Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Overall activity: 0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury!

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Dont root the mercury

This phone is already sick! Why risk bricking your phone? Rooting it won't really won't make it any better and unless you got money like that why would you wanna risk messing up your phone.

All you noobs out their who are new to smartphones, try not to get tempted to do it yourself!! It voids your warranty btw so be careful. I rooted my hauwei ascend because it was terrible and slow so I thought rooting it would make it faster(nope) it gave me complete control over the phone but I almost bricked it a couple times.

The mercury is fly already why risk messing up a good thing?! I got apps on the market that a bunch of my buddies can't get and they have contract phones. Hmmmm.

Listen I'm not telling you how to live your life but after reading a bunch of post about root issues with the mercury, it's really not worth the headache and money. This phone is super fast,great camera, 2.3 gingerbread, can stream just about any video especially on wifi, compatible for any app out their on the market, battery life could be a little better but it might have the best battery life out all the smartphones cricket has rightnow.

I'm Jahisreal and that's my lil 2cents on the matter... Noobs be afraid be very afraid... If your a regular customer and you don't need all that crap on your phone don't worry be happy :-)

2. Remove this advertisement.
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

home boy gots a valid and straight up the only reason i have a rooted mercury is for dev. at thats it my personal phone is not rooted i rooted it when i first got it just to make a factory backuo

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

I would agree that if you root and replace recovery on your phone to just be able to say you have done it.. But screaming to people DO NOT DO IT YOU SHOULD NOT DO IT . This is not the best way to get your point acress. Just state ROOTING YOUR PHONE WILL PUT ITS OPERATING SYSTEM IN A STATE THAT COULD ALLOW THE USER OR A USER INSTALLED APP TO CAUSE THERE PHONE TO BE NON OPERATIONAL. This type of DAMANGE IS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. Rooting a phone does not TOTALLY VOID THE WARRANTY. But if you root and brick your phone well that is on you.
    reasons to root a phone.
    1 . Complete backups (thru titanium backup)
    2. Tether your internet to be used by other devices (there is tether built in but when you use it cricket want to charge ) use wifi or barnacle instead ..
    3.To Freeze apps on your phone pushes by huawei that run in background all the time (remove bloatware)
    4.To Customize the phone a bit further then can be done with say a launcher replacement "(cant mod sys files if you cant access them )
    5. Because its my phone and i should be able to if i want . (BUT I UNDERSTAND THE RISK AND KNOW The android OS )
    Reasons to not root.
    1. rooting your phone will not speed up your phone in any way .(will allow your run tools and access sysyem files so you can do so)
    2. Often companies do root and file system checks when they are applying OTA(OVER THE AIR) UPDATES. if these checks come back that the firmware has been modified they can and most likely cause the update install to fail..
    3. If you root your phone then cause a Software brick (can useally only be done by altering system files)The company CAN CHARGE YOU TO REPAIR IT.
    4>NUMBER 1 REASON TO NOT ROOT YOUR PHONE .. BECAUSE YOU ARE A NOOB. You do not even know what rooting a phone means . You do not have a clue what a terminal or cmd line are for . You will CRY IF YOUR PHONE GETS BRICKED .
    4> If your mother bought you the phone or it cost more then a DAYS OR TWO PAY. If you cant afford to replace it if bricked DONT DO IT..

HOPE THIS MAKES MORE SENSE NO OFFENCE OPP BUT PEOPLE MAKE BETTER DECISIONS WHEN GIVEN THE FACTS . AND NOT JUST TOLD . DO NOT DO IT..
    BUT NICE THREAD .. Good luck all...... if anything i typed was wrong please make me aware of it.. I enjoy learning new things.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Just like my mercury agin fuk I tried oriax bloat were removel app it erased my recovery from internel SD and and now the phone wont recover at all and if I get to it just freeze s up any time touch the screen even in recovery it will just freeze I'm don't sure if the recovery is bad or that app wiped something it shouldn't of and I have no clue lol considerin I don't have a back up of my stock rom anymore thus is my 7 th phone this month that I've had seen brick from just one single app that you had to flash in recovery phone 1. Is don't ever use SD BOOSTER
    2.DONT PUT YOUR SETTINGS TO WERE YOUR APPS GET INSTALLED TO JUST YOUR EXTERNAL SD KEEP ON INTERNEL

3.DONT FLASH ANYTHING THAT WAS NOT MAD EXCLUSIVELY FOR THE MERCURY

4. IF YOUR GOING TO ROOT JUST DO A BACK UP OF YOUR STOCK ROM SAVE TO YOUR COMPUTER THEN UNROOT IT AND LEAVE IT ALONE

5.THIS ONE IS A GOOD I THOUGHT WAS PRETTY FUNNY WHEN I SEEN SOMEONE FLASH DARKTREMORS A2SD THEN GOT THE BRIGHT IDEA TO GO IN ANDROID TERMINAL AND TYPE THIS
    SU
    A2SD DATASD
    AND FOR THOSE WHO KNOW WHAT. It DOES lol. And for those that don't it puts all your apps the apps catch the apps data EVEN ALL SYSTEM TO YOUR EXTERNAL SD.
    I HAD LAUGH MY ASS WHEN I TOLD HIM DONT DO IT AND DID IT ANY WAY AND HE ONLY HAD THE PHONE FOR 10 MIN

6.THIS IS BUY FAR THE NUMBER 1 BRICK MAGANET --BRICK PRON -- EASY EASY QUICKLY WILL BRICK android THAT I HAVE EVER LAD HANDS ON AND THATS A LOT CONSIDERED THAT I HAVE HAD OVER 37 PHONES :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead:

Sent from my M865 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Android Titan; 04-03-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Phone
    GALAXY S4 MODIFIED

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Dude I can fix my bricked Merc I made a guide took it down cause they banned me

Phone
    Galaxy S3

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Right now im de-branding it so i can remove any missed up firmware and replace it with the the manufacture firmware

Phone
    Huawei Mercury!

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

O_o

First off I explained why not to do it. And at the end I said I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life. You don't have to be so sensitive either. Rooting the mercury Imo isn't a good idea. Especially for noobs who get caught up into rooting their phone and then they try it and totally brick the phone. If you want to root your phone and your good at it then go for it.

Overall activity: 24.0%

Customer Since
    july2012

OK I had to reply lol

first off im new to cricket. the only reason why i am using cricket right now is im waiting for certain phones to drop before i start another 2 year contract. I picked up a mercury from a guy needing gas money and paid 10 bucks for the phone. So I decided to put service on it and use it until I go back with sprint. From first glance it looked pretty generic after playing with it and geting rid of the horrible stock launcher app drawer and background I got go launcher and made it a LIL easier on the eyes. As far as being an awesome phone? or "fly" no.. Its simply better than crickets other phones. It still has a slow single core processor, still running GB, very low ram and minimal res. Its a decent phone for a pre paid phone to use for awhile but nothing on the end of being compared to higher end even older sprint, at&t, or verizon phones. A EVO4g blows the socks off it and that phone is old as dirt. anyway. if you try to root your phone and brick it.. your a noob that didnt need to root in the first place.. to say you dont need to root your phone is BS ....usually..in this sense i can see not rooting it but not out of fear i would brick the device but the lack of devs. on the phone theres what 2 ROMs? barely? theres no need to root honestly cause no one is doing anything for the phones because real good devs are rooting real good phones.. thats not talkin shit its just truth.. with no a2sd cm7,9,or-10 no stable good after update ROMs or kernels are made for this phone? so dont root because you will brick? NO!!! dont root cause theres no real benefit of rooting THIS PHONE!!!! no devs are really working on it maybe one or 2 and thats cool but be realistic.. its a DECENT pre paid phone..not a high end android..if this is the best smartphone you have had and want to play around with rooting, ROMS, and kernels and scripts and tweaks then get a evo for cheap or get a good galaxy s2 or 3 or even a nexus..something that has high DEV. work..ty

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Phone
    Huawei Mercury

I agree the phone is great as it is. I wouldn't root it.

Phone
    Galaxy S3

ericarenee ,True dat boo.

I root because I want access and control to all of my phone and it's functions, namely to run certain apps that only function on rooted phones. Also to make a statement that being a nodding dolt is not something to be proud of.
    Last edited by Cunning Linguist; 07-31-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Customer Since
    1000 B.C.
    Phone
    Kyocera K132

I am Mr.E and I am an alcoholic and I root my phones

Overall activity: 92.0%
    Phone
    Mercury M886

Probably late, but at one point I was a noob. I rooted my mercury as soon as I could because I've heard people sing the praises of the idea. But, its not hard at all. I mean, there's a fast root zip. Its really just about having a good enough attention span to follow directions. Plus if you brick, you can just restore a previous back up. I've done it about 5 times now lol. However, I do see the OP's points, and they're valid ones at that. But to say rooting your phone is for noobs is inaccurate. To say complete idiots with the attention span of a *looks around room for random object* hanger, shouldnt root would probably be more appropriate.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Android Titan View Post
    Right now im de-branding it so i can remove any missed up firmware and replace it with the the manufacture firmware
    Excuse me sir, how might I go about doing that????

Thread Information