Sign Up Now FAQ
Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

 
Welcome to Cricket Users!



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: root access

  1. #1
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    root access

    Was achieved on this device, HOWEVER it's only temp at the moment and it requires a rather lenthy process through ADB. The problem is cricket did not want this device rooted, they made changes to secure it more than the C which took months to crack if you guys remember that far back. I will make an APK for temp, but just give me some time.

    donations are appreciated:
    HTML Code:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=tromspert%40gmail%2ecom&lc=US&item_name=Ascend%202&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted

  2. Remove this advertisement.
  3. #2
    Member
    Points: 1,107, Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II



    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    Was achieved on this device, HOWEVER it's only temp at the moment and it requires a rather lenthy process through ADB. The problem is cricket did not want this device rooted, they made changes to secure it more than the C which took months to crack if you guys remember that far back. I will make an APK for temp, but just give me some time.

    donations are appreciated:
    HTML Code:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=tromspert%40gmail%2ecom&lc=US&item_name=Ascend%202&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted
    YESSSSS

    Not really quite sure what it means though. What is ADB and what do you mean by temp? What will knowing that temp do?

  4. #3
    Member
    Points: 1,344, Level: 20
    Overall activity: 0%
    FF2CO4's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Customer Since
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Fredericksburg,va
    Posts
    150
    Phone
    Motorola Razr 16GB



    Quote Originally Posted by natebarrett11 View Post
    YESSSSS

    Not really quite sure what it means though. What is ADB and what do you mean by temp? What will knowing that temp do?
    really?......................

  5. #4
    Member
    Points: 1,107, Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II



    Quote Originally Posted by FF2CO4 View Post
    really?......................
    Is your post really necessary?

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    There are some advanced members, and some members that aren't as experienced. Please try to keep that in mind.

    Let me see if I can explain this: Temporary Root, basically roots the phone, but temporarily. If you don't know what rooting is, it basically gives you administrative access privileges, which will then let you run different applications that require root, such as WiFi Tether.

    Permanent Root will keep the phone rooted unless you choose to unroot it.

  7. #6
    Member
    Points: 1,107, Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II



    Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    There are some advanced members, and some members that aren't as experienced. Please try to keep that in mind.

    Let me see if I can explain this: Temporary Root, basically roots the phone, but temporarily. If you don't know what rooting is, it basically gives you administrative access privileges, which will then let you run different applications that require root, such as WiFi Tether.

    Permanent Root will keep the phone rooted unless you choose to unroot it.
    Thanks Avenue, for both clearing that up and moderating . I know what rooting is and I thought that's what he meant by temp but I wasn't sure. Is it only temporary until Cricket drops an update (or until there's a permanent fix for it)? And how does one know that it is only temporary and not permanent?

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Points: 51,481, Level: 100
    Overall activity: 0%
    avenue's Avatar
    Reputation
    Reputation 51
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,805



    Quote Originally Posted by natebarrett11 View Post
    Thanks Avenue, for both clearing that up and moderating . I know what rooting is and I thought that's what he meant by temp but I wasn't sure. Is it only temporary until Cricket drops an update (or until there's a permanent fix for it)? And how does one know that it is only temporary and not permanent?
    No problem.

    I'm not sure what exactly temporary means in this case. I was thinking it would be rooted until the phone was restarted. If Cricket sends up an update I don't think it's require. If they decide to upgrade to Android 2.3 from 2.1 for example I think you'd need to manually check for updates and update it. I don't think it would do it automatically.

    I know with z4root it will say Temporary Root or Permanent Root. I'm not sure how Thomas is doing it and how he knows if it's temporary or not. You'd need to ask him that question.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    No problem.

    I'm not sure what exactly temporary means in this case. I was thinking it would be rooted until the phone was restarted. If Cricket sends up an update I don't think it's require. If they decide to upgrade to Android 2.3 from 2.1 for example I think you'd need to manually check for updates and update it. I don't think it would do it automatically.

    I know with z4root it will say Temporary Root or Permanent Root. I'm not sure how Thomas is doing it and how he knows if it's temporary or not. You'd need to ask him that question.
    It's temporary access until the device is restarted.However i'm accessing it while the phone is in recovery mode. There's a small exploit in the phone that way.

  10. #9
    Member
    Points: 1,107, Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II



    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    It's temporary access until the device is restarted.However i'm accessing it while the phone is in recovery mode. There's a small exploit in the phone that way.
    Is it possible for phone companies to role out updates that patch up exploit holes like that?

  11. #10
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    I've decided that due to lack of support development will cease until I see some. The C had hardly any, I devote time to this, I have bills to pay. A donation, no matter how small is unbelievably helpful.You guys donated to icarus, after 2 kernels, 2 roms, and a recovery i'd say its fair about now...thank you

  12. #11
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    Quote Originally Posted by natebarrett11 View Post
    Is it possible for phone companies to role out updates that patch up exploit holes like that?
    Yes, seen it happen in the past.

  13. #12
    Member
    Points: 1,107, Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II



    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    Yes, seen it happen in the past.
    Well thank you for all your doing for this community. Regardless of whether you successfully root it, thank you very much. I can't speak for the whole community, but I can speak for myself and even the fact that you are attempting to root it is awesome. I look forward to hearing how this all turns out.

  14. #13
    Supporting Member
    Reputation
    Reputation 22
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    288



    Quote Originally Posted by natebarrett11 View Post
    Well thank you for all your doing for this community. Regardless of whether you successfully root it, thank you very much. I can't speak for the whole community, but I can speak for myself and even the fact that you are attempting to root it is awesome. I look forward to hearing how this all turns out.
    your very welcome.I've been around since the G1, Android is something i've gotten to know too well.

  15. #14
    Member
    Points: 1,107, Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    70
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend II



    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Romspert View Post
    your very welcome.I've been around since the G1, Android is something i've gotten to know too well.
    I can't donate much (entering college this Fall), but I did donate a little to you for helping us. I hope people will continue to donate to you and help further this project.

  16. #15
    Junior Member
    Points: 898, Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%

    Reputation
    Reputation 11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11
    Phone
    Huawei Ascend 2



    I get paid Friday. So ill donate for your efforts

    Sent from my M865

 

 
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 01:50 PM
  2. cant access epst settings
    By rman4456 in forum Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 12:51 PM
  4. Thunderbolt gets root and NAND access
    By CU-News in forum Android News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Advertise With Us?
Advertise with us? (Position 1 - Advertise with Us) Small Banner