Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Phone
    Ascend 2

After a week I am becoming very disappointed

I was having issues with my Zio and so wanted an upgrade. So last week I went and bought an Ascend 2 and after the first week I keep finding that I am becoming more dissatisfied as each day goes by. The best thing about the phone is the case I bought.
    First I am unable to get some apps to local TV station news apps such as ABC (KCNC) and CBS (KMGH). Also other apps that I was hoping to use such as document scanners and bar code scanners. All I had on my Zio.
    Tonight seven of the apps I do have needed updating and I was unable. The phone said there was not enough storage space.
    I have fewer apps on the Ascend then I had on the Zio and have more of them on the SD card then I had on the Zio.
    I was under the impression that the Ascend 2 was an upgrade and had more memory then the Zio. It actually seams like a lower quality phone relating to apps and storage space.
    I am gonna go talk to the store next week when I get paid and see about returning the Ascend 2 and getting the Mercury I suppose. I was wanting to get a new Tablet this pay check but it seams not.
    Last edited by Dewmik; 05-13-2012 at 01:33 AM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Nerd
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Kyocera Dorado

Mercury is fine, but do not hope to much for the best performance. My borther in law has one, and he is super disappointed with its performance. He has to keep it because it is through work....
    If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I wouldn't call the A2 an upgrade from the Zio really. The OS is newer, processors are clocked at the same speed, Zio has a higher screen resolution...

The Zio probably cost more to produce than Huawei's Ascend 2. Now the Mercury would be an upgrade, but to be completely honest... If I wanted something in that form factor... I'd go with an original DINC and get either a super LCD or AMOLED. I believe they were produced with both.

The V8000 looks really good. ICS is still a possibility for the Merc according to a rep I spoke with at CTIA.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Customer Since
    jan 2011
    Phone
    samsung Chrono

the ascend 2 is somewhat of an upgrade. . more like an update, the best part about the ascend2 is you can tweak it and maximize it's usage. where the zio is stuck in android 2.2 land, and riddled with bugs. yes the zio was a quality phone, i preferred it to the score, and ascend. the zio has a better battery, better resolution, and can take a beating. . knowing now cricket plans to release a bunch of new phones i would have advised against an upgrade until they do put out the new devices.

+1 "The V8000 looks really good."

Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

Quote Originally Posted by indica View Post
    the ascend 2 is somewhat of an upgrade. . more like an update, the best part about the ascend2 is you can tweak it and maximize it's usage. where the zio is stuck in android 2.2 land, and riddled with bugs. yes the zio was a quality phone, i preferred it to the score, and ascend. the zio has a better battery, better resolution, and can take a beating. . knowing now cricket plans to release a bunch of new phones i would have advised against an upgrade until they do put out the new devices.

+1 "The V8000 looks really good."
    That's why I like my Ascend2. It's modifyability. That is your new word for the day. LOL. seriously though, with all the mods and tweaks i've tried, my A2 runs like a new phone. I don't have a Merc, but I'm hoping, maybe in a few months. So til then, I'll keep modding this here phone.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

I agree... I started work the A1...talk about disappointment! Moved to the LG I was good up until the A2 was released. Modded the heck out of it and no matter what I still got the out of memory. Aside from that, it was a pretty good phone...As a matter of fact, my daughter has it now and her friends ask her what iphone does she have?!? lol...

Sent from my Merc using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Ascend 2

Well this morning after reading this thread I was a bit perplexed as to why the phone would say that there was not enough room to do updates on existing apps. I just can't see how having fewer apps then I had on the Zio could possibly affect this phone.
    I looked and there is 23.08 MB of phone storage available and the memory is 49.72 MB of memory available. Now correct me if I am wrong but this dose not seem to be a phone out of room.
    I got an update app so I could easily update the phone and see what it did. All the apps that were trying to update last night loaded just fine. The difference is I wasn't doing them at the same time. I am wondering if trying to update 7 apps at a time was simply to much.
    While I am still not extremely happy with the phone, On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 4. Mostly because of the fact I can't use the TV station apps that I like, and can't use the code and document scanners.
    I have another week tell payday so I will give it time and see if it continues to leave me disappointed. Then Saturday I will decide if I should get a different phone or simply as indica suggested wait tell Cricket releases the new phones. As I said before I want to get a tablet and am really looking forward to that, but at the same time having a phone that doesn't fail is the priority.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

Quote Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
    Well this morning after reading this thread I was a bit perplexed as to why the phone would say that there was not enough room to do updates on existing apps. I just can't see how having fewer apps then I had on the Zio could possibly affect this phone.
    I looked and there is 23.08 MB of phone storage available and the memory is 49.72 MB of memory available. Now correct me if I am wrong but this dose not seem to be a phone out of room.
    I got an update app so I could easily update the phone and see what it did. All the apps that were trying to update last night loaded just fine. The difference is I wasn't doing them at the same time. I am wondering if trying to update 7 apps at a time was simply to much.
    While I am still not extremely happy with the phone, On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 4. Mostly because of the fact I can't use the TV station apps that I like, and can't use the code and document scanners.
    I have another week tell payday so I will give it time and see if it continues to leave me disappointed. Then Saturday I will decide if I should get a different phone or simply as indica suggested wait tell Cricket releases the new phones. As I said before I want to get a tablet and am really looking forward to that, but at the same time having a phone that doesn't fail is the priority.
    Are you rooted and ROM'ed? I'm always trying new roms, and some have fixes for stuff. I'm using a cm7 rom from Unleashedprepaids.com , and I have QR Reader for Android by Tapmedia installed. It works with no problems. If you are willing to read and follow instructions, there are lots of guides to root and install custom recoveries and roms. Just remember: MODIFYING YOUR PHONES OS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. That being said, I change my rom pretty frequently. Check it out. There are lots of friendly people who always seem to be able to help me. You can run scripts for DTA2SD and put everything on sdcard, theres a mod posted by Android Titan(jonhaney at UPP) to increase your internal memory to 201mb! Check the forum for Huawei sonic and Ascend2 I have yet to have hurt my phone and have actually learned a lot about this stuff in general. Well good luck, and let the Ascend, be your friend. LOL

Phone
    Ascend 2

The phone is not rooted now. I have thought about doing it, especially with this latest deal. However I will put the idea on the back burner until next week. That way if I decide to return the phone I can.
    If I chose to keep it I won't be worried about the warranty and root it. Warranties are useless with phones anyhow.

The thing with that however is I can fix any motor but I have never been reel good with this kind of thing and have never done it before.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

Quote Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
    The phone is not rooted now. I have thought about doing it, especially with this latest deal. However I will put the idea on the back burner until next week. That way if I decide to return the phone I can.
    If I chose to keep it I won't be worried about the warranty and root it. Warranties are useless with phones anyhow.

The thing with that however is I can fix any motor but I have never been reel good with this kind of thing and have never done it before.
    Well if you do decide to try, read all the pertinent material and follow all steps. This really is a decent little phone for the price. Oh, and last year, I had never done anything like this either. In fact, I nearly bricked my phone a few times by not reading the guides, but it really isn't as hard as it sounds. Well enjoy your phone!

Its not the a2 really ur dissapointed with its the software on it that holds it back you probably have muve which consumes alot of the phones memory and slows it down. I'm pretty satisfied with mine clocked at 729mhz running adobe flash and around 50 apps on my phone so far with 47 MB of memory left. The phone is an upgrade the software isnt

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

Quote Originally Posted by dazeone View Post
    Its not the a2 really ur dissapointed with its the software on it that holds it back you probably have muve which consumes alot of the phones memory and slows it down. I'm pretty satisfied with mine clocked at 729mhz running adobe flash and around 50 apps on my phone so far with 47 MB of memory left. The phone is an upgrade the software isnt

Same here. I'm running at 729 also. I've got 90mb free and I'm loaded up with large games. All on sd thanks to DT a2sd. Dalvik on sd. It helped when I got a class 10 card. I've run V6tweak, KickassKernelizer, Smurfedout tweak. Adobe flash I still need to replace a few files to get it going, but I have them and just need to erase and copy(doing that now) Running a new cm7 rom based on honeycomb w/multitouch, fm radio. "Tweak it and it shall be better" is my motto...well it is now. My benchmark runs around 1600, but more importantly, my phone is way snappier than it was stock. Chainfire 3d helps with 3d games. Gotta love it!

Customer Since
    08-08
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

hey mendoozer youll void your warranty like that lmao

Phone
    Huawei Ascend2

Quote Originally Posted by tclemens View Post
    hey mendoozer youll void your warranty like that lmao
    When I got my A2, the Cricket girl was checking out my A1 and was marveling over the mods i'd applied. When she gave me the A2, she said, "Are you one of those hacker dudes?", and, "You're just gonna go home and mod this, aren't you?" I just laughed, and didn't even get a warranty. She told me I was the easiest customer she had ever had cause I didn't have a single question. Ha! Warranty? Who needs it! Now of course If I did screw up my ish, at least the phone was cheap. I repeat, Warranty? Ha! The internet is all I need as warranty! LOL!!! Oh and I like your signature! BEER!!!!
    Last edited by mendoozer666; 05-13-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Add on

I have an a1 modded out the only thing I couldn't do was get the Huawei logo off the boot anyone have luck with it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information