Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    Ascend; Galaxy A

Custom kernel and roms for mercury

I have the mercury and have successfully rooted it. I would like to install a custom kernel so that I can oc/uv my processer. I have also attempted to flash cwm to phone with a few obstacles... 1) it recognized my phone model as u8160 when in fact it is m886.... 2) when I tried to flash another rom by psyke the installation fails... I have to wonder if cwm even installed the recovery correctly. I am a noob but I learn quick, adapt easily, and I have a high aptitude for technology.

2. Remove this advertisement.

Rule number 1: don't flash a ROM that isn't made EXACTLY for your phone... Last thing you want is a pretty paperweight. There are currently no ROMs for this phone aside from an alpha build of ICS that has pretty much been abandoned due to lack of dev support, but to be fair it wasn't the devs choice to drop the project. All you can do as an end user is be patient while someone eventually picks up the pooper scooper and shovels the shit, or shovel the shit yourself.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

Phone
    Mercury- ICS 4.0.3

Quote Originally Posted by synchr0nisity View Post
    I have the mercury and have successfully rooted it. I would like to install a custom kernel so that I can oc/uv my processer. I have also attempted to flash cwm to phone with a few obstacles... 1) it recognized my phone model as u8160 when in fact it is m886.... 2) when I tried to flash another rom by psyke the installation fails... I have to wonder if cwm even installed the recovery correctly. I am a noob but I learn quick, adapt easily, and I have a high aptitude for technology.
    How did you manage to root your phone, please tell me the method you used.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Dont rely on Rom Manger, The device wont be supported for another few months. If i had a Mecury id make some roms but at the moment its a no go. Making a aosp rom isnt hard and is better if you have the device at hand. I could try to port cm7 to the mecury as long as i had a rom or stock .zip i could work with. Ill see what i can do.
    Add me on Facebook.com/oriax123

If I helped you, please click '*' at the bottom left of that post.

Phone
    Ascend; Galaxy A

Rooting the mercury

@ ATXiceman512... I successfully rooted my mercury using the method mapped out by s23bog and his thread is the very first one in this forum at the top. It was simple and the directions were quite easy to follow. There are even two YouTube videos illustrating his method.
    Last edited by synchr0nisity; 03-01-2012 at 05:43 PM.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Quote Originally Posted by oriax123 View Post
    Dont rely on Rom Manger, The device wont be supported for another few months. If i had a Mecury id make some roms but at the moment its a no go. Making a aosp rom isnt hard and is better if you have the device at hand. I could try to port cm7 to the mecury as long as i had a rom or stock .zip i could work with. Ill see what i can do.
    If you say its not hard then send me a link with instructions and
    I'll start working on it. Be nice if we could get ics
    Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

Phone
    Ascend; Galaxy A

@ oriax123... Thank you for your input. I would love to learn more about custom roms and experimenting with any compatible Android platforms that may soon become available. If there is anything I can do to assist in facilitating this process and it is not beyond the scope of my own resources/technologiCal comprehension please let me know so I can participate...

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

I just busted out Ubuntu on my laptop again so I'll play with some roms and see what I could make ^^ also there are several methods on making roms. There is android kitchen (Google), start from source etc. Easiest to work on will be a Linux based OS on your computer. you'll need the sources for cm7 or cm9 whichever you prefer and some basic knowledge. I'll play with it habit tonight. Would love other devs to play as well lol

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

done

Ok I made a cm7 2.3.7 custom rom. Will upload tomorrow. BUT remember I take no responsibility if you damage your device, know that I DONT have the phone to test on and that this rom is made from the m865 cm7 rom and cm7 nightly from the evo. if you do brick it then you'll have to wait until either someone makes a nandroid backup of their rom.

Recognized Developer

Phone
    GS3, GNex, RAZR

Ok I made a cm7 2.3.7 custom rom. Will upload tomorrow. BUT remember I take no responsibility if you damage your device, know that I DONT have the phone to test on and that this rom is made from the m865 cm7 rom and cm7 nightly from the evo. if you do brick it then you'll have to wait until either someone makes a nandroid backup of their rom.
    Are you combining 2 CM7 zips together in hopes of a working ROM for the Mercury? Forgive me if that's not the case, but that's what you make it sound like. If that is the case, I wouldn't post it up for users to potentially bork their devices with.

You'd be much better off making a new device config, compiling from AOSP, and working out bugs from there.

M865 device config by PlayfulGod for reference

Also, git/GitHub makes collaborating on things much easier as folks would be able to fork & use pull requests.

Overall activity: 1.0%

Why dont you continue the ics port that.someone else was working on? We were getting close and i would think that would be even easier since its an official update for a phone with very close specs to ours??

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

Quote Originally Posted by mraabhimself:53210
    Are you combining 2 CM7 zips together in hopes of a working ROM for the Mercury? Forgive me if that's not the case, but that's what you make it sound like. If that is the case, I wouldn't post it up for users to potentially bork their devices with.

You'd be much better off making a new device config, compiling from AOSP, and working out bugs from there.

M865 device config by PlayfulGod for reference

Also, git/GitHub makes collaborating on things much easier as folks would be able to fork & use pull requests.
    Lol I'm using that page XD I'm still waiting until I can get some stuff from the mercury if I every get one here or anyone makes a update.zip backup of their rom to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by cas8180:53220
    Why dont you continue the ics port that.someone else was working on? We were getting close and i would think that would be even easier since its an official update for a phone with very close specs to ours??
    I'll also play with that one once I get to work tomorrow, its ported from a gsm model also. I'll have to look up some more info on that in the morning.

Recognized Dev |Łĝıť.|

I posted a rom up for testing in the "mercury ics rom" thread. I used the one the op posted and altered it, added and removed files, and played with the build info and such. Also getting files I need to make another update but will have to wait until someone plays with that one and see what's up.

Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I haven't tried the new roms yet. lol

Overall activity: 10.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

hey cas8180, the ics port was halted because either cricket<or more likely huawei>, will not release the source kernel for the mercury to any of us. The ics releas3ed for the honor is a gsm code and the merc is a cdma phone. Porting is damned near impossible without someone having extensive knowledge in that one area alone. If i were you <and not being rude here>, id read every post any of us have put in there to be kept more abreast of the current pitfalls we have encountered as a group versus just asking random questions. =)

Thread Information