Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Overall activity: 8.0%

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I've noticed that the "GO Dev" apps like launcher lag a little bit on this phone. And WTH Modern Combat 3 isn't compatible with this phone???

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

I had a Samsung Transfix before getting a Mercury, I was a little hesitant making the switch to a brand Ive never used being the last 3 phones I owned were all Samsung, but so far the Mercury is great I only have a couple concerns:

1. Audio quality when playing back recorded videos is very poor, When looking at the files on PC it turns out the Mercury records audio in AMR narrow band format which is a low quality codec with a very limited frequency range. Perhaps this can be changed on a rooted device? I'm fairly new to Android so not sure what can or cant be changed.

2. I notice a slight stutter in animations & scrolling when playing most games, For example in Doodle Jump the screen doesn't scroll silky smooth like it did on my Transfix, instead there's a persistent but minor "stutter" effect as you progress upwards, also stutter or choppiness in animation is seen in Fruit Ninja as the fruit moves around the screen, When firing aliens in Shoot the Apple the same stutter effect is seen as the aliens fly through the air, This doesn't appear to be a CPU issue as the phone scores much higher in benchmarks than my Transfix did.

I don't know if this has any relation to stutter but the Mercury's refresh rate is set at 55 Hz which seems odd to me (shouldn't it be 60Hz?), Unfortunately I never checked the refresh rate on my Transfix so I'm not sure how normal this is for Android phones. (You can check refresh rate in the benchmark Quadrant Standard which I got from the android market, run it and select System Information).

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post
    I had a Samsung Transfix before getting a Mercury, I was a little hesitant making the switch to a brand Ive never used being the last 3 phones I owned were all Samsung, but so far the Mercury is great I only have a couple concerns:

1. Audio quality when playing back recorded videos is very poor, When looking at the files on PC it turns out the Mercury records audio in AMR narrow band format which is a low quality codec with a very limited frequency range. Perhaps this can be changed on a rooted device? I'm fairly new to Android so not sure what can or cant be changed.

2. I notice a slight stutter in animations & scrolling when playing most games, For example in Doodle Jump the screen doesn't scroll silky smooth like it did on my Transfix, instead there's a persistent but minor "stutter" effect as you progress upwards, also stutter or choppiness in animation is seen in Fruit Ninja as the fruit moves around the screen, When firing aliens in Shoot the Apple the same stutter effect is seen as the aliens fly through the air, This doesn't appear to be a CPU issue as the phone scores much higher in benchmarks than my Transfix did.

I don't know if this has any relation to stutter but the Mercury's refresh rate is set at 55 Hz which seems odd to me (shouldn't it be 60Hz?), Unfortunately I never checked the refresh rate on my Transfix so I'm not sure how normal this is for Android phones. (You can check refresh rate in the benchmark Quadrant Standard which I got from the android market, run it and select System Information).
    You have a download link for this codec? I'm going to look in a second, but I have a lot of codecs installed and could not play this back the video on either of my computers.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

Customer Since
    Phone
    Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    You have a download link for this codec? I'm going to look in a second, but I have a lot of codecs installed and could not play this back the video on either of my computers.
    I use VLC media player which seems to play just about anything you throw at it without having to install any codecs (including amr audio), Link:
    VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

Jumpmaster
    Customer Since
    Sept 2010
    Phone
    Note 3 / Galaxy S5

I thought I had VLC installed already. It'll play the sound there, but I can't open it in Windows Media Player or Sony Vegas.

Oh well. Thanks! I'll look for additional codecs later.
    Please check the forum and post there before PMing me. I have over 674 unread PMs due to the fact that they are issues which should have been addressed here.

If you need to buy something from (Ebay), please use this LINK every time and support the forum!

I love my phone. I switched from Sprint with the Samsung Epic to Cricket Huawei Mercury and I love this phone. The battery life lasts about 24 hrs, while my epic only gave me 5 tops. I have rarely had a force closed and the phone is very fast. I only wish they had a camera button on phone and the battery cover was easier to take off. I put a 32 gb sd card in my phone and it has already replaced my ipod touch

It's life, live it!
    Customer Since
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by jelous87 View Post
    So your dl'ed apps don't move around? Are you sure you are even noticing. Not the stock apps that came with the phone but any that you have dl'ed from the market. As for pic storage, there is the option to have info stored on the internal memory or external or let the system decide. If dl'ing any pics from mms, they dl right to your SD card unless you don't have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by s23bog View Post
    I have noticed that when I install apps, sometimes apps get pushed onto the next page. Not really sure what determines the initial placement of apps. Have not noticed them randomly moving when I turn off the phone.
    I hate the way the app drawer works.... It pushes all downloaded app to the the end of the drawer AND in the order they were downloaded. I wish it would alphabetize all the apps like the Samsung Galaxy series devices do.... Except the Indulge, it does the same thing....

Battery life has been great so long as I am not using Beejive in the background.... I am a VERY heavy user, almost 180 to 240 minutes of actual talk time a day and it has worked perfectly for me over the last few days! I still have battery left over for more. This does not count streaming Netflix, as I do over lunch, or general web surfing....
    Last edited by short6in; 01-05-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

No camera button. It's not too big of a deal though.

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf520 View Post
    No camera button. It's not too big of a deal though.
    I love that it has no camera button. Was always accidentally hitting it on my zio. Made several half-hearted attempts to disable it and eventually just lived with it.

I love that it has no camera button. Was always accidentally hitting it on my zio. Made several half-hearted attempts to disable it and eventually just lived with it.
    I had one on my lg optimus C. You hold it down for a sec in-order to activate it. For exactly the same reason you stated most likely.

Customer Since
    4/2008
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by papasmurf520 View Post
    I had one on my lg optimus C. You hold it down for a sec in-order to activate it. For exactly the same reason you stated most likely.

Have to hold down the button on the Zio for a few seconds too to launch the camera; but I still wound doing it several times a day (at the most inopportune times).

Eventually, shaved off a bit of my case over the button. That seemed to help a bit.

I posted near the beginning of this thread, that I was having trouble with Google Voice Search not picking up sound sometimes. I have removed Huawei's Voice Dial app, and have been using Vlingo, but just had the same problem again today.

I suppose it may be a problem with the drivers for either bluetooth or the microphone. Hopefully that will get fixed.

Have to hold down the button on the Zio for a few seconds too to launch the camera; but I still wound doing it several times a day (at the most inopportune times).

Eventually, shaved off a bit of my case over the button. That seemed to help a bit.

I posted near the beginning of this thread, that I was having trouble with Google Voice Search not picking up sound sometimes. I have removed Huawei's Voice Dial app, and have been using Vlingo, but just had the same problem again today.

I suppose it may be a problem with the drivers for either bluetooth or the microphone. Hopefully that will get fixed.
    Hmmm I don't really use google voice search but that's interesting. Do you ever get a problem being located with Google Maps sometimes too? Or is that normal?

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Ad2

Quote Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
    I thought I had VLC installed already. It'll play the sound there, but I can't open it in Windows Media Player or Sony Vegas.

Oh well. Thanks! I'll look for additional codecs later.
    You could try this (I haven't yet);

Mobile Media Converter

I am in the midst of seeing if I can get the video/audio conversion up and running with VirtualDub. (Although it sucks to have to add an additional step to the process to be able to share your videos) Kinda disturbing that they didn't just liscense a more all around compatible format, but I am sure that Huawei's choice was cost per unit based...

Phone
    Samsung Indulge

I am having data connection problems. More than I have EVER had with Cricket. That is my only issue with this phone.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Customer Since
    Oct 2010
    Phone
    HTC One V

Ah. I love it, it's a BIG upgrade from the Ascend I. But it really irritates me that the pictures and videos don't save to SD. I know someone probably mentioned it already, but is there a way to make it save to SD?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information