Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf520 View Post
    I'm having the same luck as s23bog. I'm unable to root my phone because I can't get read/write permission to the drive that has the bin and app directory in it. When I try to change the permission from clicking properties it says I can't because it's read-only. So I'm unable to cut and paste anything onto it. Also nowhere on any drives does it have the path /system/bin/ and /system/alpha system on one drive has totally different directories and data/local/tmp doesn't exist. However on one drive there's local/tmp and all three files on there. Just letting you guys know. I'd appreciate the help!
    The 12th partition is the system partition (sdc12 on my PC). I think the 13th is the data partition. I am pretty sure that I need to use fsck to recreate the /lost+found directory on sdc12, but am just waiting for confirmation that the directory exists on other systems. I suspect that somehow it got deleted when I tried another root method.

2. Remove this advertisement.

After one and a half days at trying to root this sucker I got it down pat and figured out everything you can do wrong at this.
    1. If trying to send the su busybox and superuser files on windows 7 PLEASE use the Mercury-root.zip and the windows.bat in that folder. For some reason writing the permissions was not working correctly ever tho the adb shell is installed correctly.
    2. Avoid new Ubuntu like the plague 11.10 and 11.04 have problems and will cause write protection in sudo nautilus. 10.04 LTS worked fine
    3. If you use Wubi becareful that it isn't loading new ubuntu because it will. You need the wubi.exe for 10.04
    4. System/app and System/bin are not the folders that will show up so donot create the folders like I did lol. If you create a app folder in system folder and put superuser it WILL load but it will not have Super User ability. There is a partion on the phone that has app and bin folders and no system folder. This is the right folder. The only way to write to this folder is using ubuntu 10.04 LTS and typing sudo nautilus to open the root access file manager.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Harris View Post
    After one and a half days at trying to root this sucker I got it down pat and figured out everything you can do wrong at this.
    1. If trying to send the su busybox and superuser files on windows 7 PLEASE use the Mercury-root.zip and the windows.bat in that folder. For some reason writing the permissions was not working correctly ever tho the adb shell is installed correctly.
    2. Avoid new Ubuntu like the plague 11.10 and 11.04 have problems and will cause write protection in sudo nautilus. 10.04 LTS worked fine
    3. If you use Wubi becareful that it isn't loading new ubuntu because it will. You need the wubi.exe for 10.04
    4. System/app and System/bin are not the folders that will show up so donot create the folders like I did lol. If you create a app folder in system folder and put superuser it WILL load but it will not have Super User ability. There is a partion on the phone that has app and bin folders and no system folder. This is the right folder. The only way to write to this folder is using ubuntu 10.04 LTS and typing sudo nautilus to open the root access file manager.

Hope this helps
    Good call! I used 10.04 Ubuntu instead and I was able to paste the files into the directories. Except when did this and the files are in the right directories my phone still isn't rooted. I have no idea now why this is.

Edit
    ----------------
    Ok after I redid the adb commands and everything I now have a superuser icon on my apps menu. However it denies ever app trying to get superuser access. I'll update if I fix it.
    Last edited by papasmurf520; 12-29-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Customer Since
    July 2009
    Phone
    SSG s4 (jfltecri)

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04. When I try to adb to the phone, it says no permissions allowed. So I have to adb through Ubuntu 11.10. Chmod the permission(s). I even tried to chmod through standard terminal, to no avail. I did boot the USB stick I put 10.04 on. I did get r/w access to all the partitions after enter sudo nautilus in a terminal window. So, technically that's a way to get to the partitions to remove the bloat (which I did). But after putting su/busybox in the bin folder, and superuser in app folder. They show up, in apps, and you can transmit the su command, but nothing happens. When installing Root Explorer, no root access is ever granted. So phone is not rooted. So I went into terminal on phone, and chmod the files, (permission not allowed). So I think I have put all that has happened to me in here, So , my phone has all the JUNK off of it, but I still can't ROOT . . .

Hope this helps . . .

P.S. I never could get the correct drivers set in Win7, that's why I do everything in linux, no additional anything, finds the phone everytime.
    Last edited by Cthulhu336; 12-29-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu336 View Post
    I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04. When I try to adb to the phone, it says no permissions allowed. So I have to adb through Ubuntu 11.10. Chmod the permission(s). I even tried to chmod through standard terminal, to no avail. I did boot the USB stick I put 10.04 on. I did get r/w access to all the partitions after enter sudo nautilus in a terminal window. So, technically that's a way to get to the partitions to remove the bloat (which I did). But after putting su/busybox in the bin folder, and superuser in app folder. They show up, in apps, and you can transmit the su command, but nothing happens. When installing Root Explorer, no root access is ever granted. So phone is not rooted. So I went into terminal on phone, and chmod the files, (permission not allowed). So I think I have put all that has happened to me in here, So , my phone has all the JUNK off of it, but I still can't ROOT . . .

Hope this helps . . .

P.S. I never could get the correct drivers set in Win7, that's why I do everything in linux, no additional anything, finds the phone everytime.
    Ah ok. Well if you're saying that you eventually got the SuperUser icon to show up on your app menu but it's only denying root access then I'm having the exact same problem.

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Thanks, Derrick. 10.04 worked for me.

I still find it odd that there is not lost+found directory under /system; but I looked at my Zio and found no lost+found either. I guess it is so that some options are not allowed with the filesystem (perhaps journaling, or something). This probably causes problems with newer versions of Linux (perhaps just mount) that default to read-only when those options are not available.

Also noted that Astro was unable to write to the partition (mount showed rw). I suspect it is for the same reason. Anybody know why there is no lost+found, and what the repercussions of not having that directory are?

Oh...just recalled that the Zio is squashfs, so it makes sense that there is no lost+found on that.

For papa smurf and cthulhu even if you get superuser on the phone doesn't mean its rooted. What you guys are doing wrong is your trying to write the permissions yourself. Stop using adb commands and look on page one
    Mercury-Root.zip

. In this file there is a win version and a linux batch that will write the for you. You can't just copy and paste. Thats why the guide tells you to send it to the phone first.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick Harris View Post
    For papa smurf and cthulhu even if you get superuser on the phone doesn't mean its rooted. What you guys are doing wrong is your trying to write the permissions yourself. Stop using adb commands and look on page one
    Mercury-Root.zip

. In this file there is a win version and a linux batch that will write the for you. You can't just copy and paste. Thats why the guide tells you to send it to the phone first.
    I used the batch file. I'm not sure what you mean by copy and pasting. Copying and pasting the adb commands? I've tried both approaches. The batch file seemed to at least get the superuser icon on there.

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

You are having trouble moving the files using Linux, correct?

Are you absolutely sure you are using Ubuntu 10.04, and not 11.04?

If so, please post the results of the mount command.

Quote Originally Posted by s23bog View Post
    You are having trouble moving the files using Linux, correct?

Are you absolutely sure you are using Ubuntu 10.04, and no 11.04?

If so, please post the results of the mount command.
    No. I'm using 10.04. I can cut and paste the files over to the right directory. the problem is even though superuser appears to be on my phone it only denies root access when I'm trying to access root. however when i plug in the phone to the computer and type in the command "adb shell" and then su a small message on my phone that root access was given. My superuser app isn't working.

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

How about

ls -l /system/bin/su
    ls -l /system/bin/busybox
    ls -l /system/app/Superuser.apk

How about

ls -l /system/bin/su
    ls -l /system/bin/busybox
    ls -l /system/app/Superuser.apk
    if i type in any of those when I open up terminal I get...
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /system/bin/su
    ls: cannot access /system/bin/su: No such file or directory

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Then apparently you haven't moved the files to the proper directory. The su and busybox should be placed in the /bin directory on the 12th partition (/system) and Superuser.apk needs to go in the /app directory of the same partition.

If, while booted into Linux, you run the mount command, you can see which is the 12th. Or, just browse through them and find the partition with /bin and /app.

Oh, wait...did you do ls -l /system/bin/su under Linux, or on the actual phone? If under Linux, you need to navigate to the /system partition in the terminal and do

ls -l bin/su
    ls -l bin/busybox
    ls -l app/Superuser.apk
    Last edited by s23bog; 12-31-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Then apparently you haven't moved the files to the proper directory. The su and busybox should be placed in the /bin directory on the 12th partition (/system) and Superuser.apk needs to go in the /app directory of the same partition.

If, while booted into Linux, you run the mount command, you can see which is the 12th. Or, just browse through them and find the partition with /bin and /app.

Oh, wait...did you do ls -l /system/bin/su under Linux, or on the actual phone? If under Linux, you need to navigate to the /system partition in the terminal and do

ls -l bin/su
    ls -l bin/busybox
    ls -l app/Superuser.apk
    cd system doesn't work. How do you navigate to the partition?

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

If you copy/paste the output of mount, I can tell you.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information