Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 LastLast
    Overall activity: 0%

You looking for ICS is 4.0.3 or CyanogenMod 10.1

CrIcKeT Gs3 On Cm10.1

2. Remove this advertisement.

Quote Originally Posted by dazeone View Post
    You looking for ICS is 4.0.3 or CyanogenMod 10.1

CrIcKeT Gs3 On Cm10.1
    you might mislead him with the whole cyanogen mod 10 thing just to make it clear cyanogenmod is jellybean 4.1.2

thank you oriax

Customer Since
    Apr 2007
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Question Android System Architecture Clarification

Thanks Oriax! You're AWESOME!!

If I may ask some clarifying questions on how all this works. From what I understand there are essentially three essential components to unlocking and customizing an Android device. I would appreciate confirmation on my understanding as follows:
    1. recovery.img - analogous to the BIOS on a computer and allows recovery and a factory reset even if the phone is bricked.
    2. superuser - provides root access just as like in Linux.
    3. ROM - the firmware for the device, i.e. Android version as well as device drivers for wifi, sensors, camera, etc.

So far, I've successfully completed the first two steps, and am anxious to install ICS or some other, but my final question is how can I backup my factory ROM before doing so?

On the pink screen, while connected to my PC, I downloaded the "image" folder (the only directory on the device while in this mode) which included the following files:
    • amss.mbn
    • boot.img
    • cust.img
    • EMMCBOOT.MBN
    • recovery.img

Is this all that is needed to reset my phone to factory, or is there something else I need to do to backup my ROM?

Overall activity: 1.0%

Quote Originally Posted by phunky View Post
    Thanks Oriax! You're AWESOME!!

If I may ask some clarifying questions on how all this works. From what I understand there are essentially three essential components to unlocking and customizing an Android device. I would appreciate confirmation on my understanding as follows:
    1. recovery.img - analogous to the BIOS on a computer and allows recovery and a factory reset even if the phone is bricked.
    2. superuser - provides root access just as like in Linux.
    3. ROM - the firmware for the device, i.e. Android version as well as device drivers for wifi, sensors, camera, etc.

So far, I've successfully completed the first two steps, and am anxious to install ICS or some other, but my final question is how can I backup my factory ROM before doing so?

On the pink screen, while connected to my PC, I downloaded the "image" folder (the only directory on the device while in this mode) which included the following files:
    • amss.mbn
    • boot.img
    • cust.img
    • EMMCBOOT.MBN
    • recovery.img

Is this all that is needed to reset my phone to factory, or is there something else I need to do to backup my ROM?
    That's the gist of it. In order to make a backup, you need to flash a custom recovery. From there you can make and restore backups, as well as other things.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Guys i need some help. I want to root my Mercury and its my first root so i dont know what to do at all.... help please

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I went onto youtube and types mercury root and followed the directions. Research it though I didn't reaserch it first time and bricked my shit.

Sent from my ADR3010 using Tapatalk 2

ive been researching and im just confused. how to get the Custom recovery and all the root stuff ;/

Quote Originally Posted by D2_WAVYEE View Post
    ive been researching and im just confused. how to get the Custom recovery and all the root stuff ;/
    Its all in the first post bro

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Hey bro pick my boy Salas brain his the one who was able to unbrick my phone, but I went out and got a new one instead of waiting for it. His someone who knows his shot and trust bro.

Sent from my ADR3010 using Tapatalk 2

Do a Google search for Poot debug. Dowload it and run it. *bam* you're rooted. Then download ROM Manager and install CWM. *BOOM* You're done...

Overall activity: 3.0%

Customer Since
    Apr 2013

HELP for a total noob

Well, my tinkering around trying to root my M886 last night which was incomplete has finally led to disaster. I currently have my M886 connected to my laptop (running off a Mint Live CD) and have a USB drive inserted that has the original file I replaced to root the phone. In my 2 or 3 posts early this morning, I had trouble following directions and, hence, poor results.

I am hoping experienced users might see what a dilemma I am in and offer some compassionate advice, which shouldn't be too complicated but, then again, I did screw up a perfectly straight forward root process. I did make some posts to this board about the Root Checker Pro results of my unsuccessful rooting attempts.

However, tonight I am really screwed as my phone went bad. Currently, I have it attached to my laptop (booted from a Mint Live CD) with a USB drive that has my original file that I replaced last night. i booted it into recovery mode and there are those CWM-based Recovery options for v5.0.2.7

-reboot system now
    -apply update from sdcard
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -install zip from sdcard
    -backup and restore
    -mounts and storage
    -advanced
    -power off.

i don't mean to bother people here, especially since I am SO NEW to this but very enthusiastic to be so. I have to go to work early and didn't get much rest last night as I am nursing an injured ankle. But if anyone could even point me in the right direction to a resource that might suit my urgent needs, I will be forever grateful! Is there any way I could broadcast this to the active visitors online to see if any of them can easily tell me what to do?

I will be patiently standing by and surfing a few other options. I really hope to hear from any of you even if it's just a referral to another website or resource. Thanks in advance for any consideration you give this request! and if anyone wants to put this message where it would be more useful to me, please do so but let me know where to expect to find the feedback.

Thanks in advance to each and every one of you who took the time to read about such an amateur stunt. But for anyone who does more than simply read my post, you are an angel!

Keeping my fingers crossed and holding my breath!!
    Jason

Kindest Regards,
    Jason

################################################## ##############################
    Folder : Inbox
    ################################################## ##############################

Quote Originally Posted by jasonedwardkirk View Post
    Well, my tinkering around trying to root my M886 last night which was incomplete has finally led to disaster. I currently have my M886 connected to my laptop (running off a Mint Live CD) and have a USB drive inserted that has the original file I replaced to root the phone. In my 2 or 3 posts early this morning, I had trouble following directions and, hence, poor results.

I am hoping experienced users might see what a dilemma I am in and offer some compassionate advice, which shouldn't be too complicated but, then again, I did screw up a perfectly straight forward root process. I did make some posts to this board about the Root Checker Pro results of my unsuccessful rooting attempts.

However, tonight I am really screwed as my phone went bad. Currently, I have it attached to my laptop (booted from a Mint Live CD) with a USB drive that has my original file that I replaced last night. i booted it into recovery mode and there are those CWM-based Recovery options for v5.0.2.7

-reboot system now
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -install zip from sdcard
    -backup and restore
    -mounts and storage
    -advanced
    -power off.

i don't mean to bother people here, especially since I am SO NEW to this but very enthusiastic to be so. I have to go to work early and didn't get much rest last night as I am nursing an injured ankle. But if anyone could even point me in the right direction to a resource that might suit my urgent needs, I will be forever grateful! Is there any way I could broadcast this to the active visitors online to see if any of them can easily tell me what to do?

I will be patiently standing by and surfing a few other options. I really hope to hear from any of you even if it's just a referral to another website or resource. Thanks in advance for any consideration you give this request! and if anyone wants to put this message where it would be more useful to me, please do so but let me know where to expect to find the feedback.

Thanks in advance to each and every one of you who took the time to read about such an amateur stunt. But for anyone who does more than simply read my post, you are an angel!

Jason

Kindest Regards,
    Jason

This is exactly what I did the last time I rooted this phone... Unless things have changed, it should work for you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Can0dope View Post
    Do a Google search for Poot debug. Dowload it and run it. *bam* you're rooted. Then download ROM Manager and install CWM. *BOOM* You're done...

Customer Since
    03/2011
    Phone
    Chelsea S III

Quote Originally Posted by jasonedwardkirk View Post

-reboot system now
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -install zip from sdcard
    -backup and restore
    -mounts and storage
    -advanced
    -power off.

Jason

Kindest Regards,
    Jason

Was this issue solved?

Overall activity: 2.0%

Customer Since
    Aug 2012

I have installed the superuser and follow the steps in post...how does this app work? I'm new to this and trying to figure out how I can screen shot from my Huawei mercury...does anyone have ideas or suggestions? Thank you

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 LastLast

Thread Information