the only one that will work (suckx) but I wanted to note that the MMS APN information listed above did NOT work on my mobile phone. This will, however:

Code:
    <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
    <apns count="1">
      <apn name="Cricket" numeric="310012" mcc="310" mnc="012"  apn="internet" user="XXXXXXXXXX@mycricket.com " server="*"  password="cricket" proxy="null" port="null" mmsproxy="null"  mmsport="8080" mmsprotocol="null"  mmsc="http://mms.mycricket.com/servlets/mms?x-cricket-mdn=XXX_XXX_XXXX"  type="null" />
    </apns>
    Your replace the X's with your telephone number, of course. Mind the underscores in the second part because they are needed. I take no credit for this information, got it from:
    Flashing Samsung Fascinate To Cricket!!!!

Last edited by unicromium; 07-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Those are the first ones I tried and couldn't get them to work. I have some other APNs contained in that MMS pack I believe...

I think those are the ones that are listed at the bottom of the first thread. Thanks for posting and verifying though.

What ROM are you running?

I'm running the Evilwhatever ROM using the directions in the thread. I think I jumped the gun a bit. The first MMS picture sent perfectly, but now nothing works again. I can send other mms types such as voice, etc but not the ever so important picture messages. So frustrating. I can receive pictures though with no problems. It's like it wants to work only when it wants to.

daryoon

Thanks so much. Got my Fascinate onto Cricket's $45 plan for my friend successfully.

Seems like Steps A and F in the tutorial are duplicates of each other.

My 3G Internet inbound and outbound works good. About ~660kbps down and ~300kbps up according to Speedtest app.

SMS outbound and inbound works great. Even to another network like AT&T.

Now, here's the only issue I have. MMS outbound works great. However, I can not seem to receive MMS sent to me. I have an AT&T phone that I send the MMS photo to my Cricket flash Fascinate. But nothing ever comes through.

I tried many different APNs, including the one in the OP. Made sure to edit to include my phonenumber@mycricket.com, so that's not the issue there.

I replaced the mms.apk, but I am not clear on what this step does. What is so special about the mms.apk included in the instructions? Is there any link I can read up on how to edit the mms.apk myself. Because ultimately, I would like to move to another custom ROM. And I assume I would have to edit the mms.apk included with that custom ROM as well?

Thanks for any insight. Awesome forum! I hope to contribute with some tutorials of my own once I get things squared away.

step 1!

wow this is the most difficult fone i've tried to flash.. i cant even get it to hook up to qpst. ive followed the directions from here and another forum and i'm just now able to get it to even show a port in qpst(after 3 hours) but doesnt ctually recognize the fone. when i turn usb tethering on the port wont even show up in qpst and it does nothing if i connect to port then turn on usb tethering. i've flashed a few different brands of fone and this thing is very stubborn any help would be MUCH appreciated.

EDIT: ok so after some more searching i found out that if you dial **33284 and input 000000 scroll down to dial up>on then i was able to see the phone in qpst,, so i finally have a fully flashed fascinate. also when you are done with flashing you must **33284 and turn dial up off so that your fone will resume any kind of data services.
    Last edited by zyrtek69; 07-24-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Okay, so I have Voice, text, data (kinda, only 1X, but that could be the plan), and incoming MMS, but no outgoing MMS. It just won't send MMS at all. Any suggestions?

i have talk and text on the samsung fascinate but i can not get anything else to work???(web,mms, 3g) i tried these steps over and over with no luck...im using 01042 prl... i dont know what im doing wrong but can someone please help.. im on the 55$ android plan

Phone
    HTC EVO

Sean8172 were you able to get on the web?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information