Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 1.0%

Is it Possible to update rooted m865 to android 2.3.5-6 without loosing root access?

As anyone who has tried to root their Ascend II with Android versions later than 2.3.3 knows, you must downgrade to android 2.3.3 to gain root access. My question is simple. Is it possible to update your rooted M865 Android 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 without losing root access? I've searched the Internet high and low, and can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question, and if it is possible please explain or provide links for frustrated users like myself. Thank you.

Huawei M865
    Android 2.3.3 rooted
    A2Tude
    CWM 5.0.2.7

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|
    Overall activity: 0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Yes you will still have root when you upgrade. (according to many users feedback)

Sent from Oriax123's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Overall activity: 1.0%

I do appreciate the reply however if it was that simple I would not have posted in the first place. I bought my M865 from cricket with Droid 2.3.6 wmuve, in order to gain root I had to downgrade to Droid 2.3.3. Then I flashed the Root.zip and installed cwmRecovery. I obtained the update packeges for the ascend ii, Droid 2.3.5 update.zip, and Droid 2.3.6 w Muve update.zip the only way I could use the updates was to flash the stock rom by putting the stock 2.3.3 "update.zip" in a folder at the root of the sdcard called "dload" and then while the phone was powered down hold vol up+down+power. Doing this did update the Android version but it also unrooted and removed cwmRecovery. Since then I have rerooted and reflashed CWMRecovery. Now I have root access and CWMRecovery and no matter what I try the update packages will not work. If anyone who has an ascend ii with any Droid version later than 2.3.3 and root access I would sure appreciate some help. Please no speculations I have plenty of my own and I agree with the one posted that from feedback it should be possible but how is that really helping any frustrated users like me.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Yes you can keep root if upgrading from 2. 3. 3 to 2. 3. 5 but you have to do it manually and same with going from 2. 3. 5 to 2. 3. 6.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by djgdeadhead View Post
    I do appreciate the reply however if it was that simple I would not have posted in the first place. I bought my M865 from cricket with Droid 2.3.6 wmuve, in order to gain root I had to downgrade to Droid 2.3.3. Then I flashed the Root.zip and installed cwmRecovery. I obtained the update packeges for the ascend ii, Droid 2.3.5 update.zip, and Droid 2.3.6 w Muve update.zip the only way I could use the updates was to flash the stock rom by putting the stock 2.3.3 "update.zip" in a folder at the root of the sdcard called "dload" and then while the phone was powered down hold vol up+down+power. Doing this did update the Android version but it also unrooted and removed cwmRecovery. Since then I have rerooted and reflashed CWMRecovery. Now I have root access and CWMRecovery and no matter what I try the update packages will not work. If anyone who has an ascend ii with any Droid version later than 2.3.3 and root access I would sure appreciate some help. Please no speculations I have plenty of my own and I agree with the one posted that from feedback it should be possible but how is that really helping any frustrated users like me.
    The reason the update won't work its because of cwm recovery you have to flash back stock Android (3e) recovery to do an official update

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I just performed the whole procedure .. back date to 2.3.3.. Enable de-bugging .. Install the update.zip from the root directory ofSDCard ( It really doesn't matter where the file is located but for consistencyput it in the root directory ).. Once rebooted go to "settings" -"about phone" - "online update" let the phone downloadthe update .. version 2.3.6 will populate .. your done .. It worked that smoothly for me

Overall activity: 4.0%

Phone
    huawei ascend 2

ok do i unzip the update file b4 i put it on my sd card? what is the root directory of the sd card? is that just a place on the sd card

Wrecked Johnson

put the update.zip file on your sd card example: g:\update.zip

Thread Information