Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Overall activity: 46.0%

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Apps - Performance, compatibility, capability and usability.

The reason i am starting this thread is for us to recommend to eachother some apps that we use on a daily basis. Some apps are more viable than others for daily usage to make tasking and reliability of our merc easier and more fluid on a day to day basis. In this thread i would like everyone to post what apps they use. Note if they make your device run hot or drain more battery than usual. Also include facts about wether or not we can add them into the ROM section of our roms to save on userspace which is very valuable in our cases seeing as how we are indeed running a Linux based OS it uses the internal 2GB partition as well as the external SD card as swap space/Virtual memory. Let everyone know if the apps we use run smoothly or if there are a few issues. Also inform us if they are open sourced or closed source as it could even indeed cause a big impact such as not being able to get updates later on down the line for further stability. Let's get us a good list of apps going that we could make good use of - these include. Telephony, SMS/MMS, Video, Audio, Games, Office based applications, Camera/photography, video messaging - some people prefer to have these for social meetings, social apps - Facebook, Twitter, Gwibber. Let us toss together a list of what all we can and see if we can get a "Community Rom" put together that is based off of the Cricketusers that are stcuk currently with a Mercury and want to have something a bit better to run. Also post which ROM/Kernel you are using and wether or not you are OC'd on your CPU/GPU as these also cause a performance impact on alot of people in the outcome as well. I myself am going to be testing with complete STOCK, no OC or anything. I will be slapping random apps into my rom section to check the stability and performance of the setup. Good luck and have fun guys.

Also as a request to all active perticipants and merc users. Please for the love of god. Make a dropbox account and slap links to apps that are not available on Google play or inform us wether or not they are available on a third party host such as Aptoide. I HIGHLY recommend everyone install aptoide as a community effort. It is a very good third party app market with teh capability to add more app markets within itself to make shopping easier. And post what market you get your apps from please, this will lighten the load of searching the internet and relieve stress on a few of the people helping test as well. Thank you again everyone.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

I am going to start off adding classic game emulation apps to the list seeing as how we have a powerful device capable of high end emulation of classic consoles. =D All of these are available for download on Google Play or even on www.aptoide.com/.

Super nintendo = Snes9xEX - Plays with very high framerate at a constant 60hz registered, minimal battery drain, no overheating on the phone at all.

Sony Playstation = Epsxe - Plays with a constant 60 FPS extremely smooth even compared to the original console and PC versions it is smoother than those as well, high game compatibility and low battery drain. Moderate to medium heat levels due to high CPU power needed.

Gameboy Advance = Gameboid or GBA.emu, both are a good choice. GBA.emu gives a good set of visual overlays to your visuals such as T.V. mode and classic CRT monitor skinning. Very little battery usage, no heat build up as far as i can tell.

Sega Genesis = This one is alittle hard to recommend as there are two available on the market with varying properties. 1 is Gensoid which is free and plays any and every Sega Genesis game. The other is MD.emu which supports Genesis, megadrive and SegaCD games all in one. If you prefer SegaCD then the choice is very minimal. These emulators run at full speed with very little battery usage and heat build up. They are highly recommended for any classic gamer.

Nintendo 64 = N64oid is the only way to go. It has moderate battery usage and low heat but is the only N64 emulator i have found to be stable and run full speed in most cases there are a few cases that i had it run choppy or had issue with it, not many though.

Nintendo/NES = Classic Nintendo gaming at it's finest. Nesoid is probably your best route on this one since it is a free emulator. There is not really and type of high end requirements to this emulator since it required so very very little to run it to begin with. Battery usage and heat build up are so low it is ridiculous and is a must have.

Last but not least. You need some way to play these games in a relaxing manner correct? Get Sixaxis. I am not going to recommend any specific ways to get your hands on it but there are free methods on doing so. This will let you sync a Playstation 3 Sixaxis controller with your phones bluetooth and allow for some really good gaming, with out dual touch capable screens, touch screen input methods work very well. Or you could even tell the app to map hardware based keys on the controller itself to bind to gaming keys in all of these emulators.
    Last edited by biledigger; 03-04-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Additional information/request

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Galaxy Admire 2

Daily i use fast reboot to keep my phone speedy without having alot of apps open, i use screenshot er for my screenshots, i use app to sd so that i wont run up too much space, i use next launcher, i use Waze for navigation, and i use no-frills cpu control for my overclock because its a small size app

Overall activity: 1.0%

Customer Since
    Nov 2010
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I normally use Rom Toolbox since it can customize pretty much anything from icons to boot animations and fonts. I also used to freeze apps I do not like such as live wallpapers and such. I would not recommend doing that though since I believe that it consumes a good amount of ram so don't use it to freeze apps. Other than that is is great.

For emulation I stick with Gameboid(for GBA games) but I believe it was removed from the market. It runs good and everything, but it does not include cheat codes. I got it months ago so I am not sure where to get it now.

For music I use Noozy since it has some beautiful sound, you can find it on XDA since it was removed from the market. Someone also themed up the DSP Manager to make it look like beats audio. I highly recommend it since it adds great sound and uses little to no ram at all. You can also find it on XDA.

Customer Since
    Sept 2012
    Phone
    Mercury ICS

First off, thanks for starting a post like this biledigger! I'm sure we can all get good use out of this. I will check out "aptoide". I guess I use no-frills CPU on boot. I keep my Merc at 3**-1900mhz thanks to P.G. I use "Rom Toolbox" for alot of different things like, startup manager, root browser, but I've noticed using memory management on there doesn't have positive affects. I've noticed my Merc does get real hot when plugged in and using stock & opra mini browser's. I'm real interested in hearing what noozy worked for you, I'm on Trooper 2 and tried a modified noozy from xda, but it didn't work....Thanks for all info, it's how WE learn!

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Seems like a good thread, but yeah.
    1. Advanced Task Killer Pro, to close any running apps.
    2. App Cache Cleaner Pro, I think the name says it all.
    3. Blackmart, I also use Aptoide but I prefer this one at times.
    4. SwypePad, for quick launch.
    5. Rom Toolbox Pro, for all the tools it has.
    6. SMS Popup for custom SMS notification and led light

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Imma toss in here some different home launchers for every one to try and test. First and forth most in my list is called Lewa Home. It is a smooth running launcher that uses 9-25 mb of ram with a smooth unique interface. 2nd launcher in my list is the Xperia arc launcher. There are multiple versions of this launcher designed for different resolutions and user based requirements. I personally use the 854 resolution version titled quick corners. These launchers use anywhere from 9-26 mb of ram. Last launcher recommendation is spb shell. A badass launcher that works fluidly on both phones and tablets. It uses your gpu for graphical enhancement and slicker than snot on a doorknob smoothness. Sadly this launcher uses 60 whopping megs of ram. But with all its additions it is well worth it. The first 2 launchers can be embedded into your rom section while spb sadly can not.
    Last edited by biledigger; 03-05-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: god i have alot of typos.

Customer Since
    Nov 2010
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Did you say Blackmart? I thought it got taken down since I can't access it. And I got Noozy and it works perfectly. I'll upload it and provide the link in case anyone needs it.

Customer Since
    Sept 2012
    Phone
    Mercury ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Raptorkz View Post
    Did you say Blackmart? I thought it got taken down since I can't access it. And I got Noozy and it works perfectly. I'll upload it and provide the link in case anyone needs it.
    That would be awesome bro, are you on stock rom or Trooper?
    And thanks for the launcher recommendations, I will have to try them. What's the best way to replace a launcher, do I want to delete old one and place new one in system apps?

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Always stay one step ahead of yourself when tangling with your rom sector. Make a nandroid backup before removing any stock apps. For sysapp removal I suggest root uninstaller by dohkoos. For adding and moving upgraded apps into your rom sector I suggest apps2rom. Be sure to have busybox installed as a main proprietary note for any type of root usage. Busybox is a must have requirement for any root user. "Btw. You do not have to delete your old launcher. Just choose to use the new one and reboot your device to clear the ram your previous launcher was using."
    Last edited by biledigger; 03-05-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: extra info

Customer Since
    Sept 2012
    Phone
    Mercury ICS

Thanks B.D. I will try that when I'm feeling better. I just thought it was smart to get rid of old launcher just to free up system memory. Also, can I get the same outcomes with Rom Toolbox or Titanium Backup as far as removal and moving apps?

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I'm sure you could. It is all about preference really. I keep a copy of apps2rom on my internal sd card since it is a small and light weight app. I also plan on zipping and uploading everything I use on dropbox. Btw everyone. What is your preferred file browser? I personally find it very hard to steer away from the stock file manager with its default directories for internal and external management for your storages along with its built in management for zip files.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

ONE BIG TIP!!! Everyone i have talked to with a rooted device has talked to me about certain issues they have been dealing with. They are all related to Superuser...... The original Superuser app seems to have a bit of an issue with a memory leak every now and then. Not sure what is causing it. My suggestion to everyone is to install SuperSU. It is a tad bit bigger in file size not by very much. But has alot more capabilities. It also has not had the previously mentioned memory leak that Superuser has shown in the past. I would recommend everyone get SuperSU version 0.99. If they cannot find it i will upload it to dropbox A.S.A.P. The only reason i recommend this specific root controller is due to the fact it uses a very very low amount of ram compared to Superusers multi tasking capabilities for various apps. Once Superuser is activated in one app and that app is closed. Superuser stays running in the background for that apps runtime ID. Sadly they have not fixxed this yet. It causes alot of issue. I even noticed a massive change in phone speed and ram usage after changing to SuperSU. All you have to do is install SuperSU and give it root permissions. Then go back into your main system with some sort of root uninstalling based application. Like i mentioned before "Root Uninstaller" by Dohkoos was my choice for dealing with these kinds of issues. You should see a big performance difference in almost all cases of everyday usage with the change of the root controller app. I cannot and absolutely will not suggest using any version above 0.99 as i have never upgraded mine to the newer version due to being scared that they might have developed issues. I will upload a copy of my 0.99 installation tonight though.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Here is a zip of some of the system utilities i use along with the launchers i have previously mentioned.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxz23v6irf...software.zip?m

Customer Since
    Nov 2010
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

Here is the Noozy app for music in case anyone wants it. It has some beautiful sound and stuff.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4u0ck2bq6stm65/app.dogsbark.noozxoidelabs.noozy_3.0.2.3.apk

Overall activity: 7.0%

Biledigger- the latest versions of supersu have the same kind of memory leak issues as original su. I have noticed this with es file explorer, ram manager, and rom toolbox. The weird thing is that turning on usb debugging stops ram from filling up.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information