Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

Few questions about the Huawei Ascend II (rooting, app, sd card questions)

I'm thinking about getting the Huawei Ascend II (at least until the H. Glory comes out) but I have a few questions. I have the H. Ascend I and like the $130 deal on Cricket's site. I rooted my H. Ascend I and overclocked it to 600 mH. I've tested out the H. Ascend II just briefly at the Cricket store and it still works a little smoother than my rooted/overclocked H. Ascend I.

My questions are this:

I know many many many Android phones can be rooted, but my question is, is there a possibility that someone won't find out a way to root it?

If so, will it be long until someone finds out how to root it?

If it can be rooted, can the processor handle being overclocked higher? (I imagine the HA2 uses a different/newer/better processor than HA1?)

Can apps be installed to the SD card (to keep the phone memory freed up)?

And my last question is if it is possible to increase memory via the SD card to make the phone perform better and/or faster?

I'm not super familiar to how Android phones and the operating system work so if these questions sound a little dumb, I apologize.

Thanks for whatever help you can give me,

-Nate

2. Remove this advertisement.

Phone
    Samsung Epic 4G

Quote Originally Posted by natebarrett11 View Post
    I know many many many Android phones can be rooted, but my question is, is there a possibility that someone won't find out a way to root it?

If so, will it be long until someone finds out how to root it?

If it can be rooted, can the processor handle being overclocked higher? (I imagine the HA2 uses a different/newer/better processor than HA1?)

Can apps be installed to the SD card (to keep the phone memory freed up)?

And my last question is if it is possible to increase memory via the SD card to make the phone perform better and/or faster?
    Since the original Ascend was rootable I'm pretty definite that this phone will be rootable ind due time as well. Unless they drastically changed the software inside the Ascend II, it should be a short time until a rooting solution is available.

That being said, it could be anywhere from a month to a few months until we know how long until a rooting solution is available. It honestly depends on the needs/desire of the community for the device to be rooted. If this phone sells like hot-cakes as I'm sure it will, I'm sure there will be a massive interest in getting them rooted.

I'm sure that it will be possible to overclock the processor over it's 600MHz stock speed but that will depend on what custom kernels are released and WHEN lol.

Since the Ascend II is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, installing apps to the SD card will definitely be possible to keep the phone memory freed.

Increasing the SD Card size will not make a noticeable change in how your phone performs. If anything you may see a decrease in the loading time for apps but it won't be by too terribly much to be remarkable.

I hope that I've been able to help since I'm pretty familiar with flashing/rooting/customizing android devices

Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

Quote Originally Posted by DestinedChaos View Post
    Since the original Ascend was rootable I'm pretty definite that this phone will be rootable ind due time as well. Unless they drastically changed the software inside the Ascend II, it should be a short time until a rooting solution is available.

That being said, it could be anywhere from a month to a few months until we know how long until a rooting solution is available. It honestly depends on the needs/desire of the community for the device to be rooted. If this phone sells like hot-cakes as I'm sure it will, I'm sure there will be a massive interest in getting them rooted.

I'm sure that it will be possible to overclock the processor over it's 600MHz stock speed but that will depend on what custom kernels are released and WHEN lol.

Since the Ascend II is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, installing apps to the SD card will definitely be possible to keep the phone memory freed.

Increasing the SD Card size will not make a noticeable change in how your phone performs. If anything you may see a decrease in the loading time for apps but it won't be by too terribly much to be remarkable.

I hope that I've been able to help since I'm pretty familiar with flashing/rooting/customizing android devices
    Thanks Destined, your answers have been very helpful. I think I'll be ordering it soon, I just need to find out if there are cases you can buy with it (I like my silicone light blue case) and screen protector. What are kernels? I ran Z4root and Superuser to root the phone. I hope you can help us out with all of this. I don't really know much about rooting other than by following guides on how to do it.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

What is a Kernel?

The central component of most OS. Its responsibilities include managing the system’s resources (the communication between hardware and software components) and can provide the lowest-level abstraction layer for resources (especially memory, processors, and I/O devices)

Anyways we've tried SuperOneClick and Gingerbreak. Neither of these worked. Root might take a little time here.
    Last edited by Chris Rodriguez; 07-16-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

But it is expected to happen? The only reason I really rooted my H. Ascend was because the lag was driving me crazy so I overclocked it. Doesn't appear lag is much of a problem on the H. Ascend II. I tested it out just briefly but it seemed to work well. Have you guys tried installing all your favorite apps on it to see how it works (would there be a difference if you installed it on the SD card instead of the phones memory?) when it has more than just the out-of-the-box apps on it? There were a few other nice root apps though that would come in handy, but that I don't need (right away).

Phone is definitley mid-level android competitor

For 600mhz it tricked me into thinking it was the "800mhz" they promised on Cnet's review. I haven't had it lag or anything on me once, I run ADW Launcher on it, and it runs effortlessly. The 2.3 on it was a huge surprise since cnet had said it was running just fro-yo. I have a lot of things on my phone....apps of all kinds and it runs it well.

BEST THING ABOUT THE PHONE?

FINALLY, a dedicated GPU and its a pretty good one too. SpeedX 3D is the most fun game ever.

Only thing about this phone I can complain about is no flash. The 3.5 jack is a huge upgrade I was stoked about as well.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

Quote Originally Posted by Hallister View Post
    For 600mhz it tricked me into thinking it was the "800mhz" they promised on Cnet's review. I haven't had it lag or anything on me once, I run ADW Launcher on it, and it runs effortlessly. The 2.3 on it was a huge surprise since cnet had said it was running just fro-yo. I have a lot of things on my phone....apps of all kinds and it runs it well.

BEST THING ABOUT THE PHONE?

FINALLY, a dedicated GPU and its a pretty good one too. SpeedX 3D is the most fun game ever.

Only thing about this phone I can complain about is no flash. The 3.5 jack is a huge upgrade I was stoked about as well.
    Thank you so much for this comment, this is exactly the information I wanted to know about.

Phone
    ZTE Source rooted

I tried gingerbreak exploit 1.0, 2.0 from a few XDA developers suggestions it does not work. i own and am on the ascend 2 as u read this..this phone is TOO new so patience might give to wait like people have suggested. By the way?? What is clockwork. Mod?

this might sound dumb but you know how you can root the ascend 1 with z4 root right?
    why not download z4 root again and root the ascend 2 the same way you did with the original??

Phone
    ZTE Source rooted

Quote Originally Posted by SJacobs310 View Post
    this might sound dumb but you know how you can root the ascend 1 with z4 root right?
    why not download z4 root again and root the ascend 2 the same way you did with the original??
    You CANT... Z4mod is and was for OS android 1.0 to 2.1 anything ABOVE 2.1 is GINGERBREAD and FROYO..MUCH MUCH MORE advanced than the lower level OS

Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

That's what I thought after doing some research. I hadn't seen any phones with an OS above Froyo that had been rooted. I figured it must be something like that. Have a lot of people rooted phones with Gingerbread on it??

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix602 View Post
    You CANT... Z4mod is and was for OS android 1.0 to 2.1 anything ABOVE 2.1 is GINGERBREAD and FROYO..MUCH MUCH MORE advanced than the lower level OS
    Well damn you're smart thanks for clarifying that for ne

Try Downloading Z4 root from 4shared

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Z4root isn't going to work. I didn't try it cause I didn't think it had a chance. Also tried gingerbreak and SuperOneClick.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Thread Information