Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 9.0%

Phone
    mercury(glory)m886

Exclamation [request] We Need to come together.

Huawei's Email: SupportUSA@huawei.com
    Contact page: http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/aboutUs.do?method=contructUs

Unlike the ascend community, the mercury community is not very strong. I am creating this thread to hopefully make us a little stronger and pressure huawei into releasing the source code for our phones.

I Would like to get as many people sending huawei a daily email requesting the source code to be published, this is how we got the ascends.

Post your messages for ideas for others on how to cunstruct theirs. don't get mad about people using the same message as you, this is not the point. We need to come together, we need to get people to push huawei into releasing the source code.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS PHONE DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN'T HELP.
    Please, even if you don't have this phone, send them emails.

But don't threaten to burn their puppies if they don't release it (maybe their kittens though, jk )
    My last message sent:
    to: SupportUSA@huawei.com
    Subject: source code for the phone m886

body:
    I am looking for a download link for the source code for the huawei mercury. the huawei mercury is also known as the glory, or m886 and can be found on your website at
    HUAWEI M886 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

If you guys are not planning on updating to android 4.0 on this device, then please release the source code so that developers can do so.

The m886 community might not be as strong as the ascend's community was, but we are getting tired for the wait.

the m886 is the sister of the honor. the m886 is the cdma version of the honor. the m886 is on the cricket network.

please release the source code to this device. A few developers for this phone would love to get ice cream sandwich running on it.

BTW, under GNU GPL that the android system is under, you must release the source code for the device.
    a copy of the GPL can be found at:

GPL Violations homepage - About the GNU General Public License

just in case you don't seem to have it on your server, but it should have been shipped with android when you first got it before you started developing for your phones.

Thank you for your time,
    Donnie
    replace "
    HUAWEI M886 - Huawei Device Co., Ltd..

" with the url that it links to if your email service doesn't do it automatically

I'm really hoping this is not a failed attempt to bring us together and fight for what we want/need to get ICS on our phones.

I Will be sending an email every day.

------------------
    for those interested in reading the GNU GPL can be found at:

GPL Violations homepage - About the GNU General Public License

Last edited by DirtyD; 04-28-2012 at 08:47 PM.

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

There is another thread similar to this one. One that i started,but to me that matters not .Having Source for Mercury 2.3.6 would be great to recompile kernel to allow some added modules .
    Now the above is all Hauawei actually owes us To ask for or demand Source code for ICS is likely to get No place. I still think the kernel in the u and c models are very close with the exception of the radio MODULES.. A GOOD Kernel Developer Could SOLVE THE DATA ISSUE. But would need to have the phone.

AS FAR AS GPL . THE Manufacturer has to release the current kernel ON the DEVICE . not A UPDATE WE ARE ASKING FOR..
    GOOD LUCK...

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|
    Overall activity: 0%

Just wanted to say that you said "m866" in the email and not the "m886" lol

Sent from Oriax123's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Phone
    mercury(glory)m886

I understand they are by law required to release the code. we had to do that as a last resort for the ascend to "remid" them that there are laws in effect.

I did not realize you already had a similar post, sorry about this.

Some things i would recommend including into the messages are
    1) Mercury(glory) is the m886
    2) The page that the m886 is located on their site, so they can't say they don't know about it
    3) Under GPL android is open source and any device running it must have it's source distributed.

I would like to have anyone who participated to post a message saying you are doing so, so i have a reference to see how strong the community really is, or is becoming.

If they give you a message linking to the honor, THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY ANY MEANS. the honor may be the same phone, the the source is slightly different. we need to push them to release the cdma source.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oriax123 View Post
    Just wanted to say that you said "m866" in the email and not the "m886" lol

Sent from Oriax123's iPhone using Tapatalk

so i did . guess they will receive a 2nd email from me today, with the corrections lol

Banned

Please do not be sorry. Im not complaining about the Thread Not at all.. Just saying we can pressure them for Compilable Kernel ofor the Kernel Presently on the M886 Mercury phone. Thou i wish they would. They are liable to provide anything more. It would just be in there best interest to do so.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Phone
    mercury(glory)m886

Quote Originally Posted by ericarenee View Post
    Please do not be sorry. Im not complaining about the Thread Not at all.. Just saying we can pressure them for Compilable Kernel ofor the Kernel Presently on the M886 Mercury phone. Thou i wish they would. They are liable to provide anything more. It would just be in there best interest to do so.

Thanks for listening to me rant.
    from my understandings, they could get in serious trouble for not releasing the stock kernel. And i'm sure they know this. We've said that to them many times for the ascend's kernel to be released, still took them way to long.but i feel with enough people we can get things done without the need of reporting them, but i don't go against reporting them. If you want to, by all means do. If they plan on getting more phones in contract marketing, then they cannot pull this st00f any more.

Also messages could remind them that this sort uf st00f they are pulling could lose them clientele, I'm sure it has happened many times in the past for similar issues, as well as their weak customer service.

So that means when/if we get the kernel, then ROM development will continue?

Phone
    mercury(glory)m886

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine50 View Post
    So that means when/if we get the kernel, then ROM development will continue?
    Well, I'm sure that there are users still trying to fully port ICS to the mercury. ROM development is still going on, just mostly behind the scenes with the exception of stock replacement roms. While porting ICS w/o the source is plausible, most users are giving up as it's a very difficult task. With the source code, developers wont have as much issue, and ICS should come shortly after the soucrecode release.

the source release will most definitely speed up ICS ROM development for the mercury.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I sent in an email also since Huawei is over seas I don't think they have to follow GPL...

Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

My support

I will help

So if people reported Huawei for this, would they release the Kernel immediately?

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
    I understand they are by law required to release the code. we had to do that as a last resort for the ascend to "remid" them that there are laws in effect.

I did not realize you already had a similar post, sorry about this.

Some things i would recommend including into the messages are
    1) Mercury(glory) is the m886
    2) The page that the m886 is located on their site, so they can't say they don't know about it
    3) Under GPL android is open source and any device running it must have it's source distributed.

I would like to have anyone who participated to post a message saying you are doing so, so i have a reference to see how strong the community really is, or is becoming.

If they give you a message linking to the honor, THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE BY ANY MEANS. the honor may be the same phone, the the source is slightly different. we need to push them to release the cdma source.

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

so i did . guess they will receive a 2nd email from me today, with the corrections lol
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
    from my understandings, they could get in serious trouble for not releasing the stock kernel. And i'm sure they know this. We've said that to them many times for the ascend's kernel to be released, still took them way to long.but i feel with enough people we can get things done without the need of reporting them, but i don't go against reporting them. If you want to, by all means do. If they plan on getting more phones in contract marketing, then they cannot pull this st00f any more.

Also messages could remind them that this sort uf st00f they are pulling could lose them clientele, I'm sure it has happened many times in the past for similar issues, as well as their weak customer service.
    Playing Devil's Advocate here...

What "law" are you talking about here? Please cite the law you are referring to.
    Please also cite the agency who will enforce this law and bring "serious trouble" to Huawei if the dont release the source code for the merc.

And stuff is not spelled st00f. That makes you look stupid.
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Customer Since
    Aug 2009
    Phone
    iPhone 4

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post

What "law" are you talking about here? Please cite the law you are referring to.
    Please also cite the agency who will enforce this law and bring "serious trouble" to Huawei if the dont release the source code for the merc.

That st00f you just said was st00pid mean bruh.

Phone
    HTC Evo 3D

Quote Originally Posted by 154-4bdu114h View Post
    That st00f you just said was st00pid mean bruh.
    And you expect the Devils Advocate to be nice? Didnt you see the movie?
    ** Don't PM if you need something. I will NOT respond**
    Start a thread and let the whole forum benefit form your questions and the answers we provide.

Supporting members get free ESN changes, along with more PMs, better signatures/avatars, and more!

Phone
    mercury(glory)m886

Quote Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Please also cite the agency who will enforce this law and bring "serious trouble" to Huawei if the don't release the source code for the mercury.

GPL Violations homepage - gpl-violations.org FAQ

Is the GPL enforceable in law ?

At least in Germany, based on our own experience: yes. In recent years, there have also been successful court cases in the United States. We see no evidence to believe it is not enforceable globally.

Huawei - North America

U.S.A . Huawei Device Customer Support (United States Only) Tel: 1-888-5-HUAWEI (1-888-548-2934)
    Email: SupportUSA@huawei.com
    Hours of Operation: 7:00am - 10:00pm ( US Eastern Standard Time)
    U.S.A . Reston (Herdon) Two Fountain Square 11921 Freedom Dr, Suite700 Reston, Virginia 20190
    Tel:+1-571-926-8653
    U.S.A . Washington DC 875 15th Street, NW Suite 825 Washington, DC 20005
    Tel:+1-202-289-5090
    Fax:+1-202-289-4015 U.S.A . East Greenwich 1351 S. County Trail East Greenwich, RI 02818
    Tel:+1-401-398-2003
    Fax:+1-401-398-2004 U.S.A . Atlanta 115 Perimeter Center, Suite 318 Atlanta, GA 30346
    Tel:001-678-222-4089
    Fax:001-678-222-4101 U.S.A . Chicago 3601 Algonquin Road Rolling Meadows, IL 60008
    Tel:+1 847-818-1778
    Fax:+1 847-818-9387 U.S.A . New Jersey 400 Crossings Blvd, Suite 102 Bridgewater, NJ 08807
    Tel:+1-908-243-6680
    Fax:+1-908-243-6980 U.S.A . Louisville 11101 West 120th Avenue,Suite 290,Broomfield,CO80021
    Tel:001-720-354-3200
    U.S.A . Walnut Creek 1255 Treat Blud Suite 308 Walnut Creek CA 94507
    Tel:+1 925-472-6910
    Fax:+1 925-472-6505 U.S.A . San Diego 10180 Telesis Court, Suite 220 San Diego, CA 92121
    Tel:+1 858-882-0310
    Fax:+1 858-882-0356 U.S.A . Seattle 2800 156th Ave SE,Bellevue, WA 98007
    Tel:+1-425-644-9300
    Fax:+1-425-644-3811 U.S.A . Philadelphia 1818 Market Street. Suite 3120 Philadelphia,PA 19103
    Tel:+1-267-639-4623
    Fax:+1-267-886-8320 U.S.A . Oklahoma City 2601 NW Expressway, Suite 613E OKC,OK 73112
    Tel:+1-405-286-5247
    Fax:+1-405-286-5415 U.S.A . Kansas City 7285 W.132nd Street, Suite 200 Overland Park, KS 66213
    Tel:+1-913-322-8679
    Fax:+1-913-439-1590 U.S.A . Monroe 1900 N. 18th Street, Suite 602 Monroe, LA 71201
    Tel:+1 972-633-5017
    U.S.A . Broomfield 11101 West 120th Avenue Suite 290 Broomfield, CO 80021
    Tel:+1-720-359-2089
    U.S.A . North American Headquarters 5700 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 500, Plano, TX 75024
    Tel:+1 214-919-6000
    Fax:+1 214-919-6601
    If i'm not mistaken, those addresses are in the US right? meaning they have offices here in the US. for those who said they are an over seas company, if they have a physical location in the US then they would have to follow the US laws as well, right? I mean look at all them Chinese car dealerships, they can't sell us cars that only follow their laws.

also i did say "st00f" and i don't care if it made me look st00pidly stupid.... this post was not started for insults, it was meant to get everyone together to help get huawei to release the source code, which is under a GPL License btw.

the fact of them getting in trouble for not releasing the code was
    from my understandings
    of the GPL License. From what i understoof is if you remove the license on a modified app/code/etc under GPL License, you could have gotten in trouble for it, depending on laws within your country. And seeing as how huawei has offices in the US, they "could" have been fined. Again, this is
    from my understandings
    I have not done to much research on the consequences of using freeware under GPL and distributing while not distributing the source. But apparently there is some interesting information on
    GPL Violations homepage - The gpl-violations.org project

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanine50 View Post
    So if people reported Huawei for this, would they release the Kernel immediately?

Well, for sure not immediately, if at all. It would depend how much they would have to abide by the license in china. I do understand they have offices in the US, but im not entirely sure about what effect that has on them company as a whole. I don't do to much legal research =P.

but,
    from my understandings,
    they have to, and 'could" get in trouble not doing so.

before i get bashed on the "law" "could" ST00F:
    Even if they CAN'T get in trouble in any way shape or form, they will lose a few people who would be likely to buy their products in the future. So, event if they can't get in trouble, it would still be in their best interest to release the source code for the rom that was shipped within the mercury.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information