Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Cricket Huawei Glory (first dual core Cricket Android phone?)

Cricket has been coming out with low and mid range Android devices up till this time. It looks like they might have a solid performer in the works though.

From
    PCMag

:

0-1425-i%3D262031-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262023-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262028-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262027-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262024-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262025-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262026-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262030-sz%3D1-00.jpg0-1425-i%3D262029-sz%3D1-00.jpg

SHENZHEN, CHINA—How much would you want to pay for a 1.4-GHz Android smartphone with a 4-inch, 854-by-480 screen, 8-megapixel camera, and the Gingerbread OS upgradeable to Ice Cream Sandwich? How about under $300 pre-paid?

Huawei and Cricket Wireless are bringing a potentially scorching combination of
    price

and performance to the U.S. later this year with the Glory (Huawei M886), a high-quality smartphone with top-of-the-line specs.

Huawei is best-known right now for the
    Ascend

, an inexpensive Android
    phone

that's been a big hit at Cricket and MetroPCS. The two carriers have sold about two million Ascend phones between them, company execs told me here at Huawei's Shenzhen headquarters on Monday. The company started breaking out from cheap into classy with the U9000, a good-looking,
    mid-range Android phone

announced at this year's CES.
    More

The Ascend's selling point was price; the Glory, which is coming out with Cricket this November, also brings
    performance

. Huawei let me handle a pre-production model to get an idea of its build and capabilities.

The Glory is yet another glossy bar-style smartphone. It has one interesting design touch: the back has a layer of clear plastic over a white base, giving it a sort of 3D look. The phone is smooth in the hand, and feels like it's made of quality plastic, with a glass screen. Although it's only 9.7mm thick, it doesn't feel very slim because of its squarish edges.

The TFT LCD screen is unusually bright. It actually bled light through the touch buttons at the bottom of the phone, a problem that Huawei said will be fixed in final units. But the bright screen also means it's viewable outdoors.

The Glory runs Android 2.3.3 on a 1.4-GHz Qualcomm MSM8655T processor. Huawei says this is a dual-core chipset, but Qualcomm's spec for the 8655T says that part is single-core; I'm still trying to work out what's really going on here. In any case, it's very, very fast. Huawei packed in an unusually large 1900 mAh battery to satisfy the demands of the high-end processor and bright screen.

Huawei has hacked Android somewhat, but fortunately not that much. There's a custom email widget. You can customize the home screen transitions to do things like rotate a 3D cube. There's a custom music player with colored backgrounds. You'll be able to rearrange the icons in the app drawer like you can on an iPhone. But the skin isn't nearly as heavy as, say, Samsung's TouchWiz.

The skin won't stop
    upgrades

, either. As a late-2011 phone, Huawei told me, this will be upgradeable to Android 4.0, otherwise known as "Ice Cream Sandwich," in 2012.

Other specs: the Glory has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS (of course), along with an 8-megapixel, autofocus camera with LED flash, 2GB of memory along with a memory card slot, and oddly, EVDO Rev. B, although it will ship with Rev. A on Cricket in the U.S. market. One downer: there's no TV or HDMI out, though a Huawei rep told me they were working on a "surprising" media solution that wasn't ready to show yet.

Huawei wants to ship five million smartphones in the U.S. this year, and it plans to release half a dozen models. The Glory is expensive for a pre-paid phone, but if it works well, it could really raise Huawei's profile.

I'll have more reports from Shenzhen throughout the week, unless the jetlag gets to me.

Cricket Users' Free Android App - Read, post, and more from your Android device!

Find a phone to flash to Cricket!

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Overall activity: 0%

It's nice to see Cricket is getting another Android phone!

We heard that Cricket is getting the Huawei Ascend 2, the Huawei X5, and now this phone, the Huawei Glory. I wonder what other Android phones Cricket will be coming out with..

I like this phone, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $299 for a phone. I got my last phone for around $100, the Huawei Ascend, and I don't think I'd want to spend too much more on my next phone. Hopefully I'll find a good phone for around $150. I wonder what the Huawei X5's price will be..

Quote Originally Posted by MCF-News View Post
    One downer: there's no TV or HDMI out, though a Huawei rep told me they were working on a "surprising" media solution that wasn't ready to show yet.
    I read that it might be MHL or DLNA. According to the quote above though, a Huawei rep said they were working on a "surprising" media solution. What do you think might be "surprising" about it? Do you think it's possible Huawei is working on their own thing, and they're not going to just be using MHL or DLNA?

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

Quote Originally Posted by avenue View Post
    I read that it might be MHL or DLNA. According to the quote above though What do you think might be "surprising" about it? Do you think it's possible Huawei is working on their own thing, and they're not goXing to just be using MHL or DLNA?
    since they said it was going to be a surprise, I bet they're going to come up with something of their own

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien90 View Post
    since they said it was going to be a surprise, I bet they're going to come up with something of their own
    Yeah, that's possible. I hope it's wireless whatever it is. I'd like to connect my phone to my HDTV wirelessly by connecting a USB receiver to my TV or something. If they do something like that I hope they include everything needed to make it work.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

Yeah, that's possible. I hope it's wireless whatever it is. I'd like to connect my phone to my HDTV wirelessly by connecting a USB receiver to my TV or something. If they do something like that I hope they include everything needed to make it work.
    From all the reviews that I've read on the Glory so far I think this phone is going to be a killer phone ever offered on a non-contract carrier. I hope Cricket is going to work on 4G soon because when they release the Glory and have a better reception, most people are going to switch to them, since Verizon doesn't offer unlimited anymore. This phone is a great opportunity fot Cricket to get more customers and also become the number non-contract carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien90 View Post
    From all the reviews that I've read on the Glory so far I think this phone is going to be a killer phone ever offered on a non-contract carrier. I hope Cricket is going to work on 4G soon because when they release the Glory and have a better reception, most people are going to switch to them, since Verizon doesn't offer unlimited anymore. This phone is a great opportunity fot Cricket to get more customers and also become the number non-contract carrier.
    Cricket should be getting 4G soon: http://www.cricketusers.com/cricket-...t-4g-area.html

Phone
    Huawei Ascend-CM7

Dual Core processors AND 4G? Cricket is really going in! Hope to see more phones like this soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tj Lsn Davis View Post
    Dual Core processors AND 4G? Cricket is really going in! Hope to see more phones like this soon!
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this device!

Phone
    EVO 4G

I went into a Cricket store (authorized reseller) for the first time this past Friday night just to see what kind of setup they have, etc. The rep there didn't know about this Glory that is coming. She only knew about the new Ascend II that's been out. She also was trying to question my Evo's ability to have data fully working. LOL. It's funny that I always know more than the cell phone store reps no matter what carrier it is.

Anyway, the Glory is a step up into the serious smartphone arena for Cricket. The other "4" carriers need to step up their game as the prepaid carriers are picking up marketshare.

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    I went into a Cricket store (authorized reseller) for the first time this past Friday night just to see what kind of setup they have, etc. The rep there didn't know about this Glory that is coming. She only knew about the new Ascend II that's been out. She also was trying to question my Evo's ability to have data fully working. LOL. It's funny that I always know more than the cell phone store reps no matter what carrier it is.

Anyway, the Glory is a step up into the serious smartphone arena for Cricket. The other "4" carriers need to step up their game as the prepaid carriers are picking up marketshare.
    I think the contract carriers will probably always be ahead. For example, right now they're getting 4G 3D devices. We're just starting to get 4G. By the time we get a 3D device, there will be something else out.

Phone
    EVO 4G

I think the contract carriers will probably always be ahead. For example, right now they're getting 4G 3D devices. We're just starting to get 4G. By the time we get a 3D device, there will be something else out.
    Yes, phone wise, they are ahead. As far as plans, the prepaid carriers seem to be kicking in with great plans. As long as we can flash the "big 4's" phones over to the prepaid carrier's plans, then it's a win-win for us.

Quote Originally Posted by ksechrest View Post
    Yes, phone wise, they are ahead. As far as plans, the prepaid carriers seem to be kicking in with great plans. As long as we can flash the "big 4's" phones over to the prepaid carrier's plans, then it's a win-win for us.
    Yeah, it's too bad I can't flash a phone in my market.

Phone
    Huawei Ascend

Why not? Not that I question your knowledge...just wondering what the limitation is. I'd loved to have gotten of the 'big' phones a few months ago, but I'm more than happy to wait for the Glory now days. Been dealing with some glitchiness with CM7 on my Ascend.

Thread Information