Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Ascend 2 Coming Soon, Featuring Gingerbread?

This will possibly cut into the sales of the Samsung Indulge which Cricket recently released. Those who desire a keyboard and faster processor, might hold out and save some more change for it, but most will find the Ascend 2 enough to satisfy their needs. It features a higher megapixel count on it's camera (5.0 vs 3.2) and the same screen resolution vs the Indulge. Initial speculation resulted in us thinking it'd be equipped with an 800mhz processor, but it looks like it's only going to be 600mhz. This is a slight bump over the original Ascend (528mhz).

According to the article below, it looks to be equipped with Gingerbread 2.3 (Android OS). This would be the first Gingerbread device for Cricket. We have heard rumors that the Indulge will receive an update in the future.

SHENZHEN, CHINA—Huawei's low-priced
    Ascend

smartphone

was a big hit on Cricket and MetroPCS, selling about 2 million units. So it makes sense the companies would want to follow up. Next week, Cricket will announce the Huawei Ascend 2, its next low-cost Android smartphone. I got some hands-on time with the Ascend 2 here at Huawei's global headquarters.

0-1425-i%3D262047-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262051-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262049-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262048-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262052-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262050-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262053-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262046-sz%3D1-00.jpg

The Ascend 2 isn't a surprise, like
    Huawei's dual-core Glory

; we
    first heard about it

back in March at CTIA. But the model I saw this week was pretty much a final retail unit; phones are preparing to ship to the U.S., Cricket's vice president of devices Matt Stoiber told me, for an announcement in the first few days of July.

The new
    phone

bumps up some of the Ascend's specs, but it stays in the realm of entry-level Android. This phone has a 3.5-inch, 320-by-480 screen and a 600Mhz, ARM11 Qualcomm processor, similar to the one in the
    LG Optimus C for Cricket

. That's a bump up from the Ascend's 528Mhz processor.

Back in March we'd heard that the phone might have an 800-by-480 screen, but I think in this case the lower-res screen is actually better; that inexpensive Qualcomm processor has trouble pushing a lot of pixels.
    The Ascend 2 has a 5-megapixel camera (its predecessor was 3.2 megapixels) along with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, and support for Cricket's 3G EVDO Rev A network. There's also—thank goodness—a real 3.5mm headphone jack, the omission of which was a big black mark against the original Ascend.

While the Ascend 2 felt snappy enough as I was trying it, it was in its straight-out-of-the-box state and not full of all of the guff with which we usually stuff our smartphones.

Speaking of guff, Huawei and Cricket couldn't resist tweaking the Android Gingerbread (version 2.3) OS here. Huawei's manufacturer skin is pretty light, but it's still definitely a skin. You can change the home screen transition animations, your friends' Facebook updates appear in the address book, and you can juggle around the icons in the app drawer like on an iPhone. I really like that last feature, because anything that helps me manage a large number of Android apps is welcome. Cricket adds its own apps as well, of course.

The phone only has about 140MB of free memory, but it'll come with a 2GB MicroSD card. In October, Cricket will offer an
    upgrade

to its Muve Music service, which gives Cricket subscribers unlimited music downloads as part of their rate plan. (The Ascend 2 won't be the first Muve Music smartphone—that honor belongs to a Samsung phone coming out this summer.)

The Ascend 2 will debut next week for a price similar to the original Ascend, which
    cost

a mere $129 prepaid when it launched.

Source:
    Exclusive: Hands On With the Huawei Ascend 2 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 06-22-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    Cricket Users' Free Android App - Read, post, and more from your Android device!

Find a phone to flash to Cricket!

2. Remove this advertisement.

So avenue I have a question. Im kind of rushing for this phone to come out, so your saying it comes out Monday July 4 ?

Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by street View Post
    So avenue I have a question. Im kind of rushing for this phone to come out, so your saying it comes out Monday July 4 ?
    I don't know the exact date. I think it should be coming out the first week of July. So, SOON.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend 2

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I don't know the exact date. I think it should be coming out the first week of July. So, SOON.
    Hey Avenue!, what phone do you think is going to be better....Huawei Ascend 2 or Huawei X5?

Quote Originally Posted by sm559 View Post
    Hey Avenue!, what phone do you think is going to be better....Huawei Ascend 2 or Huawei X5?
    I think the Huawei X5 would be better, since it has a better processor, and a large screen, but I haven't heard much about the Huawei X5. I did hear it might be coming around December of this year, but that was not from an accurate source. So, at this time, I'd say go with the Huawei Ascend 2. We know that is coming, and it's coming out soon.

I just heard that the Ascend 2 is on Cricket's internal system.

That's good news, isn't it?

Also, the Zio is now free when you trade in a phone and port your number, instead of the Ascend.

We're getting closer and closer to seeing the Ascend 2!!

It looks like it was on the website: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...s-website.html

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

I'll have the Ascend 2 in store tomorrow. I suspect that will be the case all of the country, within a day or so.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I'd really like to pick up a 3d but I might get an Ascend 2 to review.

Sent from Droid Incredible 2 Global phone on Cricket via Tapatalk.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information