Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

New Ascend owner impressions: Netflix, rooting, overclocking, wifi tether

Well, I have to say, as a new Ascend 2 owner, i am pretty happy.

i got this to replace a cheap cricket phone i had. I use a Motorola Xoom so an Android phone was not a big need for me, but i figured "why not, its on sale"

Its pretty responsive for a low end Android. of course it suffers from low memory and storage, but a fast sd card and Link2SD fixes all of that. I have a ton of apps installed and plenty of space left. Luckily i had a Nook Color with Clockwork on it to partition the card.

of course, to do this, I had already rooted it. Piece of cake.

SetCPU went as I expected. The kernel doesnt support anything above 600. so I raised the lower limit and set up a "screen off" profile to save the battery.

Speaking of the battery, not great. Juice Defender is a MUST.

Next I needed to set up a wifi tether for my Xoom. I needed to patch my Xoom to allow for ad-hoc wifi, but it works perfectly. Both my Nook and Xoom connect perfectly when I use Barnacle Tether.

So, i figured, "lets give it a real test". i found a copy of Netflix and installed it. Yes, it will run Netflix. video shows fine, even under 3g! There were some video sync issues when it first starts playing, but it calms down.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Awesome!

Thanks for the review.

I've been asked how to get Netflix running on the Ascend 2. Look around on XDA-Developers. You can find links to the APK with the device detection removed. When I get a chance, I'll try and find a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Romp View Post
    I've been asked how to get Netflix running on the Ascend 2. Look around on XDA-Developers. You can find links to the APK with the device detection removed. When I get a chance, I'll try and find a link.
    Yeah, please post a link if you can.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Romp it would be great if you could post any tutorials on how you did any of the stuff you mentioned. I am sure anyone here who has the 2 will be grateful.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    HTC Evo 4G LTE

Here is a link to a post on xda that I found a while back. It worked perfect on my old Incredible.
    Try it out!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1076150

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Woof, Sounds good. I'll start with the one that helped me the most. Link2SD.
    https://market.android.com/details?i....Link2SD&hl=en

You may have noticed that you can't install too much on the Ascend 2 since it has very limited storage. Well, normally, with an SD card, some programs can be moved to the SD card using SETTINGS / APPLICATIONS / MANAGE APPLICATIONS, but not all.

Link2SD uses the ability of Linux to make links to files to move them to your SD card and out of the way, keeping your main storage available. I have an insane number of apps installed, yet still have about half of my internal storage availlable.
    A few things to keep in mind.

1. You cannot swap out your SD card if there are programs on it.
    2. Internal storage is faster than the SD, so load times may be longer depending on the app. The SD card that comes with the phone is a crappy class 2. Replace it if you can with a faster one. You can always leave program you want to load faster on the internal storage.
    3. Some programs (in theory) may not work properly if moved to the SD card. Personally, every one I have tried works fine.
    4. Pre-installed apps cannot be moved UNLESS they are upgraded. For example, GMail is pre-installed, but has an update. The update can be moved, but in reality, the original is still there too. Effectively, it works perfectly and you save space.
    5. The SD card MUST be partitioned properly. This is a pain if this is your only Android device.

I'll cover this last one first. The SD card must be partitioned in a way that the Android OS can use.

There are multiple ways to partition the SD card and the easiest is using Clockworkmod (CWM) or Linux. Do some research on the web and you will find out how. I will explain one method, using CWM on a different device.

If you have access to a rooted device with CWMinstalled, this is the easiest method. Start your device into recovery. Under the CWM, select Advanced, then Partition SD Card. It will ask you what size you want for the second partition (this is where Link2SD will put your programs). On my Nook Color, I can set it up to 4Gb! Your next option is the size of the swap file. I believe the kernel has to support this and I haven't bothered to check if it works or not, but it will not hurt if you set one up. Select whatever you want here (I selected 128k). Basically swap allows the phone to work better when it runs low on RAM.

When CWM is done, take the SD card out and put it in your phone.

At this point, regardless of how you partitioned the SD card, start up the phone and start Link2SD.

The first time it runs, it will ask you to select a file system for the SD card. Select EXT4. Its the fastest. It will tell you that you need to reboot. Power the phone down and then start it up again.

Fire up link2SD again. Now, you will see a list of your apps. Select "Create link". Check all of the three checkboxes you see (they may not all be available), then OK. A few seconds later, and the files will be moved the the SD card and the links created.

Also, under SETTINGS, check "AUTO-LINK" and Link2SD will automatically move newly installed apps for you.

If you look under storage, it will still show the same amount, at least until you reboot.

That's it. If you get past the setup of the SD card, you are set and can install tons of apps with no problem.

To give you an idea of how mine is set up. I have all games and apps i installed moved to the SD card with the exception of widgets, JuiceDefender, and LauncherPro. They all work fine from the SD, but it starts up a few seconds faster this way.

I currently have 32 apps installed and plenty of room left.

Last edited by Romp; 08-07-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Formatting isssues.

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Nice post. I tried a few different versions of Netflix with no luck when I had ours. These versions worked with many other devices, but not the Ascend 2. I'll search around if you don't post the APK, but I'd like the knowledge on here somewhere.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

This one works on mine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This one works on mine.
    I did the thing a while back when you had to change the name of your phone. Netflix worked for a while, but I don't know anymore because I don't have an account.

If I use that APK, does that mean I can change the name of my phone back to Huawei Ascend?

I assume you are talking about changing the model and manufacturer in the build.prop file.

i didnt have to adjust it on mine. it works without any changes.

I assume you are talking about changing the model and manufacturer in the build.prop file.

i didnt have to adjust it on mine. it works without any changes.
    Yeah, that's what I changed.

Thanks!

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Romp, thanks for the write up. I am sure many will find it useful.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    Huawei Ascend II

Can someone explain to me exactly what a ClockworkMod is? Is there a way to partition an MicroSD card without having it? I wouldn't mind moving some of the stock apps to the SD card... Is there a way to move them back?

Supporting Member

Yes you can entirely. i used a normal partition program in the past on my pc. I set up a fat32 partition, a swap space, and an ext 3 one. How you originally had to do it on the g1 lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information