Signup Now
In order to make a post or to start a new thread and or to interact with other
members of this board, you wil need to create an account first.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You have to register before you can post. If you have any problems, please contact us.
Flash a phone to Cricket Wireless Become a supporting member of Cricket Users Forum

Welcome to Cricket Users!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Overall activity: 0%

Phone
    Galaxy S3

Too bad they couldn't make the entire backside a battery and bump that sucker up to 5000...

2. Remove this advertisement.

I'm going to chim in on this sense people don't fully understand how this works.

Huawei is not committed to have to provide you with ICS. The carrier's have to pay for upgrade's. I don't know if you guys knew this or not. This is why Samsung phones lack in the update field because that want carriers to pay for every update except major bug releases.

2nd of all you guys are wanting ICS asap. Seriously not even THE TOP 15 handsets have ICS yet so to start filling up there e-mail boxes about ICS is a little early honestly and you might just end up pissing of the wrong person.

In most cases Pre-paid carriers do not update there devices as often if at all as the major carriers BECAUSE ITS NOT PART OF THERE OBLIGATION TO.
    They are not in contract with you. They have nothing stating that if you have there device/service that they will continue to support the device for xx amount of time after you receive it.

I'm just stating this stuff so you guys are aware that you wont receive ICS any time soon for this device. There will probably be a few more devices released on Cricket before any of there handsets even see ICS.

Overall activity: 12.0%

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I just shared what i read... and Honesty if i wanted ics that bad id go buy a device that has it... no need for you to chime in cause nobody had made any claims.. Lol, you just want to toot your own horn..lol

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk 2

Overall activity: 3.0%

Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    I'm going to chim in on this sense people don't fully understand how this works.

Huawei is not committed to have to provide you with ICS. The carrier's have to pay for upgrade's. I don't know if you guys knew this or not. This is why Samsung phones lack in the update field because that want carriers to pay for every update except major bug releases.

2nd of all you guys are wanting ICS asap. Seriously not even THE TOP 15 handsets have ICS yet so to start filling up there e-mail boxes about ICS is a little early honestly and you might just end up pissing of the wrong person.

In most cases Pre-paid carriers do not update there devices as often if at all as the major carriers BECAUSE ITS NOT PART OF THERE OBLIGATION TO.
    They are not in contract with you. They have nothing stating that if you have there device/service that they will continue to support the device for xx amount of time after you receive it.

I'm just stating this stuff so you guys are aware that you wont receive ICS any time soon for this device. There will probably be a few more devices released on Cricket before any of there handsets even see ICS.
    I don't think it is us wanting ICS as much as us wanting the source kernel. Companies that make the hardware behind cell phones are obligated to give out the kernel. It is international law, and companies that do not do so face strong punishment. I personally do not want ICS. I want the source kernel so we can make ICS better for this phone.

If you do not believe me, look up the cases between Motorola and the People, HTC and the People, HP and the People and Barnes and Noble and the People.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

You are correct. It's a violation of GNU, GPL and Apache Licensing. But as far as "wanting and or demanding" a software/rom update don't hold your breath. Push for the source code to be released and let developers do their thing. (Community roms are typically better and more feature rich anyway.) Also keep in mind this is still a prepaid device and this company isn't under the same amount of pressure and expectation as Samsung, HTC, Motorola etc. Not to discourage anyone but pushing for source would likely serve the community better on the whole. Plus it would likely happen before a full build from the manufacturer would.

Sent from my GNex via TapaTalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Baalson View Post
    I don't think it is us wanting ICS as much as us wanting the source kernel. Companies that make the hardware behind cell phones are obligated to give out the kernel. It is international law, and companies that do not do so face strong punishment. I personally do not want ICS. I want the source kernel so we can make ICS better for this phone.

If you do not believe me, look up the cases between Motorola and the People, HTC and the People, HP and the People and Barnes and Noble and the People.
    I'm fully aware of what goes on in the mobile world.
    They have never publicly announced they will not be releasing source code and there is no time set on the GNU, GPL or anything that forces them to have to put a rush on the delivery of the source code. There could be complications that are preventing them from getting it up any time soon. Just because they have the source does not mean its ready to be published, it takes time to make a publishable source code.

stark74 is right this is a prepaid phone, there isn't the mass amount of pressure on them like the other manufactures.

Banned
    Overall activity: 1.0%

why would you say kernel source for mercury 2.3.6 may not be ready or available for public. the os is on our phone . The manufacturer is responsible to release it and make it available at the time they distribute the os running on top of it.. read the very first post of this thread. The code that Huawei OWES US is source for the os running on the phone NOW. Not ICS . Does not matter if its one cell phone 1 million cell phones or a end user that takes the linux kernel and mods it. If that person distributes it to anyone even one other persON That makes them under gpl to post the source code . I will add compiler code that will produce the exact same kernel that they are running there rom on top of. So anyone who thinks huawei does not owe us nothing YOU ARE VERY WRONG..

hope this clears everything up and brings everyone back to the same page. when they release ics . WELL IF but not likely then we can scream for source for ics..

That's exactly what I was saying. Besides there's several ics roms running on modded gingerbread kernels. We went through all sorts of stuff to get the source from HTC on a couple different devices.(The Thunderbolt specifically.) The way I interpreted GNU and GPL is that they're supposed to be released on or around launch of any specific device.

Open = 's

mkdir android
    cd android
    repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git
    repo sync
    make

If we can't do that...the manufacturer is wrong.

Sent from my GNex via TapaTalk 2

Yes to be in full with GPL witch hardly any company is (HTC, MOTOROLA, SAMSUNG) etc they should release at the time they release the hardware. HTC Doesn't Moto Doesn't etc it takes them a few weeks to months before a release of source code but YES eventually they do release. It also specifically states if asked for the source that in order to comply with the GPL they would have to publish it.
    It even specifically states
    "The licensee is allowed to charge a fee for this service, or do this free of charge."

Even worse is that if they wanted to be dicks about it, they could publish the source code in obfuscated way as this doesn't directly violate the GPL either. Witch would make / take time for you to reverse whats going on with the obfuscated code
    As long as the code compiled and gave you a working kernel in the end.

Just because your device has a kernel on it and they were able to build it on a local platform does not mean that its ready for it to be uploaded and compiled on any machine.

Just look at ICS for example they had there Nexus 4G LTE out for almost 2 months before you couldnt get the source code for ICS because they had issues with compiling and uploading to the server at the time. Of course they rush this because DEVELOPERS need the software to develop for android.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't release it. All I stated is that with out a big push they wont listen. E-mailing them over and over again wont do much as they could just blacklist your e-mail. If you want to get a bigger push going. Send a e-mail to some of the xda writers and get a larger community involved. I'm not making an argument. I have been in this business for a very long time.
    If you want something done, then your going to need a larger push and from a respectful place before something will most likely happen.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

license-violation@gnu.org Send and e-mail here to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information