Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Supporting Member
    Overall activity: 2.0%

Root ED01 Froyo Fascinate

This thread copied from fascinateforums.com. Original poster bhfd64...

So you've won the waiting game and finally received your OTA update of Froyo. Now you want to root. You can find the steps below, but keep in mind that along with risking damage to your phone, you'll be voiding your warranty. The responsibility for any damage incurred by following this guide is yours and yours alone.

NOTE: These instructions are for PC only. They will not work for Mac users.

Downloads:
    Download Samsung drivers from
    HERE

Download Odin (computer program) from
    HERE

Download ClockworkMod Recovery from
    HERE

(place this file somewhere on your computer where you can easily locate it).

Download "update.zip" file from (attached to thread) (place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Download "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file from
    HERE

(place this file on the root of your sdcard...not within any folders).

Instructions:
    1. Install Samsung drivers on your computer.

2. Open Odin on your computer. (You may need to disable antivirus programs on your computer and/or phone for this to work properly.)

3. Power off your phone and remove the battery.

4. Plug the stock USB cord that came with your phone into a powered USB port on your computer (usually on the back of the CPU).

5. Press and hold the "volume down" button on your phone, and continue to hold it while plugging the USB cord into your phone. This will put your phone into download mode. You'll see a large yellow triangle on the screen of your phone. (Let go of the volume button at this point.) You will also see one of the small boxes in Odin turn yellow, as well as "Added" appearing in the message box.

6. Click the PDA button in Odin (NOT the PHONE button) and navigate to the "cwr-all.tar" file you downloaded earlier.

7. Press START. When this process has finished, you'll be notified in Odin (succeeded 1 / failed 0) and your phone screen will go blank.

8. Unplug your phone and re-insert the battery.

9. Press and hold BOTH volume buttons and the power button simultaneously. Hold all three until you see "SAMSUNG" appear. This will boot your phone into recovery. If your text is red, then you're already in ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery and you can skip the rest of this step. If the recovery menu is blue, then you're in stock recovery. Use the volume rocker to navigate down to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and select using the HOME softkey (the one that looks like a house). This will take you to CWM Recovery (red text menu). If your phone does not boot into recovery at this point, just pull the battery or wait for it to boot up and then power it down and try this again. It may take a couple tries for you to get it right.

10. Navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.

11. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select with the power button.

12. Navigate to the "su-2.3.6.1.x.zip" file that you downloaded earlier and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.

13. When you're advised of completion, press the MENU softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."

At this point your phone will reboot and you'll be rooted with fully bloated ED01 Froyo. Open up your app drawer. You should see an app called "Superuser." If it's there, you're done! Now you can think about possibly moving on to a custom ROM and/or kernel. Instructions for flashing a custom ROM can be found
    here

Here are the steps to manually boot into ClockworkMod recovery:

1. Turn your phone off.

2. Press & hold both volume buttons, then press the power button.

3. Release all three buttons when the SAMSUNG logo appears. You should now be in recovery. If you find yourself in stock recovery (blue text), select "apply update.zip" and press the HOME softkey. This should put you into ClockworkMod recovery (red text).

NOTE: Some people have reported that they need to hold the three buttons down longer (either until the SAMSUNG logo blinks once or disappears) in order to boot into recovery. YMMV.

Unfortunately you might have to use the ODIN method to get back into ClockworkMod. We were having problems using the update.zip.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 07-06-2011 at 10:55 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

just a heads up....update.zip gives a 404 not found.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by wailer View Post
    just a heads up....update.zip gives a 404 not found.
    Thanks for the heads up. Since I used this process I had the update.zip. Attached it to the thread.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

since mine is flashed to cricket will it go back to verizon ?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I'm pretty sure this is not the lastest root methods. Most root methods won't cause you to lose your flash. The ones that warn you that your data might be wiped, have the possibility of making you lose MMS and any proxy method installed.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I'm kinda a noob at all this and I'm just trying to find a update or Rom for my 2.1 Fascinate without removing the Cricket flash.

Thread Information